Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Financial Abundance in 2014

Last post Sat, Jul 19 2014 8:40 PM by tracyinmn. 128 replies.
Page 3 of 13 (129 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 11 2014 3:36 PM In reply to

Re: Financial Abundance in 2014

I've had quite a few no spend days so far for the month of January! A definite improvement on what has transpired in recent years! Keeping tracking of every purchase, no matter how small, has been both informative and empowering. I'm not sure if it's the fact that I'm more aware of the little money wasters, or if I'm too embarrassed to have to write them down, but the daily tracking has inspired me to want and spend less! And when I do spend, I'm paying even more attention to buying quality for longevity than I ever did before! Thanks Shawn for starting this thread, and for inspiring me to get started on the path to Financial Abundance Blessings!

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
  • Sat, Jan 11 2014 4:17 PM In reply to

Kassy and Tim,

Thanks for your input. I can see how writing things down do make me think about my purchases and the "little wasters" do add up. I am tackling this issue right now. One of the students at the bank where I teach told me to do an excel sheet, and I told him that I have to write it down. I am able to take my little book with me. 

Let's all reach our financial goals this year.

Cheers,

Shawn

You control your money. Don't let your money control you!
  • Sat, Jan 11 2014 7:31 PM In reply to

redw4552:

Kassy and Tim,

Thanks for your input. I can see how writing things down do make me think about my purchases and the "little wasters" do add up. I am tackling this issue right now. One of the students at the bank where I teach told me to do an excel sheet, and I told him that I have to write it down. I am able to take my little book with me. 

Let's all reach our financial goals this year.

Cheers,

Shawn

I failed miserably at my attempts to track my daily spending with pen and paper. I have had more success with the free app on my iPad. There is nothing like seeing instant updates to spending totals, as well as charts to keep it all in perspective. It doesn't matter what system you use, as long as you stick with it!

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
  • Sun, Jan 12 2014 12:01 AM In reply to

i think this is a great idea. i am going to start tracking my spending every day

• Sun, Jan 12 2014 8:57 AM In reply to

timzagain:
    It doesn't matter what system you use, as long as you stick with it!

Tim, 

Exactly my way of thinking. I am sticking with it and am determined to make this work. Having a rough patch so far, but, I have to realize that it won't be forever. Time to make major changes.

Cheers,

Shawn

You control your money. Don't let your money control you!
  • Mon, Jan 13 2014 2:44 PM In reply to

Made a cc payment on Friday.  Hopefully that will be enough to cover the minimum payment for the month.  I should know in a couple of days.  I don't do online banking and the new cc statement hasn't come in yet. 

DH talked to subrogation dept. about getting back our deductible.  Our insurance says they sent the paperwork.  He's said they don't have it yet.  I told him to give it a week & call back tobe sure they got it.  It could takes months to a year before we get our money back.  We have decided that once we're debt-free, we will have a third automobile.  That way, we'll have a back-up car if something like this happens again.  The wreck can sit in the garage until insurance coughs up the money & we won't be in this situation again.

DH is still very on board with paying down cc debt.  I'm doing all I can.  Our tax refund & my longevity check will both go toward that this spring.

• Mon, Jan 13 2014 6:53 PM In reply to

are debt free  but as an experiment we recording what we spend. DH said everything ? he stops and gets coffee and sandwhich he said you know I spend alot of money I said propably  he trying for a month .....we see how it goes .. and I keeping track too

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

• Mon, Jan 13 2014 7:52 PM In reply to

Whitney: If you call the customer service number on the back of your credit card you can find out what the balance is at that moment. You don't need to wait until you get the bill. Just a thought!
  • Tue, Jan 14 2014 11:27 AM In reply to

Yep, I do that every Friday, just to keep on top of it!  I make a payment every other Friday.  I got the statement yesterday in the mail.  We've been such good customers that we don't have to make a payment this month...; thanks, but no thanks!  According to what the minimum payment would have been, I made the minimum plus some on Friday.
  • Wed, Jan 15 2014 10:14 PM In reply to

We are trying not to spend much this year. It's been going "fair" I would say. We don't spend alot on clothes or household items. The cars have been holding up but we will need to get another one for the new driver in the house this Summer. I'm not sure how that will play out yet. I've discussed just having him share my car but DH refuses. That opinion may change by Summer, though. We don't have much left over after bills are paid. So, we watch every penny. My mom is very sick and I'll need to fly out to see her at some point and that will be an expense. So, we will have some rough patches as well this year.
Page 3 of 13 (129 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us