Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Beginning Thanksgiving Planning

Last post Wed, Nov 6 2013 9:18 AM by OhioDonna. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 30 2013 8:51 AM

Beginning Thanksgiving Planning

Begin your holidays with less stress by planning ahead for the big events.

Are you hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year? If you are, it's time to get the house ready and begin planning your menu. We can help!

Who will be on your guest list, family, friends? Before you can decide how much food to make, you need to know how many you will be feeding.

$ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • Wed, Oct 30 2013 10:27 AM In reply to

Re: Beginning Thanksgiving Planning

As far as I know right now, I'm not hosting Thanksgiving this year (woo hoo!). My SIL said at the last get-together I hosted that she'd do Thanksgiving. Of course, she hasn't said a word about it since, so I guess I'll have to contact her soon and find out if she's still doing it. If so, I'll volunteer to bring the sweet potatoes and have DH make the pancit (his mom used to always make it but she can't do it anymore). And I'll bake a pumpkin pie as well.

If for some reason she isn't doing it...well, I've done it enough over the years that it's almost automatic now. Enough food for about 15-20 people. Start cleaning the house a week ahead of time (although I'm doing fall housecleaning now, so cleaning before the big day won't be too stressful). Lots of food prep starting two days before. Corral my family into the kitchen to help as much as possible on the day itself.

And afterwards, hire 'Miss Whirlpool' and DH to do the dishes while I collapse. Stick out tongue

"The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Wed, Oct 30 2013 12:32 PM In reply to

We are planning on about 12-15 people some family,some friends we are planning on us ladies doing the turkey and we are also planning on one or 2 side dishes each. I will be doing a brocoli cheese and rice casserole, and maybe some carrot cake pops. This year my niece and I are going to see how many dishes we can make from leftovers. I have found quite a few recipes on the about.com website that sound tasty one is for ham and cheese manicotti which we will sub turkey if anyone is interested it is listed under Thanksgiving leftovers and something for everyone's taste.
  • Wed, Oct 30 2013 12:54 PM In reply to

I loved making the dinner, but a few years ago we were traveling a lot, and it got to be too much.  DS#1 gladly took over.  He loves hosting the dinner and doing a lot of the cooking.  He usually lets me know what to bring.  However at some point I will make a dinner of my own with the basics - turkey, stuffing, potatoes, green beans, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pies.   My absolute favorite meal of the year. 

Ellen B.
  • Fri, Nov 1 2013 8:26 AM In reply to

We normally do Thanksgiving at DS#1 home. They may be away to DIL family. Her sister is expecting before then. DIL wants to visit and see the new baby.  So I think that we will end up eating here. So far only 9 definite out of 20 family members. No real planning yet. I am sure that we will have turkey, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, rolls. Maybe green bean casserole. Babs

• Fri, Nov 1 2013 10:36 AM In reply to

I posted our annual all things thanksgiving food/cooking/etc post on the food forums as I said I would when November hit. Please enjoy a look and some posting over there too friends! The more the merrier at times like this!
    I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • Fri, Nov 1 2013 5:29 PM In reply to

BB, I try to eat healthy all year Thanksgiving and Christmas are really my only splurge meals so I plan to enjoy them like Loveday I usually bake my sweet potato and sprinkle mine with a little bit of butter and cinnamon.
  • Fri, Nov 1 2013 6:59 PM In reply to

I am not involved in planning the big meal.  was just informed of what to bring, 10 pumpkin pies, 5 mincemeat (3 elk and 2 moose mincemeat) and at least 10 huckleberry cheesecake pies.  One uncle would really appreciate a lemon meringue and our elderly neighbor (he will be 98 this year) would love a carmel pecan pie, so looks like a minimum of 27 pies. 

I also have to bring pancake syrup for Saturday morning breakfast.  Thanksgiving dinner will be 150 and Saturday breakfast will be about 40. 

I have cherry, huckleberry, thimbleberry, elderberry and chokecherry syrups to take.

• Wed, Nov 6 2013 9:18 AM In reply to

OH! I want to come to YOUR Thanksgiving, mtviolet!! You must live up north if you're having moose? I've never made actual mincemeat, though I had deer mincemeat once and liked it.

Down here in central Ohio, I share the meal prep w/my SIL as usual. This year we'll eat at my house, so in addition to the usual house cleaning I also have to polish the family silver (passed down on my DH/SIL's side so not optional). Last Christmas I bought the special fabric for making anti-tarnish pouches for silver, and in addition to making my SIL pouches for her serving pieces for Christmas I also made some more pouches/rolls for storing our serving pieces, so I'm hoping when I unwrap them this year there will be less polishing to do!

I try to dry all the bread for the stuffing (we prefer the really hearty breads to the cubes sold for stuffing in the stores) in the week before Thanksgiving, though I usually have stuffing cubes in the pantry from bread that was going stale that I cubed and dried earlier in the year, too. My local grocery has a "spend $600 in October/November and get a free frozen turkey" promotion every year, and I'll pick up our free turkey on Saturday before Thanksgiving and let it thaw in a cooler in the garage. (If we get sudden above-50s weather I can throw blankets over the cooler, but I do not have room in my fridge or freezer for a big turkey. For TD leftovers we depend on "the BIG refrigerater" i.e. the garage, too, which is pretty reliable here in November.) Relative to spending that $600 in two months, my family of four easily does that, but if we're short I stock up on the things that are on sale, like canned pumpkin, chicken stock, evaporated milk, to use over the winter. (Pumpkin sausage soup is VERY popular w/my family, and I use the canned pumkin in curry dishes as well as quick breads.)

I also try to think ahead about how to bring focus during the gathering to the purpose of the meal: thanks-giving. I like to do just a little bit more than the starting grace. A friend of ours does a reading before their meal, with a prompt to be thinking of during the meal and a response invited between the meal and the dessert. For instance, he once read from one of the Puritan's journals, and the prompt was, "Think of a time when you struggled or suffered, but with the help of friends came out alright." (He was thinking of friends as "the hands of God" as alluded to in the reading, but did not want to limit people's responses.) I don't usually do a reading, but just pose a question, like, "Who from your past do you wish you could thank today, for gifts you did not recognize at the time?" During the response time, people take turns sharing, if they like, no pressure; I find that being the first to respond helps others feel comfortable, and that letting others randomly pipe up (instead of going around the table) makes it easier for some to choose not to share.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us