Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Diving in Head First

Last post Wed, May 28 2014 8:44 PM by Maggie Trudeau. 42 replies.
Page 2 of 5 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Dec 9 2013 7:36 PM In reply to

Re: Diving in Head First

Thanks for the support.  I'm pins and needles!

mtviolet:  The land is on highway 95, north of Moscow if you know the panhandle area.   A cattle pond is already in.  A creek runs near the highway side.  It's a triangle with the highway on the long side.  No house, no well, no nothing.   Been mostly in hay, trees in the wet part and on the north and west edges.   There are some easements so I gave a pretty low offer to start.

I'm a little leary of being so close to the road....but I know I'll be able to get to work.  A friend with land 10 miles off pavement said the longest part of her 50 mile commute is that last 10 miles, takes longer than the other 40 miles if it's wet or snowy or ice (6+ months of the year). 

I'm supposed to get a counter offer today, but no word yet and it's 4:30 so maybe I'll hear tomorrow.  

• Mon, Dec 9 2013 11:54 PM In reply to

Sounds like you are going to be able to do what you want!  I envision a chicken house, a small barn for livestock and had, a huge garden.  Good for you!  let us know how things go.

• Tue, Dec 10 2013 3:43 PM In reply to

mtv:  that's about right.  I'm skipping livestock for now and going with bees instead.  Less care and a family connection to bees, my great grandpa kept many bees and sold honey.

I just got a counter offer...my offer was quite low, and the counter is less than my realtor thought the seller would insist on.  Now I'm waiting for my realtor to call me back with advice on whether I counter again or go get a check cut.  I would like it to come down a few thousand more, but the current price isn't outrageous, about  1750$/acre for the whole plot, about 2600/usable-acre.     Land here goes for 2-3000 an acre for mediocre so...we're in the ball park.  I'd like it to be closer to 2200 or 2300  per usable acre.  Be usable I mean the stuff not covered by right of way easements, other easements, and not a swamp or slope over 20%.

• Wed, Dec 11 2013 8:54 PM In reply to

So, the seller's FINAL price...

2500/acre for usable acres (1667/acre for the whole place).

Now I have to decide how much I want it.   My realtor said she wouldn't think it was great if I was looking at it as an investment to resell at a profit in a couple of years, but if I'm building a place on it, I change the whole thing and the value anyway and it's not that bad.   (of course she doesn't get paid if I don't buy).

So, there we are.  I'm going out to the land tomorrow and walking around a bit.  I need to respond by noon on Friday.  In reality I'm in meetings from 8:30am on so I need to respond thursday night or first thing friday.   (I do like that the response deadline is noon on Friday the 13th....funny).

I think part of my issue is I've been saving and saving and saving for land...that I've lost sight of the fact that buying land was the goal...and that goal led to the next one of living on it.  This would be a big change.

• Thu, Dec 12 2013 6:23 PM In reply to

Wow ... Maggie!  Good for you!  Let us know what you decide!   (and being able to get to the road isn't a bad thing ;)

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Fri, Dec 13 2013 8:23 PM In reply to

LWolfT:
    Let us know what you decide!  

After a tumultuous 36 hours of going back and forth...I agreed to the price and sent in my earnest money with the signed acceptance.  now we await the title search and whatnot. If all goes well I close and take possession on the 20th of this month.   

I did see that a piece of land and a little house I'd dreamed about for years JUST went on the market...so i rushed out to take a look at it.  it was much more $$ and turned out to have expensive problems that would have had to be fixed (black mold, roof leaks...someone butchered a deer in one of the bedrooms...an ancient underground fuel tank, quonset hut missing a wall and about to fall down...the list went on).   That was actually good.  It made me realize that the dream was not real and the bigger less expensive piece of land is real and workable.   I'll get to create my own problems rather than take on someone elses.  It's a choice.

A friend emailed me with a great piece of advice;  The decision is made.  Only look forward.  no sense looking back or second guessing.

• Sat, Dec 14 2013 1:03 AM In reply to

Closing on the 20th? That is really fast! Good for you Maggie, what a wonderful start to a new year you are going to have.  Hope you keep us up to date on your new adventure. I am really excited for you!

• Sat, Dec 14 2013 8:53 AM In reply to

Congratulations Maggie.  Will you be building a house on the land or what?

retired 

• Sat, Dec 14 2013 5:12 PM In reply to

Congratulations!  A new adventure for the New Year!

And your friend's advice is right on the money. Too many folks ruin what they have because they keep dwelling on the "what ifs" ....  

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Mon, Dec 16 2013 9:46 AM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

Congratulations! I'm excited to hear more about this journey!

Page 2 of 5 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us