Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Homeschoolers..what are you doing to get ready for September?

Last post Thu, Sep 26 2013 10:16 PM by vivid. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 15 2013 11:17 PM

Homeschoolers..what are you doing to get ready for September?

What are you going..are you ready?

Well I am basically ready for the fall!  I never really stopped looking for curriculium or opportunities for learning this summer so found some great things and websites. Plus keeping an eye out at thrift stores.    Since this is my second year homeschooling it is a bit easier! 

I found workbooks and more books from value village all a 3rd of the price ..gr 6 english smart, math smart and general curriculium workbooks. I find them good for reference and just for work.   Found gr 4 math book and curriculium..picked up english smart at costco $8   Science smart I can get from the library and photocopy. 

Have found about 8 books to add to our reference collection.   all value village so with previous books and workbooks from thrift stores and homeschool fair I can copy for the kids.  I love the eye witness series. Got beautiful workbooks cheap at the fair so don't want to wreck them.   

I got a bunch of items free or cheap on the pay what you want sale at Currclick.     I have leftover work books and printouts that we didn't use last year.  I have art supplies and science kits plus craft kits most cheap, gifts or value village. 

Of course I don't know what is coming up at the homelearners centre this year.

Besides basic Math, English, Canada History and Language Arts.  Have art crafts and ideas too. 

DD wants to study Mythological Creatures so lots we can do with that..have done some research online for lessons etc.

Since she loves horses..doing a novel study on Black Beauty plus other horse stories plus riding lessons from our friend. She will send an invoice and I can get it paid from the grant.

Plan on studying Ancient Greece a bit plus Ancient Egypt which the kids wanted to do last year but no time.  So have leftover kits and books from last year.  Plus it builds on the day camp they did.   They love the old stories of Hercules and others plus the animals so lots they have just learned on their own.

The local college has free gym classes in the fall so kids are signed up because the homelearner centre is making it part of the day so it works out. 

Of course since everything can count that they do for homelearners as long as I have some type of proof...pictures, art etc .  Plus it is things the kids enjoy that we did before we started homeschooling...library programs, community programs, girl guides, cadets, taekwondo and what ever comes our way! 

Not going to overbook us !

Share!

• Fri, Aug 16 2013 9:50 AM In reply to

Re: Homeschoolers..what are you doing to get ready for September?

we school all year all year around  I do buy supplies when they are on sale and we began  getting them ready with earlier bed times the are ready to  step up and we start on Monday

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

• Fri, Aug 16 2013 11:14 AM In reply to

I try to do that too but kids don't like to do much in the summer lol    They went to summer school and the greek camp.  Though the greek camp was more for fun because they wanted to do it.    Sept will be the serious start with math etc.

• Thu, Sep 26 2013 10:16 PM In reply to

• vivid
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 2 2013
    • Posts 594

Always go camping:)
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us