Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Frugal and fun fall adventures and pampering for singles!

Last post 10-03-2013 6:10 PM by MRSOBRIEN. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-24-2013 2:30 PM

Frugal and fun fall adventures and pampering for singles!

The red sumac here is out, the leaves are bright yellow, we had a little rain that greened up the grass. The colors are beautiful. 

As we head into fall, there are events that are lots of time percieved as "couple" items, such holiday gatherings, football, hosting and attending holiday and work parties.  Even taking a part in church activities can seem to be more for married folks!  

Let's take some time to have a fun and active fall. If you are a single or a single parent, what are some ways to celebrate fall frugally and in a way that makes you happy? 

• 09-24-2013 8:12 PM In reply to

Re: Frugal and fun fall adventures and pampering for singles!

I absolutely LOVE to see others so enthusiastic about seasonal changes and the beauty and blessing each one brings. This post is great, thank you. I am single and while I do like solo time I also like spending time with my Mom and loved ones so I am planning more of these moments this Fall. Little fun dates at home or out on the town... free events... nature time... coffee shop/tea room dates... thrifting... all fun with a good friend. I would also like to volunteer again this season. That's a great way to connect. I also enjoy cozy movie times at home with a nice dinner prepared to share, those are really fond favorites especially as the weather turns...The fireplaces are a real treat and candles too.
    I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • 09-24-2013 10:24 PM In reply to

Football games. Making a spice cake. Hiking without breaking a sweat. Fall festivals everywhere. Assembling a cheap costume and going trick-or-treating with a neighbor and children. Fall camping is superb, especially after a frost to kill the skeeters. Martha, rainy day camping is not so great unless the tent is dry enough to snuggle. Picking muscadines and persimmons; making individual apple pies or turnovers. Cooking apple or pear butter and making candied or caramel apples.
  • 09-24-2013 11:49 PM In reply to

Hunting season.

• 09-25-2013 12:00 PM In reply to

lol but I am going to a  girl guide camp so can't do what I want and life and activities go on...may be sleeping in a camper though.

I don't know about singles events but you can arrange to do fall things with friends.  last hikes, harvest events. enjoying apple season. special dinners.    here thanksgiving starts early oct so those events start early and then it is halloween season.

• 09-25-2013 12:13 PM In reply to

I absolutely love this weather and all the activities that go along with it! While I didn't make it to the cider mill yet, I'm hoping to do that this weekend. It's not always a frugal activity as I usually have my grandchildren with me, but the memories are forever :-)

Do any cities near you have any fall activities? I'm near a city, right on the Detroit River and they have a "3rd Friday" event every month. October is usually dedicated to breast cancer activities so I'll probably do that.

Decoration for fall can be frugal as well. I have a bowl of leaves that my grandchildren have given me through the years so I'll put that out. My grandson painted a pumpkin years ago and it's totally dried out now, so that takes a place on my dining room table. I've started collecting pinecones for wreaths, ornaments and centerpieces which is very frugal decorating.

Keep the ideas coming!

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • 09-28-2013 12:09 AM In reply to

I'll be taking my younger girls here,

http://www.severscornmaze.com/index.php

we got discount tickets for $7.  I bought 5.  I am looking forward to a day outside this weekend, maybe not tomorrow, maybe Sunday.  

• 10-01-2013 8:02 PM In reply to

My favorite fall decorations come from nature. I gather colorful leaves every day when I take my walk and arrange them in a basket, along with some acorns and crabapples. This hangs outside my kitchen door on the porch railing. When the "Jack Be Little" pumpkins show up at the farmers' market, I buy three of them for $2 and set one on each step of my front stoop (the bottom step has a large potted petunia instead, which blooms from May through November). And inside, I have a vase of marigolds (harvested from my garden) on the kitchen table for a splash of fall color.

Other pleasures of fall include local apples and apple cider from the farmer's market, dressing up for Halloween (in a homemade costume, of course), and college football games (I opt for the Princeton games at $10 a ticket, with collegiate silliness in the halftime show, rather than the Rutgers games at $50 a ticket with impossible traffic for hours before and after the game). There's also our town's big annual yard sale, which is this coming weekend and will involve dozens if not hundreds of sales all over town. This is the best kind of yard-sale shopping: if you don't find anything at one sale, there's sure to be another one just down the street.
    My Ecofrugal Living blog: ecofrugality.blogspot.com
  • 10-01-2013 9:07 PM In reply to

YES! Highway 411 sale, Bristol TN to Gadsden AL, starts day after tomorrow. I am so ready for the hunt.
  • 10-03-2013 12:29 PM In reply to

We have made caramel apples and went to the corn maze.  I am hoping to get some Halloween candy soon and also plan a few Halloweeny desserts.  I need to walk, I haven't been making any time for exercise.  We have lots of lakes in the metro, I need to walk around them and admire the leaves this month! That is easy to do by myself. 

Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us