Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

2014 garden

Last post 04-23-2014 9:53 PM by Anna Marie. 84 replies.
Page 1 of 9 (85 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-21-2013 10:27 PM

2014 garden

Have you plans? Ideas? Seeds? Will you wait until the new year and peruse seed catalogs to begin? AM
  • 11-21-2013 10:31 PM In reply to

Re: 2014 garden

My veggie garden will be in what is now the chicken yard. There will be raised beds as our soil doesn't percolate well. Already have a lot of fresh seed picked up at Baker Creek as well as some saved. Mean to lay out beds with plans for continual rotation. AM
  • 11-22-2013 12:28 AM In reply to

We will add a couple of new areas along the perimeter, where I have been digging in kitchen scraps this year to prepare the soil.  Dug in leaves & top dressed with coffee grounds & dried grass clippings.  Purchased a few more vegetable supports on clearance.

Saved some seed from the heirloom pole beans & peas that we grew, because they grew well.  Saved butternut squash & pumpkin seeds, because they do well in my space. Grew some of my own onion sets & harvested some onion seed as well, altho I haven't separated it from the chaff yet. Growing some winter lettuce under cloches.

I may order another packet of the Marvel of 4 seasons lettuce, but I think I have enough. May pick up a few more packs of carrots & parsnips, too.

• 11-23-2013 9:49 AM In reply to

I've already started to plan my garden!

Along with tomatoes, green peppers and herbs, I'm going to plant green beans. I love them and don't know why I haven't planted them. I will probably freeze them, if I get a big enough crop.

Most of my stuff will be from plants, except the green beans. I just don't have any luck transplanting seeds. They germinate fine, harden fine, but just don't survive in my garden.

I had really good luck with my patio tomatoes this year, and may put a few more out in 2014. I especially like the herbs close by, so a deck planter might hold a few herbs as well.

Now to put pen to paper and get a plan!

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • 11-23-2013 10:51 AM In reply to

DH go getting evrey thing ready for winter we openeded those gates chickens and cows and other are watlkng about and eatings things chicken and such love lots of bugs and such he put it sleep and just before he plans the garden he lets them eat the hay  then we go again he alrady got his seeds and he planting he wants to bulid up a second compost we have one at Lake house we already have a large stock of worrms   and he has been over in the woood  he problaby going to move the bees this week . 

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

• 12-07-2013 10:55 PM In reply to

As usual, I'm waiting for January or February untill I plan out my garden.  I'll be planting the same crops as last year, and I'll be planting in the same area. I'm going to re-arange the locations of some of the plants. But nothing  earth shattering. For now the garden is covered up with leaves. All bedded down for the winter. I've got no plans for any experiments next season. I may try onions and potatoes again, and hope for better yeilds. I also plan to see how sports netting works for a trellis.

• 01-08-2014 1:01 AM In reply to

Due to some of my physical limitations, I'll most likely, do a 4x6foot raised bed using cinder blocks, or whatever tony and I cwn find tgsts suitable. I csnt have anything permanent since im renting, but landlord, is pkay with anything I want to do as long as it doesnt damage the property of interfere with lawncare, etc. I have 3 containers now, nothing too huge, but I could stick a tomato and bell pepper plant in each of tgem with no problems. If tony and I csn manage to put together a smsll raised bed, id like to plant some leaf lettuces, green onions, and perhaps 2 or3 rows of bush beans. I figure if I had at least 4-6 tomatoes planted, I could get enough to csn some stewed tomatoes, and/or juice; bell peppers will probably be frozen, onions will be used and eaten fresh. I may let them grow large qnd then save a few for fal and winter storage, or chop and freeze them as well. Tony loves brussel sprouts, so I may try to grow some for him. I also hope to make the most of any freebies from friends gsrdens I msy get, go to local or roadside farm markets, or vegetable/fruit stands, id like to get some fresh plums, berries, peaches, apples, not a lot, just enough to maybe put up in a freezer if i get one, to use to make jams, jellies, fruit butters later. My mom mentioned how she missed getting my homemade black raspberry jam for Christmas, I also could use it for Christmas gifts, for hard to buy for people. =)
    ~*~Angie~*~

• 01-08-2014 12:34 PM In reply to

I will be planting tomatoes, basil, serrano chili peppers, chives, parsley, garlic, onion and dill in my new raised bed that my DH built.
    Riley
  • 01-08-2014 2:25 PM In reply to

Zohner is being kind enough to send me a few of her tomato seeds.  DH and I will germinate them indoors and transplant later.  I am hoping to get at least 3 plants to harvest from this year.

Not very ambitious I know, but a start for us.

retired 

• 01-09-2014 3:02 PM In reply to

We will plant tomatoes, peppers, squash, eggplant, and beans.

I planted pole beans last year on a trellises for a privacy fence. I put in morning glories on one side and the beans on the other. I figured the strongest would survive and the beans won. I didn't really care for the beams and I would prefer bush beans but it worked out really well for the privacy issue so we will plant them again.

I also have some herbs along a fence and in a large planter by my kitchen door as well.

Page 1 of 9 (85 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us