Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Christmas 2014

Last post Mon, Jun 2 2014 3:03 PM by timzagain. 36 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Dec 29 2013 3:12 PM In reply to

Re: Christmas 2014

After working so hard on hand made gifts this year, I have decided that next year will just be gift cards.  Money seems to go over better than love.

Except for BFF who loves everything I have ever made for her.

retired 

• Mon, Dec 30 2013 9:19 AM In reply to

retired:

After working so hard on hand made gifts this year, I have decided that next year will just be gift cards.  Money seems to go over better than love;

Sad but true. That's why I've become very selective about who I give handmade gifts! Sometimes the investment of effort and love into our handmade gifts are completely lost on the recipient. Just pour your creative energy into gifts for those who would appreciate it!

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
  • Thu, Jan 2 2014 1:26 PM In reply to

• map578
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 25 2011
    • Posts 462

retired,

I love handmade things and I have a daughter who does not craft but she buys me something handmade every year. This year she bought me hot pads that someone she knows makes. She also made peanut butter balls for everyone including all her aunts and uncles.

We try to include something home made every year. My youngest daughter has not caught on yet but my oldest daughter and I love to do this. With my new sewing machine that I received this year there are a lot of possibilities for next year.

• Fri, Jan 3 2014 8:56 AM In reply to

Because of my medical emergency we only gave gifts to my nieces, both around DD's age. So my little Christmas tree shaped treat containers are still in storage. I will use those this year and fill them with fudge and maybe peanut brittle or some other homemade candy. That and another baked good will be for the adults. The teens and young adults will get gift cards, usually attached to a large candy bar our some other treat item, and they will probably be for a smaller amount this year as we have lots of medical bills to pay on thus year. Going to buy gift cards when Kroger offers bonus fuel points. Seems to be the best time overall but may mean waiting until December. My big gift to family will be the meal. I generally cook a meal for 12-18 from scratch and couldn't do that this year so would love to do it this year.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Fri, Jan 3 2014 10:08 AM In reply to

I recieved two handmade gifts . One from DS#2 and one from DS#3.

DS#2 painted a pallet like the American Flag. He added a back to it. it is suppose to be a planter that you plant between the pallet boards. Not sure what I will plant in it.

DS#3 gave me something made from a piece of old barnboard. It is about 20 inches wide. It has three canning jars attached with a metal clamp. I think that I will change the jars to old Ball blue jars. They are quart size.  Then maybe add dried flowers in the jars, coudl also hold kitchen spoons, wisk and etc.

I love them both. Nice that your kids will take time to find a special gift. Babs

• Fri, Jan 3 2014 11:21 AM In reply to

brenl:
    As we are finishing Christmas for this year . It might be time for some to start buying, some are planning for, some are beginning to save for next year. It is time to think if you want to do things differently. Like buy more know while things are clearance or save and buy more later. Lets share what you are planning on doing.

At a holiday gathering, a woman was using her homemade cloth christmas napkins!   They are basically a halfcircle of fabric, double thickness, with a nubbin near one end.  When ironed and folded properly, they look like pine trees.   I loved it and she drew me a pattern.  I'm going to pick up some nice fabric and send it to my sister-in-law along with the pattern then pay her to make some for my mom (I can't sew and she could use the money).   

• Fri, Jan 3 2014 12:24 PM In reply to

Maggie Trudeau:

brenl:
    As we are finishing Christmas for this year . It might be time for some to start buying, some are planning for, some are beginning to save for next year. It is time to think if you want to do things differently. Like buy more know while things are clearance or save and buy more later. Lets share what you are planning on doing.

At a holiday gathering, a woman was using her homemade cloth christmas napkins!   They are basically a halfcircle of fabric, double thickness, with a nubbin near one end.  When ironed and folded properly, they look like pine trees.   I loved it and she drew me a pattern.  I'm going to pick up some nice fabric and send it to my sister-in-law along with the pattern then pay her to make some for my mom (I can't sew and she could use the money).   

The pine tree napkins sound lovely! Sounds like something I'd like to try! I was able to score some free gifts today! We were sorting through some stuff at the school where I work, including a bunch of new books donated for a recent fund raiser. I was allowed to select a few! Now I have three gifts, completely free! Woohoo! Great start to the gift giving for 2014

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
  • Fri, Jan 3 2014 2:52 PM In reply to

sorry to hear that your gifts weren't appreciated retired.   I think people have to appreciate handmade things to get them.  even if they don't make them or not that type of craft.  of course needs to be in their taste or ability to eat.  

my christmas tree is full of homemade things. mil made lots of ornaments in the past plus kids ones. some things hand crafted like the african angels I got last year. even little mittens from pat.

• Mon, Jan 6 2014 2:31 PM In reply to

got some things for birthday gifts  walmart, a boxed set of about 20 costume earrings for dd friends bday   $5 instead of $10.   8 gift bags .25 each for next year   holiday packed box of fancy feast and treats  half price.  cats don't care about packaging. one for me and one for mom.  not keeping it just cheap way to get food . 

got  at bed bath and beyond  half price damask tablecloths about $8-9 each. autumn and xmas leftovers. and two sets of nice xmas dishtowels that aren't too xmassy.  kids got a half price wilson cookie pan for nana bday. shaped cookies xmas ones.

• Tue, Jan 7 2014 2:16 AM In reply to

I think what im going to do is shop mostly clearance racks/ shelves, and designate a plastic tote a plastictote or a bsnkers box, thstvwill store nicely in my closet, and just pick up little odds and ends here and there, and stash them away , and them come next Christmas ill go yhrough my stash and decide who gets what. And I may pick up little things at thrift stores, dollar stores as well. My goal, to spend no more than $5 per gift. $20 or less per person, whenever possible. I want to try a set aside a couple bucks a week, to use for my kids, my nephew's, etc. I painted each of my nephew's a Christmas ornament this year, and they both loved them. Tony was able to help me add to their gift, so it was a win win all around. =) I was happy, but more importantly, the boys were too. I think my nephew's are just happy that I hsve someone in my life, who makes me happy, takes care of me, but also talks to them like people not like little kids. My ex never acknowledged them, or anoyone in my family really. Its pretty sad when you 10 and 14 year old nephew's notice a difference in my personality, that im more fun to be around, thst im smiling more, etc. I just cant wait for my kids to see it, experience it, and believe it. I was miserable with their dad, not thst I didnt love him, I did, I still do, to be honest, he is the father of my children, part of me will always love him, I just dont like him a whole lot right now. Anyway, I foresee another handmade and homemade Christmas, I made hard candy for some Christmas gifts, and everyone I gsve it to, loved it, once I grt my share of the Christmas decorations I'll go through them with tony, and well come up with ways to use them in gifts, etc. He loves woodworking, especially using reclaimed wood, and/or repurposing thing into new things. I love that about him... =)
    ~*~Angie~*~

Page 2 of 4 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us