Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

The Way Grandma Did

Last post Tue, Nov 5 2013 7:19 PM by Gayla57. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 30 2013 2:06 PM

The Way Grandma Did

I saw this article on the Dollar Stretcher and wanted to share..

Drying herbs and fruit the way Grandma did

Do you ever find yourself doing self-sufficient things because it was the way your grandparents or parents did them? Do you find comfort in these things besides savings?

$ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • Wed, Oct 30 2013 5:44 PM In reply to

Re: The Way Grandma Did

Pat's article reminds me that my lil Mama taught me that her mother had always used the leaves of celery as seasoning after drying them in the oven which had been turned off. Always makes me wish "they" wouldn't chop the tops off celery for shipping. AM
  • Thu, Oct 31 2013 1:18 PM In reply to

In trying to be thriftier this fall, I tied my mint stalks up in bundles and hung them from my porch rafters.  This worked wll until a sudden windstorm blew them all over....oh well.  Back to the dehydrator next year.

• Fri, Nov 1 2013 1:03 AM In reply to

I dried dill this summer in bundles hung from various spots in the garage - to keep them out of the dust & the rain. It worked quite well most of the time. They were knocked down a few times ( so that bundle was "lost"), but overall, it was cheapers & easier, but not faster, than using the dehydrator.  

• Mon, Nov 4 2013 2:05 AM In reply to

• vivid
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 2 2013
    • Posts 594

Yes, sometimes i don't realize that my parents did them, it's just the conditioned reflex.
  • Tue, Nov 5 2013 5:33 PM In reply to

• map578
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 25 2011
    • Posts 462

No. My mother wasn't all that frugal and I don't remember my grandparents.

• Tue, Nov 5 2013 7:19 PM In reply to

I know for a fact Daddy Mama did that woman and the kitchen were enemies when she passed away Daddy gave me her kitchen items never used and all the canned food we sent her were dated and Daddy said told you so ...Mother Mama was a normal person she could cook and she passed when I was still young  I was blessed with nanny she was a cooking genuis ..

I dry my fruit and vegetables with the dehydator like everyone else  Pat  ideas were great I did dry some tomatoes on a homemade dehydator they did ok  but in the time I dryed outside and in the house were HUGH 

We plant an herb gardening and I dry all my herbs some by just hang in the root cellar other take hours  in the dehydator .

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us