Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Braces

Last post Fri, Dec 27 2013 5:41 PM by tracyinmn. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 14 2013 10:04 PM

Braces

What are people paying for braces?  I got a quote for $6000, with two insurances, down to $4000 for top and bottom, for 15 months, includes retainers.   Ouch!  Is this the going rate?  

• Wed, Aug 14 2013 10:49 PM In reply to

Re: Braces

We are finishing up braces for my daughter, who will go into her retainers, in the next 3 months. Our bill was was 4500.00 over 15 months and since this was a second child we got a small discount ($250). This is pretty much the standard in our area(West TN). Our dental insurance does not cover orthodontics.
  • Thu, Aug 15 2013 7:06 AM In reply to

DD braces were 6 years ago. the cost was $5,500. We got a $500, discount for paying cash. I saved forever to do this. But DD wanted them so much. If her teeth had been a tiny bit worse , the state insurance would have paid the full amount, Babs

• Thu, Aug 15 2013 10:36 AM In reply to

All these quotes sound about right to me. In fact, I'm surprised they're not a bit higher, because I paid around $4500-$5000 each for my two kids to wear braces about ten-twelve years ago (well, it took me five years to pay the whole amount, I didn't pay it all at once, of course). I would have thought inflation would have raised the price a bit by now. It's still a high price to pay, though. Tongue Tied
    "The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Thu, Aug 15 2013 11:32 AM In reply to

My daughter had her braces and pallet expander about 8 years ago and the total cost was about $6000 with the insurance only paying $1200 of the total amount. It took a couple of years to pay it off.
    Riley
  • Thu, Aug 15 2013 12:29 PM In reply to

Tracy, My friend paid 5,000 to 6,000 for her daughter's braces quite a few years ago. The cost is so worth it for the child to have nice teeth I know costly but everyone looks better with a mouthful of nice teeth.
  • Thu, Aug 15 2013 1:00 PM In reply to

DS17's braces were similar to Riley's above with pallet expander, braces, retainer e.t.c. The total cost was $5,500. Insurance paid $1,500, plus we got $500 discount for cash and another $500 for 3 referrals.
    Thank goodness only one of our sons needed them.

I believe they had a no interest payment plan for those who could not pay the cash, plus 10% discount for siblings.

Hannah

• Thu, Aug 15 2013 8:18 PM In reply to

This is making me kind of sad, I don't know where I will get the money from, but as she is  freshman, 14 years old, it is time to bite the bullet and get it done.  We are on food stamps, so you know we have little money.  I will make it work for her. Babs, like your daughter, she really wants them.  Also, it is not medically necessary, not bad enough.  I am going to put the $500 deposit down on Care Credit, to get it started. 

• Fri, Aug 16 2013 1:05 AM In reply to

Yes, that's the going rate here in CO. Not cheap by any means. A few years ago, our oldest son got them. We waited too long to get them. By the time we walked in, the ortho said it was the worst case he ever saw. Teeth overlapping, jaw too small, bottom jaw pushed back, upper jaw jutting out......The ortho said that years ago, his jaw would've had to been broken in surgery to fix his mouth....BUT, they had all of these different types of metal contraptions to fix it all in addition to wearing the braces. It took alot of effort and enduring of pain to get his mouth in order and after a couple of years, it worked. I'm sad that we waited so long. He couldn't eat properly and his jaw clicked all the time. Now, he's better but i'm still sad about it. The expense was alot that had to be considered.......
  • Wed, Aug 28 2013 9:34 AM In reply to

Estetik

Braces can be either cosmetic or structural. Dental braces are often used in conjunction with other orthodontic appliances to help widen the palate or jaws and to otherwise assist in shaping the teeth and jaws.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us