Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Diving in Head First

Last post Wed, May 28 2014 8:44 PM by Maggie Trudeau. 42 replies.
Page 3 of 5 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Dec 16 2013 12:52 PM In reply to

Re: Diving in Head First

Thanks for all the support! The change is scary for me.  In the past I've moved due to some other cause...like changing jobs or having a landlord who was unworkable.  This will be my first really voluntary move. 

In answer to the house question:  I'm planning to pay for everything in cash as I go so first a well and maybe an old trailer with a woodstove in it and a couple of solar panels.  There is power to the land, but I'm still planning not to connect to it.  The goal is no monthly bills.  I'll owe taxes and that's about it.   Possibly I'll get a landline phone for safety.  That and a 12-guage shotgun.

We'll see how the title search goes.  I found out the current owner is a widow whose lawyer-husband lied to her about debt, his age, his health.  She found this out when he died suddenly during surgery.  So there could be a mortgage or lein that she doesn't know about.  When I bought a house in Iowa 15 years ago, a lein against the property for a criminal court fine turned up at the last minute and delayed things a bit.

Hearing people's reactions here has been interesting.   It's next to a rest stop on a highway.  One woman, a former peace corps worker who has lived in some pretty dicy situations, said "Wasn't there a murder at that rest stop"...well, yeah.  Over the years most rest stops have seen some strife.  There was a murder 3 blocks from my current home in the past year or so.  And many attempts at murder at the bar a block away.  These things happen.

Other people have said that having hills is bad.  Or that I'll never make it.  One woman insists I'm paying too much but she's never bought land or looked at land for sale and lives nearly 100 miles away so she really doesn't know.   

All that to say I really appreciate the support on this forum.  If I don't make it, oh well.  I've tried.

• Tue, Dec 17 2013 8:01 PM In reply to

You'll make it Maggie!
    www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Wed, Dec 18 2013 7:34 PM In reply to

Well, can't close on Friday as we had planned.  The current owner apparently has a HELOC on her whole property including this parcel.  Supposedly the bank that lent to her can clear it up easily and get the title free and clear, but we'll see.  I agreed to an extension until Dec 31.  Not unlike my house purchase of years ago...debt admitted/discovered at the last minute slowed the process.

• Fri, Dec 20 2013 10:27 AM In reply to

always naysayers about what you do so ignore them!  congrats on your new adventure! land is not that cheap here lol

• Mon, Dec 30 2013 2:43 PM In reply to

Appointment to close is tomorrow morning at 10am!   WOOHOOO!!!!

• Thu, Jan 2 2014 2:24 PM In reply to

That's it!   I've closed and the sale is recorded.   I got two pink flamingoes for christmas so I put them up by the pond right after closing.  They can keep an eye on the place when I'm not there.

Now to figure out something to stay in out there...I've got a camper up north but it will be snowed/iced/mudded in until at least April, possibly May.    I'll live in my rental trailer in town for the winter, but I want to be able to stay on the land when the opportunity arises.   I saw a plan for an 8x12 cabin on skids (no permits needed for mobile structures...right?) and I know a guy who makes woodstoves out of old water heater tanks...hmmmm....

• Thu, Jan 2 2014 3:06 PM In reply to

Congrats Maggie, i am really happy for you.  Keep us up to date on your new adventure.

• Thu, Jan 2 2014 6:24 PM In reply to

Hooray!   Not quite sure what a cabin on skids looks like, but it sounds interesting.  

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Fri, Jan 3 2014 11:29 AM In reply to

LWolfT:

Hooray!   Not quite sure what a cabin on skids looks like, but it sounds interesting.  

Here's the concept http://newlifewy.blogspot.com/2011/08/sheep-herders-shack-chicken-coop.html

though I hope to build a slightly nicer cabin.  The plan I saw used 3 8"x8" by 16' long pressure treated posts as the skids.   cut an angle at one end to make the front of the skids.   Then, frame an 8x12 cabin, with a 4x12 front porch, on top of them.   eye-bolts in the ends of the skids can be used to tow it around when the ground is frozen.  It would let me sample a few different locations on the land and could be a guest house, or chicken coop, or whatever, when I get a better home built.

My architect friend is visiting next week and I've got quite a bit of work lined up for him.  He's excited to play along with helping me plan.  If he does the drawings, I just need to get them stamped by an engineer to get a permit.   I suppose I should start sucking up to an engineer.

• Fri, Jan 3 2014 11:38 AM In reply to

Maggie , check out www.jamaicacottageshop.com. They have some great pictures and ideas. We got our workshop from then when they were having a half price sale. It comes all parys numbered with plans to put it together. Babs

Page 3 of 5 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us