Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Diving in Head First

Last post Wed, May 28 2014 8:44 PM by Maggie Trudeau. 42 replies.
Page 4 of 5 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 3 2014 11:43 AM In reply to

Re: Diving in Head First

I need a new shed...I'm going to take a look at these!
    Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • Fri, Jan 3 2014 11:45 AM In reply to

I like to look and dream, lol, Babs

• Sat, Jan 4 2014 8:07 AM In reply to

• happy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 29 2007
    • Posts 134

Maggie have you access to used telephone poles? We built our ice fishing shack using telephone poles as the floor leaving the two end ones extra long to pull it with. Wish i had access to a camera i would send you pics. Our houseboat has the same concept except instead of poles it uses empty poly drums. Your new adventure sounds amazing i cant wait to read your progress. Congratulations!
  • Mon, Jan 6 2014 1:44 PM In reply to

happy:
    used telephone poles?

I'll look into it!  My grampa built a spare room with "liberated" phone poles (he worked at the phone company).   He took ones that were freshly coated with creosote..that room STANK in the sun.   Used phone poles should be done outgassing and I bet they don't use the same toxic chemicals anymore.   I do like recycling so this is a great idea.

The jamaica shacks are cool too!     

I've asked friends to keep eyes peeled for singlewides that are basically just weather tight shells (wiring and plumbing problems won't matter since I won't have running water or electric) but for the price of an old trailer, I could probably build a wee shanty on skids or poles.  

between that and a root cellar, I should be good for the winter...oh wait...I'll have to pee at some point...must figure out something for that.

• Tue, Jan 7 2014 11:03 AM In reply to

Congratulations, Maggie!

Google "tiny house" for many house plans and ideas.  DO NOT use creosoted anything:  a house near my former residence had a basement made of creosoted railroad ties and female residents of that house, more than one, can't recall exact number, died of ovarian cancer.  Creosote definitely is unsafe so don't burn it in the woodstove.  Mother Earth News used to have plans for  woodstoves made from old water heaters-heavier than current models-but those were only safe for outbuildings.  Don't skimp on safety where woodstoves are concerned as you can lose your life painfully.

Commercial mayonnaise jugs are about a gallon and have a handle and large hole.  They make great camper urinals. Get an oil jug from a fast food place if you want something larger, but the holes are small.  A compost toilet for the worse stuff can be constructed from a 5 gallon bucket and a second bucket for sawdust. Use RidX for compost starter and add some daily for the first week.  Info is available online for that, too. 

• Tue, Jan 7 2014 12:38 PM In reply to

Thanks for all the tips Juneflower!  I'm also looking into vermicomposting for a toilet.  I've read about it being done...there can be a smell but it composts very fast and seems to test pathogen-free.   I'll be working with my county health dept on that.

I just got an email from a friend who knows of a trailer with propane heat and stove and a fridge ...and skirting, that she thinks they will let me have for 4500$...!!!   That was fast.  I'll go look at it later this week.  With that and 2 5gallon buckets I could be on the land by spring.   I also located some climate controlled storage facilities in case i need to store my antique bed, dressers, photo negatives, and some archival materials I have for my job.  There is just so much to decide.  

The whole thing IS helping me declutter.  When think about paying to store something or whether it will fit in the small house I want...well, easier to say "nope, not worth it".   I've nearly burned up my shredder getting rid of old bills and documents that have aged out of usefulness and liability (and I'm thinking...hey, paper shreds are just like sawdust...maybe I could use these in a composting toilet...).  I doubt anyone would steal my identity if they had to sort the paper shreds out of poo and worms in a vermicomposting toilet.  Sort of like my friends who mix their documents with used cat litter.  Maybe I could market the service of secure document disposal.

• Mon, Feb 3 2014 4:39 PM In reply to

A couple of updates I'm finding exciting:

1) I had to call the county to get my parcel number.  They hadn't done the paperwork and it had been 3 weeks.  The next day I got it, with the hand drawn property map and their estimate of 39.45 acres.   That's up from the 36 +/- acres it was sold as.  We'll see what it comes out as when I get a real survey.

2)  there is a non-electric composting toilet for sale on craigslist!  it's 1650$ or so new.   They want 850$.   I'm trying to figure out what to offer.  A SunMar Excel non-electric.  It would be easier to manage than an outhouse (what with not having to run outside at night with the cold and the rain and the bears) until I get a septic or other system in.    And with the size of the land, I'd probably want some sort of facility in the workshop which will be a ways from the house, even after the cabin/house is done.   Any ideas on what a 3rd hand working composting toilet is worth?    I'm thinking 1/3 of original price which would be $550.   The current owners bought it used but I have no idea what they paid, less than 1650 anyway.

I haven't been able to get out and walk on the property for a week since it's snowed and the driveway is plowed in.  I don't have anywhere to safely park while I shovel it out.  I think I need to talk to the caretaker of the reststop next to the property and see if I couldn't leave my car ther while I shovel out.  I'll probably need to do that now and then once I move in as well. 

• Tue, May 27 2014 8:17 PM In reply to

At long last!  The camper is supposed to be moved down to the land this saturday!  It's been so wet, and then people were too busy, that it hasn't made it yet.  Only the last 2 weeks have been warm enough at night to be out there without heat anyway (the camper furnace does not work so no heat....).   I've camped out in my car a few times and really will appreciate the stove to make coffee first thing in the morning, and the port-a-john in the camper even if it's only for 'little jobs' so i don't have to wander through 2 foot tall dewy grass in the wee hours when I have to use the restroom.   Partly that was dangerous because the night sky is super dark and I was walking to the outhouse while looking straight up in the air at the stars.  Amazing.   

My friends also found me an old kitchen burner type wood and trash stove!   Excellent.  I need to fashion a new ashpan out of tin cans or something.   I've ordered a nice 2 burner propane deal so I can have an outdoor kitchen in addition to the small stove in the camper, and then use it in the summer kitchen for years to come.  

• Tue, May 27 2014 10:21 PM In reply to

Maggie you must be so excited to finally have your dream property.  Now the real work will begin of clearing a space for gardens, sheds, parking, the camper, the eventual cabin, etc.  Thank you for keeping us up-dated.

• Tue, May 27 2014 11:03 PM In reply to

Maggie T: Lordy, lordy, lordy! What a project you are embarking on! We're in the process of 'simplifying/downsizing' and think that is hard! It can't compare to the work ahead of you. I wish you great joy in living your dream.
Page 4 of 5 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us