Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Is Antibacterial Soap Safe?

Last post 12-18-2013 12:18 PM by map578. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-17-2013 8:04 AM

Is Antibacterial Soap Safe?

Those of us who use natural products know that packing in the chemicals is unhealthy. It changes the natural balance of things. What about antibacterial soap, can it effect our ability to be naturally immune, effect our hormones, cause other issues?

The FDA is looking into his.

You can read more here and then share your opinions with us.

$ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
    Filed under:
  • 12-17-2013 10:07 AM In reply to

Re: Is Antibacterial Soap Safe?

My nephew, who is 20, has refused to use antibacterial soaps for years (not that they were ever in MY house). Last fall at college, his biology class took samples of the gunk under each student's fingernails. The students who DID NOT use antibacterial soap had lower bacteria counts. Interesting.
  • 12-17-2013 10:21 AM In reply to

I've never used it either. Just good hand washing. I also feel that some use it too much and soon the bacteria ignore it! :) Always seemed like a marketing ploy to me.
  • 12-17-2013 11:00 AM In reply to

Last year I used some instant hand sanatizer out at a mall where they have a public hand sanitizer station. It was flu season. I remember some lady flipping out telling me that it's horrible stuff and will lower immune function and make you more susceptible to getting sick. I am sure the studies above share the same concepts she brought up.
    I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • 12-18-2013 1:27 AM In reply to

• Sea
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-23-2013
    • Posts 789

Articles in the Times and Wall Stt. Journal today say many studies prove that these soaps mess with children's hormones. They also wipe out the good bacteria, creating weak immune systems.

The government is finally questioning them, but is waiting for more proof before they ban them.

I think these are harmful and just another ploy by business to convince us we're in need of something - and we're dirty, too. Should be banned, along with many of the other chemicals. Soap and water are more effective in hand-washing.

• 12-18-2013 10:18 AM In reply to

Sea:
    Should be banned, along with many of the other chemicals

I don't like to use anti-bacterial soap as a normal practice. I do believe they have some medicinal purposes. There are types of infections and illnesses where the use of them during a short period makes sense. Overuse does not make sense to me.

$ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • 12-18-2013 11:12 AM In reply to

I've used anti-bac hand soaps for years. Bath and Body Works is a guilty pleasure for me. But I also use regular hand soaps--I tend to alternate more for economic reasons than for health concerns. In other words, If I'm out of B&BW soaps I switch to plain soap for awhile, til the next  big sale. And at the holidays I usually use Method hand soaps because I love their Christmas scents. They're not anti-bac.

I don't know... I just find it hard to believe that these anti-bac hand soaps can cause so much trouble. If you use nothing BUT these kinds of soaps, maybe. Especially if you use anti-bac soaps in the bath as well. I can see where that would be way too much and could be a problem. But if you've got anti-bac soap at one sink, and plain at another, and you only use it on your hands, I can't imagine there would be an issue. Moderation, I guess, as always is the key, at least in my opinion. 

"The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • 12-18-2013 11:28 AM In reply to

For me, the problem is not so much personal as society-wide. I'm not so concerned that using antibacterial soap will make me sick directly, but when practically everyone everywhere is using it, the bacteria just develop a resistance. These soaps may wipe out "99.9 percent" of bacteria, but the 0.1 percent that survive will spread and be harder to wipe out. So the more we use this stuff (and use antibiotics as preventatatives in animals that aren't sick, and treat humans with antibiotics when they aren't appropriate, etc.), the tougher the germs become.

The direct cause-and-effect link, I think, is more important for parents of small children. That is, if kids aren't exposed to *some* germs when they're young, their immune systems won't develop normally. I believe this is known as the "hygiene hypothesis," and it seems to be gaining increasing acceptance in the mainstream medical community.

My Ecofrugal Living blog: ecofrugality.blogspot.com
  • 12-18-2013 12:18 PM In reply to

I used it when it first came on the market but my hands cracked and bled so haven't use it since. I do like pump soap on my sinks because I know some germs can live on the bar.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us