Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Adult ADHD

Last post Mon, Sep 2 2013 11:08 PM by Gayla57. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 28 2013 7:22 AM

Adult ADHD

8 million adults are reported to have ADHD. It is believed that these adults are in higher number for low work performance, accidents, substance abuse and unemployment. This can be costing many people money or earning them lower wages.

How do you know if you have it? Are there any solutions for those who struggle with this?

http://m.everydayhealth.com/adhd-pictures/10-signs-you-could-have-adult-adhd?xid=aol_rss#/slide-1
    $ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • Wed, Aug 28 2013 11:31 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Re: Adult ADHD

DH always held a job, but they were always physically demanding and I think that helped.  We found that keeping a pretty set schedule and lists for him to refer to helps him stay on task.  I've also found it helpful to make sure we have eye  contact and tell it back to me.

Does it drive me crazy?  Sometimes!!!

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Wed, Aug 28 2013 1:58 PM In reply to

first hi grame and brandy......

brandy i have two poeple that suffer from this cheap skate 50 and dh nothing wrong just sometimes its hard for them sometimes not...

chrissanne
  • Thu, Aug 29 2013 11:13 AM In reply to

We don't have it in the family but dd friend parents have it.  the mom is real bad at managing things (parents are split up) but also doesn't try to improve her life. the stepmom says that she justs gets frustrated because though the dad is on the pills it seems work gets the best of him and she gets him when the pills are wearing off.   the kids have it too.  

my sister claims her kid has it but really he is a spoiled brat and she doesn't want to change her parenting ..he is basically wrecked anyways now.

I know there some celebrities up here that didn't realize they had adult adhd until they were middle aged. like red green.. probably because people didn't know about it then.

• Mon, Sep 2 2013 8:24 PM In reply to

We're dealing and working with getting DH treated for this. We've gotten the diagnosis, but have been fighting with a psychiatrist that claims with DH being a SAHD, he doesn't have grades or work performance to judge effectiveness of treatment. Now we're trying a different route for treatment, he has an appointment tomorrow. We found out we may be able to get disability for him with his combination of issues of ADHD, off the charts depression, and OCD. It's definitely cost us money as it has impacted his ability to hold a job, and since the last one get one. It's impacted his ability to pursue higher education. It's also impacted our budget, as he doesn't have the time management ability to pursue the home making and cooking and planning skills that would help reduce grocery costs, etc further. There's also his limits with keeping track of things that lead to leftovers going unused due to not knowing how old they are for food safety, in addition to simply not being able to differentiate between leftovers that should be eaten for lunch or those that are enough to be used for another dinner. All these are complicated further by me working night shifts, which is why I'm working hard to get a daytime job, be it where I am now or elsewhere.
    Kris in VA
  • Mon, Sep 2 2013 11:08 PM In reply to

my DD is able to control her ADHD with the skills she learned as a child with Add she is does well  we have at least two of the boys with it are the ones who play the hardest and work the hardest I am amazed at the energy  the boys elect to control themselves without meds .. . but there are times when they have to just go out side ...

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us