Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Favorite One Dish Wonders?

Last post Mon, Aug 19 2013 7:50 PM by BargainBistro. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 17 2013 9:10 AM

Favorite One Dish Wonders?

Fall will be approaching soon here and I am trying to think ahead about making some one one dish wonders (I tend to call them one pot dumps lol) in my crock pot... I know a lot of us love making these kinds of meals to serve with simple sides. More crock pot dumps will be easier for me right now and as the new season approaches. I'd like to get my act together and bulk cook grains and beans/legumes to have on hand/freezer pull to serve with the one dish wonder meals and then whatever fruit and veggie sides I plan for each meal. I'd really love to start making some more vegetarian crock pot dump dishes. What are some of your favorite one dish wonders? How do you like to round the out to make a balanced meal while still keeping things easy and less time consuming in the kitchen? Please share details, ideas and recipes. I know I am not the only one looking for more of these kinds of ideas right now so let's help each other out. Ps. Is it just me or who else LOVES the kind of one pot wonders you can keep on low or warm all day and help yourself to as desired?
    I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • Sat, Aug 17 2013 10:10 AM In reply to

Re: Favorite One Dish Wonders?

Great idea, BB!

This isn't a vegetarian dish, but it's so easy and delicious, you may want to give it a try! It's forgiving and just yummy!

In my version, I place 4 boneless chicken breasts (they can even be frozen) in the bottom of the pot. On top of that, I pour a can of corn, a can of black beans, a can of chicken broth and a jar of salsa. Cook on low all day or until the chicken it falling apart. About an hour before serving, place an 8 ounce brick of cream cheese on top. It will be melted in an hour or so.

I eat this in a variety of ways. I love it before the cream cheese is added, just by itself or over a bed of rice. Love it even more with the cream cheese (can use low fat).

Dress it up any way you like, it's so yummy!

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • Sat, Aug 17 2013 1:02 PM In reply to

easy corn chowder

2 cans 14 1/ 2 ounces each  chicken broth

1 bag  16 ounces  frozen corn kernels

3 small potatoes . ppeed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces

1 red bell pepper , diced

1  meduim oinon , diced

1 rib of celery , sliced

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon balck pepper

1/4 teaspoon ground coriander

1/2 cup heavy cream

8 slices of bacon crisp cooked  and crumbled . (  optional )

place broth, corn, potatoes , bell pepper , onion , celery , salt , black peppper  and corriander

in the crock  cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours

partially mash soup  mixture with potato masher to thickne .  stir in the cream cook on high uncovered on high until hot .. Adjust the seasoningz if desired garnish with bacon.

this is really good  I use this one at the  Wonderful Wednesday for I make it up in roaster oven  ( it really just a large crock pot any how )  

and my Granddaughters wanted to tell you about how good this is with Goat Milke cheese sprinkled in it .

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

• Sat, Aug 17 2013 1:16 PM In reply to

Wonderful everyone, I will start a new soup and stew mission soon and will for sure share the recipes I try that come out good!
    I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • Sat, Aug 17 2013 1:40 PM In reply to

three pepper  pasta sauce

1 each red, green and yellow bell peppers cut into 1 inch piees  ( 3 cups of peppers )

2 cans ( 14 oz) diced tomatoes  undrained

1 cup chopped onion

1 can tomatoes paste  (6 0z ) can

4 cloves of garlic minced

2 tablesppons olive oil

1 teaspoon dried basil leaves

1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or ground pepper

hot cooked pasta

shreddded Parmesan or Romano chees

combine all ingrediates expect pasta and cheese in the crock pot cook on low for 7 to 8 hours

or until vegetables aretender .

adjust the seasoning if desired. Serve with pasta ahd cheese.  

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

• Sat, Aug 17 2013 3:44 PM In reply to

English Bread pudding

16 slices of day old firm textured whit bread  (1 small loaf )

1 3/4 cup of milk

1 package ( 8 oz) mixed dried fruit cut into small pieces \

1/2 chopped nuts

1 meduim apple ,cored and chopped 

1/3 packed brown sugar

1/4 cup melted butter

1 egg slightly beated

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

tear bread with crust into 1 to 2 inch piece s place in slow cooker pour milk over bread let it soak for 30 minutes stir in dried fruit , nuts and apple . combine the remaining ingedients in small bowl . pour over the bread cover cook on low 31/2 to 4 hours or until a skewer inserted in center comes out clean

*** chopping dried fruit is difficult   to make the job easier cut the fruit with scissors

Gayla57

• Sat, Aug 17 2013 6:25 PM In reply to

Never did this in a slow cooker; might work. Frozen cheese ravioli, frozen broccoli cooked together according to their own times. Jarred spaghetti sauce, Parmesan to top the whole bit. Nothing else required. AM
  • Sun, Aug 18 2013 1:43 AM In reply to

AM sounds like that one would go good with a creamy alfredo sauce or pesto in place of red sauce. I find broccoli to work better, taste wise, with their of these two. Morocco, Spain, Italy, Greece cuisines really interest me for these upcoming one dish wonders - can't wait to play with Fall harvest veggies and ethnic cuisines... Indian too. I am surprised no one called out chicken and dumplings yet!!! That one is a real treat here when I make it which is very rare but a treat when I do. This new season I will be planning on going ethnic, rustic, working with ancient whole grains and legumes/beans/peas more and of course fresh seasonal squashes/pumpkin and root veggies + seasonal fruits too.
  • Sun, Aug 18 2013 2:59 PM In reply to

I can't wait to try the corn chowder!  With cornbread.  Man that makes my mouth water!

retired

• Sun, Aug 18 2013 8:18 PM In reply to

This is not a crock pot dish, so I hope it's okay to include. Smile 

My favorite 'one dish wonder' is what I'm eating right now:

soup with water, little bit of seasoning packet, onion and garlic powders, Mrs. Dash's no salt seasoning mix, coarse black pepper---diced veggies: slivered green cabbage, carrots, celery, green onions, a handful of frozen green peas

a little meat: tonight it's an ounce or two of deli ham, julienned, 1/2 a package of oodles noodles.

cook all the seasonings and veggies until the veggies are tender and the broth tastes good

at the end add the noodles, frozen peas and sliced green onions

just enough for one hearty serving

I never, ever get tired of it!

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us