Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

December 2013 Grocery Budgeting, Shopping & Menu Planning

Last post 12-27-2013 5:02 PM by MRSOBRIEN. 59 replies.
Page 1 of 6 (60 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-01-2013 5:22 PM

December 2013 Grocery Budgeting, Shopping & Menu Planning

December is here and so is our last post like this of the year before our new year comes. Time flies by fast and so can that cash during this holiday month so let's start some grocery budgeting, sales & shopping and menu plan postings for our last month of this year : ) Have a blessed holiday season everyone.
    I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • 12-01-2013 6:07 PM In reply to

Re: December 2013 Grocery Budgeting, Shopping & Menu Planning

My grocery budget will be the same as past months. I have pretty much given up on having a menu set up since DD became pregnant, DH travels so much and DS's schedule at work changes all the time. I never know who will be here to eat. I am pretty stocked up where meat is concerned except tri-tip. I am hoping to find a sale before Christmas. I am stocked up on baking supplies but may need to buy a new bread machine because mine isn't working right now. I will try it one more time to see what happens.
    Riley
  • 12-01-2013 6:07 PM In reply to

I am watching my spending in general this month because November was a month of SPENDING. I did some re stocking and I got my Christmas shopping done early + took advantage of some sales Now I must watch my spending in December. I also plan to transfer some of my monthly income check into my savings account to reimburse myself for some holiday gifts I bought in November. I went a tad bit overboard on buying my Mom's Christmas gifts and now must penny pinch and be more resourceful this new month ahead. I will buy fresh foods as needed and work on using home shop supplies. Christmas dinner I am not sure of yet but it's not going to be as extravagant as it's been before... just something nice to be enjoyed and within budget! I also do Italian on Christmas though and would like to keep the tradition just not a crazy-course feast like the previous years! I'm sure I will come up with something creative but if not I have the perfect team of professional chefs here to ask! (Points at all of you). Have a blessed & budgeted new month ahead friends.
    I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • 12-01-2013 8:24 PM In reply to

No special plans except to purchase a ham for Christmas and to keep a running tab of what I should restock when I get to go again to an Aldi. Otherwise, will be watching for specials. This week I'll get a stock of sweet potatoes as they are $.49 per pound at the local grocery. AM
  • 12-01-2013 8:44 PM In reply to

I'm very well stocked on basics, plus I've got a turkey and a ham in the freezer for the Christmas season. I still need to check my baking supplies; I was going to make a commissary run this week to fill in any holes I have left, but that will have to wait until after my grandmother's funeral and I return from Pennsylvania with Mom next week. Otherwise, grocery spending will be limited mostly to fresh produce and other perishables. I don't usually menu-plan much, I tend to wing it mostly, but I do need to sit down and think about what I want to cook during the holidays, so I can be sure I'm not missing some vital ingredient here and there (like the ground cloves I discovered I was out of last week while in the midst of baking my pumpkin pies! Surprise )
    "The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • 12-01-2013 9:18 PM In reply to

I will be sending off an order for my baking supplies tomorrow Katie had to find one cookie recipe ... and then I have to figure out the Christmas menu .. DH and three of the boys now take blood pressure meds ..  so the Christmas Ham out of the question I suggested a Christmas chicken Katie EM and Shannon said a chicken Katie said a Christmas hen Shannon said yeah a Hen we could I mean you know stuffing and the other she blushed she said I think we if roasted say 4 hens she said thank you for not laughing at me Mama I said Shannon you forget I knew you as a small child you were alway so excited she laughed she siad I love you I hugged her and said and I love you ... she took my newest Grandson and said little man you hungry I'll bety you can get a nappy with your great great Uncle Sam he said plenty of room glad to have him my Uncle love to have the babies sleep with him he got little Sammy and he be with little Douglas and the twins .

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

• 12-02-2013 12:40 AM In reply to

I have a lot of entertaining this month, with a party for Christmas, a baby shower, and a party for theatre kids.  I am trying to save by using up my stock.  I was doing good until this past 5 days, I have been to the grocery store every day.  I am ready for a low cost week for food. I have potatoes, canned veggies, and tons of frozen rolls.  I am planning on potato corn chowder and lentil soup with rolls. and maybe beans and rice.  I am working two days and have a concert for my 3rd and 1st graders one day, I can prep some in the morning. We had lots of sweets this weekend also, time for some healthy slow food. 

My menu for the baby shower, met with the parents today, will be vegetarian sloppy joes, a fruit tray, a veggie tray, chips, vanilla and chocolate cupcakes with blue frosting.  It will be mixed gender, quite a few young men, and they are about 22 years old, seniors in college, and the dad's family members. Mom's side will have another shower. She has quite a few clothes, and the crib, and will be getting the stroller/carseat from her parents, so I am thinking of a theme of diapers, toys, and favorite childhood books. Now I need to try to find a few games.

• 12-02-2013 2:53 AM In reply to

Tracy, sounds like some fun entertaining for you this month! After I wrote this post and checked in I did some fridge inventory to see what fresh produce I have to use up before I go buy a bunch more. I noticed 1. I have a small amounts of various produce and 2. I have not been menu planning which caused me to realize that menu planning a bit will help me use up the produce productively without waste or moments where I'm not motivated to try to come up with ideas at the last minute... So I am planning a few nice soups this week to help use up "some of this and some of that" with some of my fresh produce that will work well in soups. I can use up some of my homemade broth and then add in whatever pantry items I want like whole grains, beans or legumes from my pantry supply. I can make them hearty so they can be enjoyed as a meal entree served with other veggies like salad and steamed vegetable sides. I also want to have some fun with the potatoes and winter squash I have here. I really enjoy the just simply steamed so that works great on those "I don't want to cook much" days. I think I can watch my budget better this month if I plan better and am resourceful with my fresh foods and some frugal pantry fillers :)
  • 12-02-2013 1:40 PM In reply to

Working on our December menu. I've got this week's plan done, but I need to plan for another 10 days of meals. We only have 2 weeks until we leave to visit DH's relatives for Christmas and then we're back a handful of days before the end of the New Year, so we don't need to plan that many meals. However, we just spent a boat load of money last night at the store because we were apparently a little too good at eating out of our pantry in November! We were just about out of all our frozen veggies and we used up all of our rice, olive oil, and fresh produce, including the staples like carrots and onions, so that all needed replacing. I also needed to stock up on a lot more baking products because I decided to give out boxes of cookies to a bunch of folks instead of buying something. That required more butter, chocolate chips, flour, sugar, etc. We have plenty of meat in the freezer, except for beef, so I bought a few pounds of ground beef and a few round steaks. Add to that a bottle of rum for holiday baking, some hard apple cider per DH's request, and some wine to keep on hand for the holidays and it was a spendy trip! Luckily we were under budget for groceries in November and we got pretty decent deals on everything we purchased, so I guess I can't complain too much. I think aside from fresh fruit and veg and some milk, we should be just fine for the remainder of the month. The only other big purchase I'm thinking I'll need is something for our Christmas potluck dinner for Bible study. I'm doing the entree and I usually do something festive so I'll have to scope out the options. I was told that ham wasn't a favorite among the crowd, so I have to do something else. Hmmm.
  • 12-02-2013 1:47 PM In reply to

This week's menu plan is turkey pot pie (last night), chicken soft tacos, swordfish steaks, pulled pork sandwiches, and baked chicken drumsticks. We'll have tortillas, brown rice, pierogies, or baked potatoes for starches as needed. Veggies will be green beans or a frozen mixed veggie medley we're working through. We're doing Chinese takeout for Bible study this week and we'll eat leftovers the rest of the time.
Page 1 of 6 (60 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us