Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Christmas 2014

Last post Mon, Jun 2 2014 3:03 PM by timzagain. 36 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (37 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 27 2013 8:32 PM

• brenl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 4 2008
    • Wayne county
    • Posts 2,426

Christmas 2014

As we are finishing Christmas for this year . It might be time for some to start buying, some are planning for, some are beginning to save for next year. It is time to think if you want to do things differently. Like buy more know while things are clearance or save and buy more later. Lets share what you are planning on doing.
  • Fri, Dec 27 2013 8:37 PM In reply to

• brenl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 4 2008
    • Wayne county
    • Posts 2,426

Re: Christmas 2014

I will start. I have bought 6 wicker baskets for $2.50 each. They were half price. I bought what the store had. Not for sure who will get them yet. I bought one cook book for my son. That is all I bought. Know I am going to start saving money to buy later. I am thinking of getting some Bath and Body works in June when they are going to have a sale. But other wise I am not planning on buying to much this early. Since I am having a issue for storage know. Iam ho[ing to start buying in November if all possible.
  • Fri, Dec 27 2013 9:08 PM In reply to

lol was thinking of starting this thread.  don't think I will buy as much ahead this year.  hard now with the kids interests plus have some things left over from last year.   did get some skittles books and gummies santa books for kids stocking next year 1.04 each  half price.

did pick up vintage style radio music box with a city scene instead  mirror lake with skaters turn. half price so got one for me and one for mil but will give it to her for her bday I think in feb.

• Fri, Dec 27 2013 9:19 PM In reply to

Apparently I'm an ornament hoarder! I buy all the kids an ornament each year and I guess last year I picked some up at after Christmas sales, because I now have a stash of about 20! I think I'm set for next year and some friends are getting ornaments as well.

I like ornaments because the person doesn't have to keep it on display all year and can tuck it deep in the tree if they don't like it.

This year, I will plan a bit better and will hopefully get some things throughout the year.

Brenl, are the baskets big enough for putting goodies in? Is that what you're thinking with the Bath and Body Works?

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • Fri, Dec 27 2013 10:39 PM In reply to

Haven't attempted sale shopping so haven't bought anything yet but will look throughout the year as is my custom. Also hoping to do some homegrown herbal teas and some homemade bath gifts. AM
  • Fri, Dec 27 2013 11:36 PM In reply to

Anna Marie:
    will look throughout the year as is my custom.

AM, That is what we do here, too.  Some years they have free shipping at Replacements between Christmas & New Year.  I need to check that out, since oldest DD enjoys getting additions to her Christmas china for her bd!

• Sat, Dec 28 2013 4:11 PM In reply to

I went into town on Friday hoping to score some good deals...came home empty handed! In the past I used to shop year round for gifts, but that strategy proved ineffective as the kids got older. I collect stocking stuffers year round, but decided to leave the major gift buying til late August. I knew that we were not going to have a big lump sum at the end of the year for gift buying, so I set aside an amount from each weekly paycheck to purchase gifts! I took advantage of online deals, and the occasional sale from local stores and was able to keep most of our gifts for friends and extended family in the $10 - $15 range, some were even less. The gifts for our own children were pricier but manageable because we staggered the purchases of the other gifts. I intend to use the same strategy for 2014!

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
  • Sat, Dec 28 2013 10:41 PM In reply to

I need to go over to KMart before the 31st.  I have $7 on my Rewards card that will expire on the 31st, so will be looking to see what is available that might be useful towards Christmas 2014.  If I don't find anything tempting, I can always stock up on TP or Biz!

• Sun, Dec 29 2013 9:27 AM In reply to

I don't really buy ahead because don't have that many gifts to buy and when I have done that, I forgot about them! So that didn't work for me, but it would be so much fun to do if I had lots to buy for!

But for Christmas 2014 I do plan on saving a bit for it.  I really wished that I had a little more cash on hand this year to let my kid go on a shopping spree.  I know! Even those words "shopping spree" scare me but really she is so good and the only time she really gets to have at it is on her Bday if she is lucky and christmas time.  I think about  five or six hundred would be good.  It sounds like a lot, but around here, that might be two pair of shoes a couple pair of jeans, and a coat! 

Anyway, my plan is to try to have a little more cash on hand for that next year.  ;-) 

Henry Ward Beecher wrote, "It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich."

• Sun, Dec 29 2013 2:34 PM In reply to

• map578
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 25 2011
    • Posts 462

I usually only buy a few things ahead of the season but with two more grandchildren to buy for next year I may start early. My problem is I never seem to stop shopping until Christmas Eve. I put off buying gc's  and smaller things to the last minute. My husband also spoiled the grandkids this year and with Amazon shopping those daily deals kept doing him in. This left me trying even up the kids gifts. After having two daughters I realize he is thrilled to have a grandson but he can not keep doing this.

Page 1 of 4 (37 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us