Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Favorite Frugal Recipes

Last post 10-22-2013 8:46 PM by BargainBistro. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-02-2013 8:32 PM

Favorite Frugal Recipes

What is your most frugal recipe? Share with those looking to try some new money saving meals.
    $ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • 10-02-2013 11:22 PM In reply to

Re: Favorite Frugal Recipes

One I used tonight is both quick and easy. Split pea soup. I use green or yellow split peas, a diced potato, a diced onion, one or two diced carrots, ham if I have it, bone broth if I don't, and a bay leaf. This makes a warm pot of tummy-filling yumminess. AM
  • 10-03-2013 10:18 AM In reply to

Breakfast - crockpot  applesauce  and cinnamon

Lunch I love a salad we have with leftovers

Dinner it got to be boxes Mac & Cheese with tuna, peas and mushroom soup

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

• 10-03-2013 10:51 AM In reply to

Our favorite frugal meal is vegetarian taco salad.
  • 10-03-2013 10:55 AM In reply to

• mary w.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-27-2007
    • Austin texas
    • Posts 465

Sliced link sausage, chopped potatoes and onions, coined carrots, jalapenos if you want and 1 yellow 1 green and 1 red bell peppers chopped. Spray a large 9 x 13 or larger pan with spray. Add all the above. Top with a few slices of bacon and sprinkle with garlic salt. Then wrap wrap with foil. Bake at 350 until potatoes are done.
    mary w.
    Filed under:
  • 10-03-2013 11:57 AM In reply to

Right now, we're working through a giant sack of organic steel cut oats we got at Costco. DH likes cereal or Greek yogurt for breakfast in warm weather months but likes oatmeal from October through just about March or April. Thank goodness, because cereal and Greek yogurt are pricey and he goes through that stuff like a Hoover! I did the oats in the crockpot at first, but decided the stovetop kind was just better. Our recipe is to toast 2 cups of steel cut oats with about 2-3 tablespoons of butter until golden and toasty, and then add in 4 cups of hot water. Once it comes to a violent boil, knock the heat back to a simmer, cover with a lid and let it go for about 20 minutes. Then stir in a pinch of salt and 2 cups of milk. We've used regular milk, coconut milk, almond milk - its all good! Sometimes I will replace 1 cup of milk with a cup of canned pumpkin. Either way stir it in and simmer a few more minutes until its nice and creamy. It is SO good this way! I keep bowls of cinnamon brown sugar, raisins, and toasted nuts on the kitchen table so DH can help himself in the morning. I just keep the oatmeal in the fridge and he scoops himself out a bowl in the morning and reheats it with a little hot water and a minute or two in the microwave. Keeps him full for hours.
    Filed under: ,
  • 10-05-2013 11:30 PM In reply to

Whole grain pancakes or waffles spread with nut butter and topped with fruit. AM
  • 10-06-2013 7:54 AM In reply to

Beans (black, refried, pinto) and rice, topped with salsa and eaten with tortilla chips! You can melt some cheese on top, but I don't even bother.

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • 10-16-2013 7:53 PM In reply to

We fix our split pea soup almost identical to Anna Marie's up above.  Also, beans and rice and an Indian dish called Lentil Dahl with flatbread...that is also very cheap. 

• 10-18-2013 2:45 PM In reply to

Mrsobrien, have you tried making yogurt for your DH. To make it into Greek yogurt, you just strain it using cheese cloth or butter muslin. It is way cheaper and you know what is in it. Babs

Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us