Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

My Simple Split Pea: Healthy, Healing, Vegan!

Last post Wed, Aug 14 2013 6:45 PM by MarthaMFI2. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Aug 11 2013 9:19 PM

My Simple Split Pea: Healthy, Healing, Vegan!

I love a good split pea soup. This vegan creation is one of my favorite simple split pea soups to make. Fresh herbs and vegetables add healing touch to delicious split peas. This soup is cooked in water, not broth, so it can slow cook itself into it's very own. The comfort of this soup makes it perfect for any kind of meal... yes, even breakfast!

Ingredients:

2 lbs dry split peas

1/2 stalk fresh celery, chopped

6 large carrots, chopped

1 large sweet onion, chopped

A few cloves of fresh garlic, chopped

Fresh herbs: rosemary stalks and fresh parsley are a must. Include whatever other fresh herbs you would like - I love using fresh basil and cilantro in here too

Special split pea dry herb/spice mix: fennel seeds, steak seasoning spices, red pepper flakes, black peppercorns - whole, coarse or fresh ground

Water to fill

This will make a LARGE crock pot full and give you MANY servings. They freeze well but this soup goes fast, it's so delicious! I slow cook mine on LOW for 8-10 hours. I give it a gentle stir or two throughout the cooking process. The split peas will naturally start to smash themselves and the soup will gently thicken how it should. You can always add a bit more water if it's too thick but it should be nice and hearty but still soup spoon worthy!

I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • Sun, Aug 11 2013 10:05 PM In reply to

Re: My Simple Split Pea: Healthy, Healing, Vegan!

This sounds really good but no one here will eat split pea soup.
    Riley
  • Mon, Aug 12 2013 3:33 AM In reply to

Now that's a shame lol Making your own personal, HINT HINT HINT, small batch never hurts. You know you are allowed to enjoy solo things too dear... as I have argued in the past lol Salmon, your special green olives, a good veggie burger, etc. Smile. This one though is very affordable to make and can be done on the stove top as well or just dumped in the crock pot. The recipe can be reduced for a smaller batch if it's something you would like but they wouldn't - the extras will freeze well and come in great handy for a cold weather lunch or girlfriend soup and chat date.
    I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • Mon, Aug 12 2013 10:06 AM In reply to

I have a dear Uncle and beloved Aunt who love spilt pea soup I made up batch last week and we enjoy so much. I frorze the other half in two smalll containers I noticed a few minutes ago that I  one box is missing today he visit all the jails and the prison in  the area he gone all day  guess he having spilt pea soup it nice to be able to share .

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

• Mon, Aug 12 2013 11:26 AM In reply to

Gaya, I know you and I are split pea twins... split pea: any time of day, any time of year and season! How wonderful you made big batches to share and him to share to many as well. How big of batches do you make? Do you have one of those giant soup pots? I dream of a never ending soup in one of those LOL
  • Mon, Aug 12 2013 12:59 PM In reply to

BB I might just make up a small batch during the winter months.
    Riley
  • Mon, Aug 12 2013 9:26 PM In reply to

yes BB we have those very large pots with feet on them we  make an end of garden ,  or vegetable beef soup .  and I make apple butter 

but for the spilt pea I make it usually in my large corckpot we eat once then I freeze in a few boxes  he takes what he needs a few  boxes at a time  he visits with the prisons in the county jails and in the prison in N GA ..    he a good man  a Gideoni for years was former officer in the International and America Chapters he walks the walk ..  he helps with Jobs and try to reunite them with famiily . he a good man ...  and yes very year I get a new Bible so did DH and my kids I kinda miss the Big box of Bibles but he joy of seeing hold one of the grands or talking to my Kids warms my heart  I love my Uncle and we support his ministry . 

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

• Tue, Aug 13 2013 4:05 AM In reply to

• vivid
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 2 2013
    • Posts 594

Sounds great, will have a try, but don't know if i can enjoySmile

• Tue, Aug 13 2013 11:19 AM In reply to

Gayla, bless you all. It is so beautiful how strong you are all for the Lord and showing the compassion of Christ just as He wants us too. You are helping give the best gifts of all - the gift of salvation and God's endless love...
  • Tue, Aug 13 2013 4:38 PM In reply to

sounds similar to a dutch pea soup my mom makes...no celery or rosemary though.   sometimes she puts in meat or makes it with yellow peas. 

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us