Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Making Pie From Scratch

Last post Wed, Nov 20 2013 1:30 PM by map578. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 15 2013 7:43 AM

Making Pie From Scratch

Making a homemade pie is not as hard as it may seem but it does take a little more work than putting a frozen one in the oven. There is nothing like a homemade pie filling a room with the delicious smells of baking except perhaps the smell of homemade bread baking and homemade soup.

Check out these tips on pie making:

Pie crust

How to roll and crimp pie dough

Pie crust by HillbillyHousewife

$ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • Fri, Nov 15 2013 9:26 AM In reply to

Re: Making Pie From Scratch

I make all out pies from scratch .... the hardest one I make is the pecan pie because everyone  samples the nuts

the  hillbilly housewife  article is interresting .

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

• Fri, Nov 15 2013 7:19 PM In reply to

I'm rather intimidated by making pie crust ... but I'll happily make the filling!

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Fri, Nov 15 2013 9:09 PM In reply to

Pie crusts intimidate me too. One day I'll get brave. Jill
  • Sat, Nov 16 2013 7:29 PM In reply to

• Peanut
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 17 2011
    • Suburbs of Boston, MA
    • Posts 141

My go-to pie crust is so light & flaky...but EASY! The secret is cold vodka - no taste, and the alcohol evaporates to leave behind super flaky crust. The America's Test Kitchen gang tried all kinds of crust tricks, but settled on this one as the best:

Cook's Illustrated Foolproof Pie Crust

You can get little pint bottles of vodka for about $6 in Boston these days...makes a lot of crusts!  :D

Babbling regularly at PeanutsAlmanac.Blogspot.com
  • Tue, Nov 19 2013 8:40 AM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

Anyone have experience with making crusts with olive or canola oil instead of butter or lard?

My husband is under doctor's orders to avoid saturated fat. I've made a crust with olive oil, skim milk, and flour and it's absolutely fantastic for a chicken pot pie -- but it just didn't work when I made an apple pie.  I'm thinking I just might go with a crustless pumpkin pie, if I can't get a decent crust worked out. 

• Tue, Nov 19 2013 12:15 PM In reply to

MamaJ, have you tried using organic palm shortening? It has a mix of saturated and unsaturated fatty acids, so its supposed to healthier for you. I've used the Spectrum brand with great success for anything that uses butter or shortening in baking. Also, for those intimidated by pie crust, I found a recipe that doesn't freak me out. I've made the most beautiful lattice pie crust using this recipe, which really is easy and doable. http://chezpim.com/bake/how-to-make-the-perfect-pie-dough
  • Tue, Nov 19 2013 2:17 PM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

Thank you, Mrs. OBrien, I'll look into that!

• Wed, Nov 20 2013 1:30 PM In reply to

• map578
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 25 2011
    • Posts 462

LWolfT:

I'm rather intimidated by making pie crust ... but I'll happily make the filling!

I use my food processor to make pie crust and I love it. Foolproof every time.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us