Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Mother to be broke and worried. Need help

Last post Tue, Dec 3 2013 3:49 PM by dmc_2008. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (30 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 13 2013 2:26 PM

Mother to be broke and worried. Need help

Hello. This is my first post. I apologize if this isn't in the right section. I am 18 weeks pregnant with my first child.i have lost my job as a vet technician for being pregnant. I've found a part time job in retail. I live in an aparment with my fiancé our rent is 560 a month our utilities is 30 and our electricity runs around 100. We just cut cable. We're not making enough money anymore with my job loss. I have looked for more work but now that I am obviously showing its really not in the cards. W Our fridge is pretty empty. I am ashamed to say it but have turned to wic so that gives us basic food. I believe with a lot of cutting and budgeting we can afford our rent and car payment/insurance But not much else. I'm looking for any help at all and advice on living when times are very tough. I have faith we will be okay but I would appreciate some guidance.
  • Fri, Sep 13 2013 2:57 PM In reply to

Re: Mother to be broke and worried. Need help

Since you have experience as a vet tech, perhaps you could develop a pet-sitting and or dog-walking service. AM
  • Fri, Sep 13 2013 3:16 PM In reply to

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm def trying to get little gigs doing that. Luckily I have two clients that tell me to house sit/pet sit but it's maybe 3 times a year although I get paid a whole months rent worth it isn't often enough lol. I've been advertising on care as a dog walker/pet
  • Fri, Sep 13 2013 4:07 PM In reply to

I would look for food pantry, food banks in your area. Lots of time, they are in churches, Have you applied for food stamps/SNAP? Both of these would help with food budget. I would also ask around for donations of baby clothes and equipment. If there is a Crisis Pregnancy Center, often called Carenet, contact them. They are great sources for support and often other programs to help you. Babs

• Fri, Sep 13 2013 7:37 PM In reply to

First, swallow your pride and find a food bank. You and the baby need it. While there, ask if they know of any agencies that can assist people with rent andor utilities. Sometimes churches will come to food banks (or other locations) once a month and write out a check for a portion of the bill.

Second, take inventory of what you do have on hand. How many tubes of toothpaste, bottles of shampoo, etc? Do you have any sample packages? What's in the cupboard?

It's really hard to figure out what to cut when there's nothing left to cut, isn't it? I would not recommend getting rid of cell phones right now, not with a baby on the way. If you won't be penalized (and if you haven't already done so), reduce it to the cheapest plan possible. I read something recently about someone reducing their phone bill using Google Voice; I'll see if I can find it again and post it.

Does your electric company have "peak hours" or do they charge the same rate all day long? Ours used to, and we tried to use as little electricity as possible during those hours, saving things like running the washing machine until later in the day when it was cheaper. Now they charge the same rate all day, so we can't cut down on the budget that way. :/ Still, it's worth a look at your utility rates.

Additionally, you may qualify for your utility company's low-income rate. Look into that too, if you haven't already.

How do you access the internet? Is Netzero or Freedom Pop available in your area?

How short is your budget? How much of a gap do you need to bridge?

Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Fri, Sep 13 2013 7:40 PM In reply to

Also, if you lost your job due to your pregnancy, you may qualify for temporary disability in your state. Check that out too!
    Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Fri, Sep 13 2013 7:52 PM In reply to

I am with everyone here suggesting to seek out all help possible and remember that the reason it's there is to help people in need not to feel bad or ashamed about. We are all going to reach struggle points in our lives, it happens, keep that faith strong. You three will be okay. Remember how important it is right now to take care of yourself and the baby. I know you wrote about pet sitting/walking - just don't over do it. If you are at a point where you are still able to do this, try posting on craigslist or care.com for this kind of work/gigs. Also, is your husband able to take on any side gigs like handy man stuff? Every little bit helps. Spider offered some really good advice above! Are you able to afford medical care? or getting help there? http://www.needymeds.org/free_clinics.taf
    I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • Fri, Sep 13 2013 10:35 PM In reply to

• mary w.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 27 2007
    • Austin texas
    • Posts 465

Makeupmommy,

I'm not sure where you live, but where we live there is an agency called Any Baby Can .  They provide baby clothes,  possibly some maternity clothes, diapers and formula.  They also provide infant information.  Our local food bank is also connected to a thrift store where they give vouchers for clothes,  coats, shoes and other items.  They give assistance with electricity, rent, gas, and prescriptions.  We also have an agency that gives out fans during the summer.  The library is a great place to get movies, books on pregnancy and children, they sometimes show outdoor movies on the weekends.  Most have free computers.  Some have free classes and other activites.  There are many resources available in larger towns.  Most towns also have there own web sites where you can find free things to do in your town.  I will pray that you find some of these resources in your area.  

mary w.
    Filed under:
  • Fri, Sep 13 2013 11:11 PM In reply to

• vivid
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 2 2013
    • Posts 594

Please don't be ashamed to say it, there have been a tough time for most of us. You will get better!
  • Sat, Sep 14 2013 9:50 AM In reply to

Firing someone for pregnancy is illegal. Contact your county Legal Aid office.
Page 1 of 3 (30 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us