Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Christmas 2014

Last post Mon, Jun 2 2014 3:03 PM by timzagain. 36 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 7 2014 9:29 AM In reply to

Re: Christmas 2014

I get everyone socks each year so when I was in WM, I picked up a package for each of the granddaughters. One is a set of six bright stripes and the other is a set of six bright polka dots! $4.25 a package and into the Christmas bin they go!
    Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • Wed, Jan 8 2014 10:40 AM In reply to

timzagain:
    At a holiday gathering, a woman was using her homemade cloth christmas napkins!   They are basically a halfcircle of fabric, double thickness, with a nubbin near one end.  When ironed and folded properly, they look like pine trees.   I loved it and she drew me a pattern.  I'm going to pick up some nice fabric and send it to my sister-in-law along with the pattern then pay her to make some for my mom (I can't sew and she could use the money

Under Hobbies & Crafts there is a picture & pattern posted for those napkins: Pine Tree or Christmas Tree Cloth Napkins Pattern Pdf to download
  • Thu, Jan 9 2014 3:27 PM In reply to

I got Christmas cards 75% off for next year.  I got all they had of one design.  I think I got five boxes for what 2 would have regularly costs.  Plus, I have extras left over from 2013, so I should be good for this year.  I didn't do any shopping ahead of the season this year & don't think I will this year either. 

All the kids are getting older & want specific things & change their minds often, so it'll be easier to just do it in November/December, even though it stresses me to wait that long!  Besides, I may not have a job come September 1 (election year), so we're trying to pay down all debts we can & not spend more than needed this year.

• Thu, Jan 16 2014 12:09 PM In reply to

Every time I buy groceries, I am buying either a Burts Bees lip balm, or one of the small BB tins of Lemon Cuticle Butter.  DH uses it to keep his toenail fungus in check.  After all the Rx meds we have tried over the years, this little tin of stuff works the best, costs a lot less, & he loves it, so I tuck it into his stocking along with the lip balm. In 2013 each stocking held a round of either smoked or regular gouda cheese, a small handful of peppermint nougats, a cutie clementine, a lip balm, a lemon cuticle butter, & a tin of hard lotion. I already have the hard lotion, since I ordered bulk for this year.  If I have the lip balms & lemon butters, stockings will be basically done.

I found a very cute Advent calendar on the Prudent Homemaker site, with pockets to hold cards with activities on them, like putting up the tree, hanging wreaths, delivering gifts to neighbors, making cookies, playing in the snow, going sledding, putting out the nativity, wrapping presents, going caroling, etc.  I am considering making those for my children this year for Christmas, and have inquired of each what activities they most remember doing & enjoying around Christmas.I love that they are activities, not more little toys or treats, & if I do this, I will print off more than 25 cards for each family, so they can choose what to put in the pockets each year. Some things, like baking cookies, and playing in the snow, can go in more than once.

• Thu, Jan 16 2014 12:20 PM In reply to

• brenl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 4 2008
    • Wayne county
    • Posts 2,426

I have a cook book for my son that was on clearance at Barnes and Noble. Plus I have 6 small baskets that I got on clearance at Wal-Mart. I have started putting money back each paycheck for Christmas. I know that I can save if I start buying know. but I don't have the room to store it and spend more on the kids then I normally would. So I have decided to wait for tip closer to time to buy. Then I am also planning on cutting back on how much I spend. Since the kids are getting older they don't need as much.
  • Thu, Jan 16 2014 6:27 PM In reply to

This year we gave my nephew and his wife $500.00 for Christmas they went to Smokie Mts. they got snowed in but said they had fun. They do so much for us that was just a small token of appreciation.
  • Sat, Jan 18 2014 8:52 PM In reply to

As a former Arbonne consultan, I still have lots of little samples, and some inventory of cosmetics, I am going to go through my box of goods, and see what I may gave in there, thst I could possibly set aside for my daughter for her birthday in February. My only problem is what do I get her twin brother? Somehow I just dont think hed really appreciate receiving cosmetics for his birthday. Lol
    ~*~Angie~*~

• Sun, Apr 13 2014 2:02 PM In reply to

• brenl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 4 2008
    • Wayne county
    • Posts 2,426

Got a dvd with three movies for my son.
  • Sun, Apr 13 2014 6:33 PM In reply to

I haven't given much thought to Christmas. There's been too much going on in my life otherwise. Quite unusual for me, as Christmas is typically on my radar 11.5 months of the year! A few weeks ago, I picked up 10 packets of a vitamin mask for $1, stocking stuffers for the two older girls, both 22. Not a whole lot of progress!

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
  • Sun, Apr 13 2014 10:51 PM In reply to

I am gifting 15 individuals this year: DH, DD#1 & SIL, DS & DIL, DD#2 & SIL, DD# 3, DGD #1, #2, &#3, DGS #1 &#2, and MIL/FIL

I have the hard lotions, lip balms & cuticle butters for the stockings, & the gift for MIL/FIL

I have been working on the Advent calendar cards, & have a list of activity ideas that I will scrapbook onto the cards, to go in the pockets. I have been collecting various"backing" for these, including backs of old Christmas cards, cardboard from red Mtn Dew boxes, & some cutouts from Kleenex boxes.

I have made multiple bookmarks, using scraps of cardstock & cut outs from the American Girl catalog they send me, which will be included in the AG mystery books that one DGD will receive for both her birthday in summer & for Christmas. 5 books are ready to go for the bd, & I am working on Christmas. These are all 2nd hand, but look new.

I am making a cross-stitch checkerboard for DH. The stitching is done, but the piece needs framed. I am looking for checkers & think I may have found some I like for $6.

Page 3 of 4 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us