Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Financial Abundance in 2014

Last post Sat, Jul 19 2014 8:40 PM by tracyinmn. 128 replies.
Page 2 of 13 (129 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 2 2014 9:55 AM In reply to

Re: Financial Abundance in 2014

redw4552:
    I have already decided to stop having my morning cup of coffee and breakfast for ($2.75) three days a week and I will no longer eat lunch at school on Mondays ($4.81).

That's almost $8/week, Shawn. $32/month. $16 a month can get you a can of coffee and, if you plan well, at least 4 lunches. Maybe make some chili, soups or a casserole and you can take that for lunch, pocketing the $16 left!

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • Thu, Jan 2 2014 1:53 PM In reply to

I don't want to give an amount, just know that we have a truck payment, car payment, camper payment, & credit card payment.  We have more debt now that we did at this time last year because DH's truck was totalled in August & he bought a brand new one.  Hopefully this one will last at least 18 years like the first one did!

We are still paying more than minimum on the credit card every month as this is our main concern.  We are putting our change in a bucket for vacation money.  We still don't eat out much & I don't go to the grocery store unless I have too.  When I do, I have a list.

We spent more than usually in December because of Christmas and our anniversary, but we had less expense for Boys & Girls Club dues & DD's lunch money for school.  My parent's gave me some money for Christmas & I put it into savings.  Until I get refunded for the deductible on my car repair, we need that extra cushion in savings. 

I work for an elected official who is not running for re-election this year.  I may not have a job come September 1, but I'm trying not to stress over something I have no control over.  I will continue to save & pay down debts just as I have been.

We are back at square one because we bought the truck, but we are working on it.  Onward & upward!

• Fri, Jan 3 2014 7:16 AM In reply to

Grannie_Sue:
    redw4552:
    I have already decided to stop having my morning cup of coffee and breakfast for ($2.75) three days a week and I will no longer eat lunch at school on Mondays ($4.81).

That's almost $8/week, Shawn. $32/month. $16 a month can get you a can of coffee and, if you plan well, at least 4 lunches. Maybe make some chili, soups or a casserole and you can take that for lunch, pocketing the $16 left!

Thanks for the advice Susan, but, I have already done the calculations and know what needs to be done. I have my plan to eat at home and take a small breakfast with me to school. The funny thing is that I only drink coffee when I am in a bar or café here in Madrid. I only do tea at home.

Lunch will be done at home.

Cheers,

Shawn

You control your money. Don't let your money control you!
  • Fri, Jan 3 2014 7:19 AM In reply to

whitney37354:
    . . . but we are working on it.  Onward & upward!

That's the spirit, Whitney. There are many things in life that we simply cannot control. We deal with them as they come. I am taking my situation as it comes and am taking baby steps to find solutions to them.

Stay strong!

Sending you lotsa love from Madrid,

Shawn

• Fri, Jan 3 2014 11:12 AM In reply to

Great thread!

I'm redoubling my efforts to live on less than 1/2 of my takehome pay.  I want to buy at least one day of not working for every day I work.   I sat down last night and started a new budget.  Shaving a bit more off my food expenses will be the easiest as I've been slack about going out to lunch with friends or picking up a snack.  Those things undermine my budget and my health goals so it will be doubly rewarding to stick to this new plan.    I was also shredding some old financial documents and found my 2007 budget...it will be fun to see if I've made progress in spite of inflation.

• Tue, Jan 7 2014 4:04 AM In reply to

Maggie Trudeau:
    I was also shredding some old financial documents and found my 2007 budget...it will be fun to see if I've made progress in spite of inflation.

Please let us know how it goes. I have already started writing down every single purchase and saving the receipts as well to go in my notebook. I will make sure that I know exactly where my money goes and what I am spending.

Shawn

• Thu, Jan 9 2014 3:29 PM In reply to

Are we to post our progress here, "out of the red 2014" or both?  I should be posting a small victory tomorrow.
  • Thu, Jan 9 2014 4:25 PM In reply to

Let's keep it all in one thread, this one was started first, and I like the idea of using our dollars to get an abundant life. 

I have had many expenses this week with a birthday tomorrow and taking ds to a dorm today.  I will need to do several days of "no money out" for the rest of the month. I am setting a goal of 12 no money out days and will make a point of adding a little mark in my planner on the days so I can track it. 

• Sat, Jan 11 2014 9:17 AM In reply to

tracyinmn:
    Let's keep it all in one thread, this one was started first, and I like the idea of using our dollars to get an abundant life.

Hi Tracy,

I thought of using the word "abundance" because it is not a word that we use so often in our everyday language. With so many news sources choosing to talk about the crisis and how things are getting worse, the concept of abundance can be easily forgotten. Let's make it happen this year.

I am writing down every single purchase that I make and will be doing a lot more eating at home. Will be trying out new recipes as well to add some variety to my life. I like the idea of having days where no money is spent. I will have to add that to my list of things to accomplish as well. Thanks so much for the idea.

We can do this!

Shawn

• Sat, Jan 11 2014 10:56 AM In reply to

Tracy: We wrote down everything we spent daily for years until we didn't need to anymore. I always put a happy face sticker on the calendar when we spent nothing that day. On the other days it was NND (no new debt) or, if we charged anything (which we did fewer and fewer times) a sad face was drawn in red ink! :) Yes, we made kind of a game out of it. Then I did the totals for each month and compared. Some of this is the only ways I could motivate myself to stay on track! Also, we spent no change. Quarters go into piggy bank to save up for gas for vacation. The rest goes into a small container (keep it small so you feel you are accomplishing something) and then taken to the bank where we put it into a savings account for our grandkids. Just a few of the 'silly' things we did/do! Keep on keepin' on!
Page 2 of 13 (129 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us