Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Can I freeze canned hominy?

Last post Thu, Nov 7 2013 7:21 AM by bug. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 6 2013 10:53 AM

Can I freeze canned hominy?

Can I freeze canned hominy? I can get HUGE cans of it at this one store for the price I'd pay for one small can at most other stores. I do not use hominy a lot but every so often we like it in a Mexican soup or chili. I can not use an entire can at once. I know you need to store the rest in the fridge after you open the can but I can't use that large a can up that fast and do not want to waste. Can I open a can and freeze what I can't use once opened? I am restocking my pantry and need to know if it's a good idea to buy some of the large cans or not.
    I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • Wed, Nov 6 2013 12:28 PM In reply to

Re: Can I freeze canned hominy?

BB, I think that it would freeze fine. It is just corn and corn freezes. Babs

• Wed, Nov 6 2013 5:51 PM In reply to

I would think that, if anything, it might thaw with a bit softer texture. I would chance it. AM
  • Wed, Nov 6 2013 8:56 PM In reply to

Drain, rinse, freeze on a cookie pan, then when frozen put in a bag and get as much air out as possible, will be like store bought frozen veggies, you can take out what you want or need.  Or you can just rinse, drain and put in a bag, but it will freeze as a big clump.

• Thu, Nov 7 2013 7:21 AM In reply to

• bug
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 8 2012
    • Posts 47

I freeze all kinds of leftover canned goods. Hominy should be just fine. I go by the idea that if I freeze it and it doesn't come out too well, it would have been long gone in the trash if I hadn't froze it in the first place. Actually probably about 99% of what I freeze is just fine!
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us