Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Halloween Candy

Last post Thu, Oct 31 2013 8:49 PM by Linda Cecil. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 24 2013 1:06 PM

Halloween Candy

The higher cost of things seems to have an impact on how much candy has been given out and the quality the last couple of years.

Are you giving out less candy? How much are you spending this Halloween?
    $ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • Thu, Oct 24 2013 1:15 PM In reply to

Re: Halloween Candy

For the first time ever, I'm not giving out candy this year.Embarrassed Combination of high candy cost, too many kids bused in from other neighbourhood--a lot of them clearly just a bit too old to be trick or treating!-- and the fact that I'm the only one in the family who answers the door on Halloween night (DS and DD are usually out with friends or at work, and DH can't do it because he's a teacher and we live in his school's district and he doesn't want too many of the students knowing where he lives). So the lights will be off and I'll be hiding back in the den watching TV for those two hours. I sort of feel bad, because I've always loved seeing the little kids and their costumes, but I think I'm just...over it now.Tongue Tied

"The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Thu, Oct 24 2013 1:32 PM In reply to

I used to have a wonderful time making up bags of quality candy in my former neighborhood. The place became a little scary because some ladies almost as old as I am brought their children around 9.00 pm after I filled the children's bags the older ladies helt out their bags out for candy also just scary. Since I have moved further out in the country and don't feel as if we will have trick o treat if I do if not many I will be giving out 4 quarters instead of candy.
  • Thu, Oct 24 2013 7:08 PM In reply to

No candy here, not for a lot of years. The town does a parade and gives out candy. Really, no kids live near us. I just turn out the lights, we bake a pizza and watch TV. Babs

• Thu, Oct 24 2013 7:24 PM In reply to

The kids in our town have so many 'trick or treat' events! The town lights the bridge and hands out candy to kids who come walking by, the nursing home hands out candy to all the kids who come thru, many kids have parties etc.. So, what we do...we make up little bags of treats for the neighbor kids that we know, turn out the lights deliver them and then head out of town for dinner. The malls in the town nearby also give out treats to the kids. (each store). So I don't feel too bad doing it that way.
  • Fri, Oct 25 2013 10:05 AM In reply to

There is a lot of halloween events. like a photo booth at the mall with halloween theme.   cadets/gems fall on halloween so they are doing a party so think kids will do trick n treating and then go to the party. they only go to a few blks.    spend about $50 on candy. discount lollipops from last year  choc etc. we like to eat a lot of it lol. kids making treat bags.  get about 50 kids.   no old ladies or many teens. we stop handing out candy at 8pm.  no lilttle kids need to be out late and everyone gets enough candy.   no one needs huge bags full though some do. 

halloween party at guides too.    we always have people over to go trick n treating together. have hotdogs etc. but will let them know it ends earlier this year.

• Fri, Oct 25 2013 10:38 AM In reply to

Not here but not because of money costs although I do agree the cost is pricey for it, especially for the households that get mass trick or treaters. I have not been passing out candy for a few years. Last time I passed out treats it was little boxes of raisins which I found a healthier alternative to all the candy and sugar stuff these kids are already going to rack up on Halloween. I do not want to contribute to unhealthy eating habits and dental problems, sure raisins are not best for the teeth either but brush after so they don't stick naturally sugary fruit bits in the teeth. Overall though a lot healthier than processed candy. I won't go there lol This year I will turn down the lights like last year. We have a day event planned at a local pottery studio, that should be fun.
    I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • Fri, Oct 25 2013 10:38 AM In reply to

Not here but not because of money costs although I do agree the cost is pricey for it, especially for the households that get mass trick or treaters. I have not been passing out candy for a few years. Last time I passed out treats it was little boxes of raisins which I found a healthier alternative to all the candy and sugar stuff these kids are already going to rack up on Halloween. I do not want to contribute to unhealthy eating habits and dental problems, sure raisins are not best for the teeth either but brush after so they don't stick naturally sugary fruit bits in the teeth. Overall though a lot healthier than processed candy. I won't go there lol This year I will turn down the lights like last year. We have a day event planned.
    I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • Fri, Oct 25 2013 10:48 AM In reply to

I'll be giving out candy!

I've probably spent less on candy this year than ever, but it's not because of the cost. I typically start buying candy as soon as I see it in the store and put it in my pantry. In the past, I've eaten through a few bags of candy before Halloween rolls around and end up buying a bunch more to make up for what I ate :-)

This year, for health reasons, I didn't buy candy until this week AND I bought full size bars. I would never eat an entire bar, so they are unopened and safe until Halloween.

I do make special "bags" for the children and will put in a spider ring, a few pieces of small candy and one candy bar. My grandchildren get a special bag, bucket or pumpkin full of treats. Small toys, rings, notebooks, bracelets and of course candy!

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • Fri, Oct 25 2013 7:30 PM In reply to

I generally don't give out candy per se, but I give out other things... Play Doh has been the most popular item! I've also given out small bags of pretzels, juice boxes, fun pencils, etc. We don't get a lot of trick-or-treaters because we're in a cul-de-sac, but enough that I still hand out treats.
    Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us