Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Vegetarian or Vegan Thanksgiving

Last post 11-28-2013 12:10 AM by spiderdust. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-14-2013 1:07 AM

The Vegetarian or Vegan Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving doesn't mean turkey for everyone. I wanted to open a post here for people to leave ideas for others on how to pull off some great vegetarian or vegan (remember with vegan NO animal products what so ever and for some no bee products either) Thanksgiving entrees in place of the classic bird. In the past I have done some really tasty vegan stuffed butternut and acorn squashes with quinoa, dried fruits and raw nuts (I think the last time I made that I did a mix of cranberries, currants or raisins and pecans). This makes a beautiful entree and everyone got their own half. I've found working with seasonal foods keeps the Thanksgiving theme flowing and fresh. Side dishes are easier to put together but entrees may be a bit more challenging for some so go ahead and share your ideas, recipes and experiences.
    I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • 11-14-2013 8:57 AM In reply to

Re: The Vegetarian or Vegan Thanksgiving

I mentioned a nice whole grain/healthy harvest stuffed squash idea above... other ideas: personal pot pies with seasonal harvest veggies and homemade whole grain dough (sorry folks but I do not like non whole grain foods so my suggestions are going to be kept healthy with whole grains but not mandatory for you if you want different); seasonal vegetable/lentil loaf with homemade mushroom gravy; seasonal vegetable layered dish like lasagna but without the noodles and a nice butternut squash or pumpkin cream sauce; a nice big pumpkin/seasonal veg succatash served in sugar pie pumpkin "bowls"; the clean and simple smorgasboard - a variety of clean and simple sides that are healthy and not heavy and enough to build a plate with - roasted chunks of squash/pumpkin; honey glazed carrots, roasted yams, mashed parsnips, whole grain pilaf with dried fruit/nuts or seeds, Fall vegetable soup, homemade whole grain rolls and fresh cranberry sauce, baked cinnamon apples, green bean/mushroom/shallot sautee, roasted ears of corn - all these can be made very clean and simple/non complicated with minimal ingredients needed to make - let the whole food itself shine as the star. A nice balance of sides makes the perfect table for this!
    I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • 11-16-2013 8:03 PM In reply to

I think this is a great idea! Thank you so much for starting this BargainBistro. I am a vegetarian, and I am the ONLY one in my family who is. My Grandmother has Thanksgiving at her house every year for our whole family, and my In-laws moved close to us so this year is the first year we will be spending Thanksgiving with them as well, which I am so excited about. Basically I just eat whatever does not have meat in it, so green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, rolls, pie :) and whatever else there may be. Some of my family does not really understand what being vegetarian means they think it is fine to use things like chicken broth and cream of chicken soup and say it is vegetarian because it is not actual meat like turkey or chicken. So I have to be very careful about what I eat that appears to be vegetarian. I love all of your ideas, especially the stuffed squash, that sounds delicious! I might try and make that this year, I'm sure even my non-vegetarian family would like it and I would be sure to have something to eat that I know has no kind of hidden animal products in it.
  • 11-16-2013 8:40 PM In reply to

Kissy, seems to me that you might try explaining that you are vegan and choose to consume NO animal product, not even chicken broth. May people believe that they must use a bit of meat flavoring for a dish to taste good. AM
  • 11-17-2013 12:33 AM In reply to

Kissy, you are so welcome! AM, I believe she wrote she is vegetarian not vegan, big difference in diet and food morals there. Unless I missed something in her post... vegan would not just cut out meat and meat products but also dairy/eggs... honey... anything from any animal, fish, insect, etc.
  • 11-17-2013 1:55 AM In reply to

I think bringing something is a great idea. We are not vegetarian but have similar problems with family members forgetting that DH can't eat cheese. His family always forgets and puts cheese on everything so he found himself eating a plate of meat, rolls, and 3-bean salad! After witnessing this our first year of marriage, I just started making 1-2 things for everyone that were safe for him to eat. A big wild rice or quinoa salad that can be served at room temperature would probably be hearty enough to be a main for you but nice for everyone else if you added autumnal things like dried fruit, nuts, chickpeas, some roasted squash or apples and toss with a vinaigrette. Some cheese like feta might be nice too. Or a creamy mushroom rice casserole, if you want something warm.
  • 11-17-2013 2:42 AM In reply to

another time in my life I was vegetarian  for about 9 years after 3 months in the hospital I had to learn to eat meat again  not easy but I manage have two dil and two of my dd dont do alot of meat  I try I really try .

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

• 11-17-2013 9:24 AM In reply to

Gayla, you always do a great job at cooking for everyone over there and different diets. I am sure getting back on meat was hard, it can really cause havoc to the body and has to be done slowly if the body is not use to trying to digest it. Meat is not easy to digest in general so something like that has to be done gradual.
  • 11-17-2013 7:50 PM In reply to

Kissy, Seems BB took offense at my response to you. I hope you did not. There was a period of several years when I was necessarily vegetarian, could not digest meat. I was blessed that I could tolerate things like meat broths, but I never went hungry, even when there was no option really good for me. One habit I have cultivated, because I can get unreasonably hungry on short notice, is carrying a snack-size bag holding an ounce of almonds or walnuts. That bit of protein has gotten me out of several crunches. AM
  • 11-18-2013 4:29 AM In reply to

AM, I didn't take any offense nor would there be reason to. I was just stating a difference between vegetarian and vegan diets. Some folks come here and do not know the difference or what actual veganism is. I was under the impression she is vegetarian not vegan and you wrote she was vegan so maybe one of us is off but regardless it is nice of us to help here for vegetarians and vegans! And yes, your small snack that is rich in macronutrients (proteins, healthy fats or complex carbs) will help dips in glucose levels and are a great pick me up boost! 1/4 cup of raw almonds or walnuts is a great boost.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us