Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Painting kitchen Cabinets

Last post Tue, Jun 17 2014 10:11 PM by maxmiller. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 27 2013 10:41 PM

Painting kitchen Cabinets

Has anyone ever sanded down their kitchen cabinets and painted another color you liked better than the old color? After all was said and done were you pleased, disappointed or extremely happy with the results?
  • Wed, Aug 28 2013 10:24 AM In reply to

Re: Painting kitchen Cabinets

We have sanded down and repainted out cabinets 2x.  Didn't like the first time but DH picked the color and it was too light for me.  The second time was about 2 years ago.  This time I picked the color and love it.

But my cabinets are real wood, hand built in the 40's.  That may make a difference. 

retired

• Wed, Aug 28 2013 10:27 AM In reply to

That's a job I need to do in my kitchen. My cabinets aren't solid wood, though, they're cheap pressboard from the early 80s. The interiors are still like new, but the outsides look like you'd expect after living here for almost 30 years. A friend of mine has the same kind of cabinets and painted them recently. They turned out beautifully. So I"m encouraged. I want to paint mine white and add new hardware to update the look even further.
    "The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Wed, Aug 28 2013 10:42 AM In reply to

Would love to hear more about this Loveday. I have not-so-great pressboard, too, and like yours the interior is nice, but the exterior needs a little help. Ultimately would love to replace, but that is many years down the road.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Wed, Aug 28 2013 12:07 PM In reply to

My cabinets are pine, built in the early 50's.  I have painted them twice in the 24 years we've lived here and am ready to do it again later this year, or at least by next spring. Overall, I am happy with how they turned out, but am in the process of researching the project now to see how to avoid one problem I had both times.  Both times, the paint on the inside of the doors would "stick" when I closed the cabinets and that caused them to start looking bad in a pretty short period of time.  Both times, I used a clear sealer after I painted, which I thought would prevent that from happening, but it didn't.  There has to be a way around this, something I either didn't do or did wrong, so want to find an answer to this problem before attempting it again.  I would appreciate any tips that others find about the best way to do this project.

Carol
    western NC
  • Wed, Aug 28 2013 12:25 PM In reply to

Check out this blog. You may have to search a bit for more of the details, but her cabinets turned out nice.

http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2013/08/the-after-cabinet-photos/

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • Wed, Aug 28 2013 1:15 PM In reply to

maziemom:
     My cabinets are pine, built in the early 50's.  I have painted them twice in the 24 years we've lived here and am ready to do it again later this year, or at least by next spring. Overall, I am happy with how they turned out, but am in the process of researching the project now to see how to avoid one problem I had both times.  Both times, the paint on the inside of the doors would "stick" when I closed the cabinets and that caused them to start looking bad in a pretty short period of time.  Both times, I used a clear sealer after I painted, which I thought would prevent that from happening, but it didn't.  There has to be a way around this, something I either didn't do or did wrong, so want to find an answer to this problem before attempting it again.  I would appreciate any tips that others find about the best way to do this project.
    What about those small rubber or felt pads? You have to figure out the contact points so you know where to place them, but they do work. Cheap and easy to replace, too.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Wed, Aug 28 2013 1:56 PM In reply to

sunshinetreva:
    Would love to hear more about this Loveday. I have not-so-great pressboard, too, and like yours the interior is nice, but the exterior needs a little help. Ultimately would love to replace, but that is many years down the road.
    I wish I could replace, too, not to mention the countertop, the dishwasher, and the built-in stove (hard to replace on its own as they don't make this style much anymore and I'd have to cut into the back of the counter top where it goes up the wall a few inches).

Not sure what my friend used to prep her cabinets, but I know they can be sanded and primed just like wood, because I did my bathroom cabinets that way and they're exactly the same material. I did the downstairs bathroom about four years ago, and the under-sink cabinet still looks as good as it did when I first painted it. I imagine the kitchen cabinets will need extra sanding, though, to remove any grease buildup from cooking.

I think it's just a matter of taking a lot of time, maybe doing it all in stages, one section at a time, and being very meticulous. Kitchen cabinets get a lot more use than bathroom ones, so extra care is that much more important. I've just been putting it off because once I start, I have to keep going, and I don't know just how long I could hold out before the sciatica flared up, or my knee gave out, or my shoulder started giving me a fit. In other words--I should have tackled this particular project when I was MUCH younger! LOL!

Grannie_Sue:
    Check out this blog. You may have to search a bit for more of the details, but her cabinets turned out nice.

http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2013/08/the-after-cabinet-photos/

I'm totally inspired now--her cabinets look great! Hopefully I'll be over this particular bout of sciatica soon and can maybe start on my cabinets this fall when the weather cools. It would be great to have them done by the holidays! Big Smile
    "The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Wed, Aug 28 2013 5:53 PM In reply to

When we lived in Idaho, we had the not-so-great pressboard, in a dark wood tone, with a "spanish" type handle in the middle of the cabinet. I removed the handles, filled the holes with putty, then painted.  I painted them white, using oil based primer & oil based paint, 3 coats each.  I let each coat dry for 24 hours for the primer, & 48 for the paint.  I painted inside the cabinets as well.  I drilled new holes & installed new handles.

I had no problems with the paint sticking.  I think that becomes a problem when the "layers" are not sufficiently dry before the next coat is applied.

They turned out great, & we loved them.  They were SOOO much easier to clean.
  • Wed, Aug 28 2013 6:22 PM In reply to

Thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions.  The cabinets on that blog did turn out good Sue.  Thank you for that link; it inspires me.  It is very possible that I did not allow sufficient drying time between coats of paint, so I will be vigilant about that next time.  The humidity is also high here in the spring/summer, which is when I did the project both of the other times, so maybe if I do it in cooler weather, that will help also.

Carol
    western NC
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us