Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Financial Abundance in 2014

Last post Sat, Jul 19 2014 8:40 PM by tracyinmn. 128 replies.
Page 4 of 13 (129 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 15 2014 10:58 PM In reply to

Re: Financial Abundance in 2014

Whitney: Sounds like you're doin' good! And so smart not to take that 'month off' from paying because the interest keeps on accumulating!
  • Sat, Jan 18 2014 4:52 AM In reply to

mommabee:
    We are trying not to spend much this year. It's been going "fair" I would say. We don't spend alot on clothes or household items. The cars have been holding up but we will need to get another one for the new driver in the house this Summer. I'm not sure how that will play out yet. I've discussed just having him share my car but DH refuses. That opinion may change by Summer, though. We don't have much left over after bills are paid. So, we watch every penny. My mom is very sick and I'll need to fly out to see her at some point and that will be an expense. So, we will have some rough patches as well this year.

Thanks for sharing and know that you are not alone. We all have places where we can cut back and save money. I am going to another frutería (fruit store) that has great quality fruits and veggies at a good price. Also, making meals at home has helped as well. Writing down every purchase (or, if you choose to use an app) has helped me to see what I really need to spend money on.

Louise Hay has a wonderful video on YouTube that talks about prosperity. Look it up. It is called "Recibiendo Prosperidad." It is not in Spanish, but, the subtitles are. She talks about how many of us have hangups with money due to the past, or even our parents and what we learned from them when it comes to finances. A very powerful video. Allow yourself to be open to hear what she has to say. It has really changed my way of thinking when it comes to money.

Whitney,

Great job! I am still communicating with Sallie Mae, and, eveidently, they are really backed up processing in school deferment forms. I will have to wait and see what the answer has been. Their customer service department hasn't been the most helpful in the world, but, I am persisitent in getting them to understand my situation.

Best,

Shawn

You control your money. Don't let your money control you!
  • Sat, Jan 18 2014 7:48 AM In reply to

• swedluv
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 8 2008
    • North Carolina
    • Posts 1,713

Yesterday I paid $25 on the access one account..down to $88. 14 for the balance. I'm going to pay $25 on dh's visa, bringing it back down to $815. Little bits at a time!
    Lynn

• Sat, Jan 18 2014 12:08 PM In reply to

I have a big college bill I need to pay in the next 16 weeks, I will need to see how to pay that.

Currently it is overwhelming me. 

• Sun, Jan 19 2014 2:45 PM In reply to

tracyinmn:

I have a big college bill I need to pay in the next 16 weeks, I will need to see how to pay that.

Currently it is overwhelming me. 

Tracy,

Please do not let the situation overwhelm you. Sit down and think of some possible solutions and calm your mind in order to find those solutions. Sit, be still, meditate and know that the answers are within you.

Cheers,

Shawn

• Sun, Jan 19 2014 3:20 PM In reply to

Thanks, Shawn.  I took the car he was driving which is badly broken off of insurance, it has a cracked radiator and leaking power steering. That saves $100 a month.  My food budget is $200 less this month, I spent about $420 for 7 of us, and I think that will be it.  So that is $600. The bill is $3700. I will pay $200 or $300 this week. I picked up a shift tonight, that will also be $200. I will pay that when it shows up in my check, in a month or so. So far, I see the way to pay $800 or so.  I do have a few months to figure out the other $2900. I am hoping he can find an on campus job. He changed his financial aid to ask for a work study job. Slow and steady, how does that sound Shawn?  I had gotten the bill and it looked doable, so we were excited and I paid tuition down payment and down payment for housing. However, the bill was for tuition only, the room and board got added after I had looked at the financial aid. It is $2200 for dorm and $1500 for food. Just found out the total last week, when he was moving in. I said we would make it happen. I will do my utmost to make it happen. 

• Sun, Jan 19 2014 10:37 PM In reply to

Can your ex not pay some or your son get a student loan?  I know you want to help but you can only do so much esp when you get a few kids in college.

• Mon, Jan 20 2014 10:56 AM In reply to

tracyinmn:

Thanks, Shawn.  I took the car he was driving which is badly broken off of insurance, it has a cracked radiator and leaking power steering. That saves $100 a month.  My food budget is $200 less this month, I spent about $420 for 7 of us, and I think that will be it.  So that is $600. The bill is $3700. I will pay $200 or $300 this week. I picked up a shift tonight, that will also be $200. I will pay that when it shows up in my check, in a month or so. So far, I see the way to pay $800 or so.  I do have a few months to figure out the other $2900. I am hoping he can find an on campus job. He changed his financial aid to ask for a work study job. Slow and steady, how does that sound Shawn?  I had gotten the bill and it looked doable, so we were excited and I paid tuition down payment and down payment for housing. However, the bill was for tuition only, the room and board got added after I had looked at the financial aid. It is $2200 for dorm and $1500 for food. Just found out the total last week, when he was moving in. I said we would make it happen. I will do my utmost to make it happen. 

Tracy,

Sounds like a great plan to me. Work study is a great way to have extra money during the semester and student loans, like Martha suggested, will help in the beginning, but encourage your son to make the best grades possible and that way, he won't have to end up with student loan debt. Many of my friends who made good grades got scholarships and grants and that helped them to make it through. 

Congrats on not letting it get you down and finding some possible solutions. Yes, little by little.

Shawn

• Mon, Jan 20 2014 11:19 AM In reply to

Martha, he does have some loans. His dad will not buy anything extra for the kids, once one of my daughters had a project, I sent her brads, wire, cardboard, glue to her dad's. She left the felt at home. My ex called me at work to say she needed it, he would not take her to the craft store and buy a piece of felt for seventeen cents.  He said "I pay child support."  I buy all uniforms, activities, braces, school supplies, school fees, Girl Scout fees, shoes, coats, underwear, pencils, dentists copays, prom dresses, tux rentals, ski days, valentines, etc. I will be submitting the glasses and braces so he pays his share, that is in the decree. I will have to send to the child support office to get it.

I have another job interview tomorrow, this job would give me health insurance and less childcare expenses.  I do however, like my job now a lot, so I have mixed feelings about it. 

Onward and upward!  I did pay a little extra on my targeted credit card, I don't want to totally give up debt reduction. Come Sept, I will have two in college, I don't think it will get easier. 

• Mon, Jan 20 2014 1:43 PM In reply to

my DD will start work on her Master next semester she decided that she wanted to help after the fact figure got figured out she was very happy that Mommy and Daddy wrote the check she had no idea .. DH said she deposits 75% of her check , she a social worker she is fluent in Spanish and with the growing population it pays the county to have some one who can take on that role ..  She and her boyfriend  are saving for their marriage because she makes more that he does her Daddy and I suggested she keep hers in her own account good because she found out this weekend he used what he had in the joint account to put the down payment on a new truck he said his was almost 5 years old and he  thought it a good deal . we known his parents  DH grew up with the father and we known them since they married ... Dont think they have a penny of saving and they live on cc all the time .   

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Page 4 of 13 (129 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us