Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Cooking for one...Cooking ahead of time for the busy work weekdays

Last post Tue, Jan 28 2014 2:34 PM by Gayla57. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 26 2014 7:02 PM

Cooking for one...Cooking ahead of time for the busy work weekdays

Cooking for just myself now...

But sometimes my  daughter (a new working mommie with no time to spare) will stop by after a busy work day and I will gladly have her choose

"shoebox main meals" to take home too.   These are frozen main meal items that I have put into a clear "shoebox" plastic containers..in individual sandwich

sized baggies ..so for example today I cooked in my crockpot a package of bonless chicken breast 1.59 lb on sale at Frys/Krogers with a 1/2 jar of

salsa.store brand 1.99..(used only half).... then shredded.the chicken and placed  6 individual servings into sandwich sized baggies labeled and froze flat in my

freezer, when frozen I put them (standing up like a card) in a clear shoebox sized container which i keep in my freezer labeled "main meals"....so each

weekend I only cook one new "main meal"..but on the average after cooking a small roast or meatloaf or whatever I usually have 4 to 6 to freeze.  You could

adapt the portion size to your family...I started doing this mainly because I don"t like to eat the same thing day after day yet wanted the convience of

not cooking after a 10 hour work day.  I also do this with my veggies...just divide up a 16 oz. bag into small portions it saves me time..and no food waste...

Im not trying to cook for the whole month...just to have main meals ready after a long day's work.

Hope this helpful for someone else...Take care my friends    deb in az

• Sun, Jan 26 2014 8:39 PM In reply to

Re: Cooking for one...Cooking ahead of time for the busy work weekdays

I tend to cook dishes that have a lot of leftovers, like spaghetti, chili, etc. I freeze the leftovers in single-serve portions and DH and I take them to work in our lunches, or we'll eat them for a quick meal at home sometimes. If the leftover freezer is full, I'll cook dishes that won't have leftovers until there's space in that freezer for more leftovers. Jill
  • Mon, Jan 27 2014 4:34 PM In reply to

• Elsi
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 12 2009
    • TX, USA
    • Posts 503

Although we're now empty nesters, I grew up cooking for a family of 6.  At its peak, my own family was 6 people.  So I don't have a lot of "recipes" that are for only two people. Grilling chicken breasts or pork chops or burgers is about the only "for two" cooking that we do.  So most everything else makes 4-6 serviings.  I always cook before breaking the dish down into smaller portions.  I sometimes freeze 1/2 or more of a big dish to eat at another date.  Sometimes we plan on eating it a day or two later for lunches.  (Last night I put 2 servings of chili into the freezer.)

• Mon, Jan 27 2014 6:11 PM In reply to

I do alot of prep cooking as well.. We use a toaster oven ($60) best item I have ever bought we needed a bigger size so I spent then extra 20 to get the bigger style.. I cook everything in this plus it cuts down using the big oven for just a 8 X 8 pan..

We purchase only chicken breasts to eat ( DD doesn't like dark meat) and since we both are not big meat eaters I will grind when on sale 20 pounds of ground chicken for $1.69 per pound and freeze into 1/2 pound packages to avoid waste..& into the freeze it goes. This will last us about 3-4 month if not more.. I will also take 10 pounds and make shredded chicken cooking in the crockpot and into individual baggies it will go as well.. & then I will use the broth freeze for use later..

Prep 2 pound of black beans and 2 pounds of different types of rice package into individual amounts (into sandwich baggies & into gallon bag for quick access)

I make a meal like Lasagna for us I will make 8 x 8 pan then freeze 2 slices (to allow for quick dinner night or quick lunch) plus we avoid waste...

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/
    http://tactilepleasure.blogspot.com/

Cell Phone Holders 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 18
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 13
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• Mon, Jan 27 2014 6:12 PM In reply to

I do alot of prep cooking as well.. We use a toaster oven ($60) best item I have ever bought we needed a bigger size so I spent then extra 20 to get the bigger style.. I cook everything in this plus it cuts down using the big oven for just a 8 X 8 pan..

We purchase only chicken breasts to eat ( DD doesn't like dark meat) and since we both are not big meat eaters I will grind when on sale 20 pounds of ground chicken for $1.69 per pound and freeze into 1/2 pound packages to avoid waste..& into the freeze it goes. This will last us about 3-4 month if not more.. I will also take 10 pounds and make shredded chicken cooking in the crockpot and into individual baggies it will go as well.. & then I will use the broth freeze for use later..

Prep 2 pound of black beans and 2 pounds of different types of rice package into individual amounts (into sandwich baggies & into gallon bag for quick access)

I make a meal like Lasagna for us I will make 8 x 8 pan then freeze 2 slices (to allow for quick dinner night or quick lunch) plus we avoid waste...

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/
    http://tactilepleasure.blogspot.com/

Cell Phone Holders 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 18
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 13
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• Tue, Jan 28 2014 2:34 PM In reply to

i grew up cooking for a crowed  My Pearl , Daddy, Uncle Bert , and the guys tht worked for us .. when I married  for 5 years it just was us and occasionaly my Daddy and or his Mother or Aunt Pat ... then we got the boys John was only 16 months and Jamie was 3 days then with a month we had Ricky and Joel  surprize kids that havent had eat alot I usually have at least 10 or more each meal I cook all the time good thing I am good at it ...my DD tried to make spaghertti for two she cooked an extra pound she said Mama how you do when it was just you and Daddy he said baby we havent been alone much she said so you just go out he said yes he laughed I make her pay ...+                                                                           

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us