Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

November Grocery Shopping and Menu Planning

Last post 11-25-2013 1:44 AM by MRSOBRIEN. 26 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (27 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-04-2013 9:33 AM

November Grocery Shopping and Menu Planning

It's another month and a new budget and list! Get to work on planning out your menus and keeping all the baking, cooking and holidays within your budget.

Share your menu plans and budgets with us.

$ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • 11-04-2013 9:37 AM In reply to

Re: November Grocery Shopping and Menu Planning

I began the month with an $85 expense at a small near by grocery.

My menu planning for the month begins with..

Frozen ravioli
    Red beans and rice
    Hot dogs
    Vegetable soup
    Steak
    Chicken stir-fry

$ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • 11-04-2013 10:06 AM In reply to

DH and I went to Kroger yesterday evening and spent $55. We got:

A 15 pound turkey @ 79 cents a pound

3 cans Hunts diced tomatoes--49 cents each

2 boxes reduced fat wheat thins--$1.79

2 pounds Land o Lakes butter--$1.99 each

2 Turkey Hill ice cream--$1.79 each because I had two $1.00 coupons

1 bag Doritos--$1.99

1 and a half dozen Kroger brand large eggs--$2.49 (the only item that cost more than it does at commissary)

1 pkg iced cinnamon rolls--$1.99 (DH's weakness & they were on the reduced rack)

1 Loreal eye cream--$10.39 (on sale and I had a coupon)

2 Kroger brand dental floss--89 cents

2 pkg of Kroger chicken breast--$1.99lb

All of these items were in yesterday's ad. The first six were part of a 'buy 10 and get $5 off' deal. The prices were at least as cheap as commissary, and a little cheaper in some cases (butter was $2.27 at commissary last week, and I thought THAT was pretty good!). According to our receipt, we saved over $33 in sales, discounts (DD's employee discount on all the Kroger items and the ice cream), and coupons. The turkey is for Christmas, and the butter is in the freezer for Christmas baking. The turkey price is good through Thanksgiving, so I'm thinking about getting another one in a week or two, if I don't see a better price elsewhere. I might go back later this week and get more diced tomatoes and butter, and one or two other items that are part of the 10 for $5 off deal but that we didn't bother with last night. The stockpile is growing slowly but surely.

"The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • 11-04-2013 5:16 PM In reply to

This week we are having carnitas tacos, Thai basil beef, red lentil soup, and Italian beef sandwiches, plus leftovers for lunch. I may need to figure out an extra dinner entree, depending on how we're doing with leftovers. For dessert, I whipped up 2 sweet potato pies. DH will have steel cut oatmeal for breakfast and I will have cheese sandwiches on whole grain bread. We did a huge Costco stock up on Saturday and bought some fresh stuff from Trader Joe's (probably not more than $35 at TJs). I think we'll need some fruit at some point but I wanted to try and eat up what we had first.
  • 11-05-2013 1:13 PM In reply to

My menu plans change around some depending on situations or mood, but I try to have a basic idea of what I will be fixing.

Supper tonight will be chili, tomorrow beef stew,  sometime this week, broccoli cheese soup, pork chops with either baked potatoes or mashed potatoes, potato soup or clam chowder, meatloaf or spaghetti.

• 11-06-2013 7:42 PM In reply to

I have not been weekly menu planning like I use to. Dinners have just been so simple here with fresh produce for salads and steamed vegetable dishes, chicken or fish as needed and the occasional whole grain dishes I make... followed by fresh fruits for dessert. Honestly, nothing super fancy like I use to. I plan the crock pot soups and then throw together some vegetable sides a majority of the time now. We like eating clean vegetable dishes so it works out well. I just did a major restock though on dry beans/legumes and healthy grains. I am set there. I only have a bit more of other items to restock but right now it's the last on my agenda. I've spent a lot this month and it's not even over a week in November. Yikes. At this point I start menu planning around home goods and continuing to restock fresh produce... and dairy as needed. I have a lot of vegetarian crock pot entrees to start making and soups as well.
    I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • 11-06-2013 9:27 PM In reply to

We are using up the meats that are in the freezer to make room for the holiday baking and the turkey. I have pork roast, pork chops, chicken, shrimp, salmon, tilapia, ground beef and a ham to base meals around. I am stocked up on rice, quinoa, pasta and beans. I only spent around $120 for the 2week period.
    Riley
  • 11-07-2013 12:28 AM In reply to

Once we finish up these last few apples I think we are going to transition to citrus, as the mandarins are coming in. I can get a big box for $6 this week so I will grab a case. Nice European butter is one sale at a rock bottom price so I will grab a few of those for spreading on bread and use the regular butter for baking. High quality Italian pasta is on sale so I may grab a few fun shapes to have on hand like bucatini or campanelle. I need a jar of pepperoncini for my crockpot Italian beef sandwiches for Bible Study. Put in my Penzey's spice order so that should be coming any day now. Ordered cinnamon, cumin, coriander, lemon grass, and some other things. Got free shipping and a free jar of taco seasoning so that's nice! Probably need to find a good deal on coconut milk to stash in the pantry.
  • 11-07-2013 8:27 AM In reply to

Mrs O Brien, I love campanelle shapes! What brand is the high quality pasta you speak of on sale? where at - whole foods market?
    I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • 11-07-2013 10:32 AM In reply to

I will have to grab a 1/2 gallon of milk for the weekend for work and a few small items total will be under $10 until Next week .. Using what is in the house/freezers is our plan..

Today I have black beans in the crockpot cooking to sandwich baggie & freeze to use in recipes later.. Last night made a crockpot apple cake very yummy.

Dinner today will be southwestern wontons & mexican rice

Thinking of making  chicken and veggie potpies for dinner on friday this is a long process (chopping and whipping up the creamy base using lacto milk) so friday is good for this plus we have all the ingredients..

Will cook up 2 chicken burgers for my lunch Sat & Sunday along w/ a very large salad..

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/

Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 3
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

Page 1 of 3 (27 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us