Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Do you think it's important to take a vacation?

Last post Fri, Aug 2 2013 5:05 PM by Cheryl. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (24 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jul 27 2013 12:38 AM

Do you think it's important to take a vacation?

Because of health issues I haven't gone on vacation in years. But, I'm toying with the idea of taking some shorter day trips: somewhere within an hour's driving range (one way). I know gasoline is very expensive, but there wouldn't be any lodging costs and my meals would either be lunches packed at home or something off the dollar menu.

Now I need to plan an itinerary. I'm not up to walking long distances, but there are a number of small, rural towns nearby with curb markets, scenic overlooks, small parks and lots and lots of back roads.

Remember Rachael Ray's highly successful show some years back called, "Forty Dollars a Day"? My budget wouldn't be quite that generous, but the premise would be the same: pack up the car and just start driving. Wherever I end up an hour later I would stop and explore. Take LOTS of pictures, find someplace nice to eat and be home before dark.

What do you think?

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Sat, Jul 27 2013 12:56 AM In reply to

Re: Do you think it's important to take a vacation?

I say go for it. We have to take a yearly vacation so my husband doesn't go crazy or work from home, lol. If he's at home he will be either on the phone or computer so we leave the electronics at home and leave.
    Riley
  • Sat, Jul 27 2013 1:19 AM In reply to

BB I love day trips.  I retired last year and one of my goals to do was take day trips with my parents.   We've done several so far; inexpensive and lots of good quality time together.  I'm an only child and time is marching on, so time together and shared experiences are precious.

That RR show you mentioned was one of my favorite things she did on Food Network.  It gave an inside look at lots of interesting cities.

Carol
    western NC
  • Sat, Jul 27 2013 2:19 AM In reply to

No, I do not think a vacation is important.

I watched a co-worker lose her house, but take her family on a trip to Italy, "because they will always have those memories."  I guarantee her children will also have the memories of losing their home.

• Sat, Jul 27 2013 2:34 AM In reply to

I think vacations done to what you can afford are therapeutic.  But not a vacation that will break the bank.

DH and I have decided NOT to take a vacation this year, but he will take time off from work.  If he doesn't take it, he loses it.  We will do a couple of day trips ourselves.  One will be a scenic drive in the fall when the leaves start to turn.  The other hasn't been decided yet.

The trip we had planned was a little more than I was willing to spend for 4 days away.  Plus I have a dog that isn't in good health and he would panic at too much time away from me.  So we are saving money in a special account for a very nice trip in a couple of years.  Sounds juvenile but I really want to see Disney World!  And I want it to be paid for when we do it so I don't fret about the expense.

retired 

• Sat, Jul 27 2013 8:20 AM In reply to

I think everyone needs to get away once in a while. I know when I go on vacation, it takes me a few days to relax and enjoy it. I didn't realize I get that wound up from work. You don't have to spend a lot of money to enjoy yourself. Jill
  • Sat, Jul 27 2013 8:26 AM In reply to

retired:
    I think vacations done to what you can afford are therapeutic.
    I very much agree.

As many of you know dh doesn't make my life very easy and since he lost his last good job in 2009 the house has been going through some pretty big changes. I've gone from being a SAHM making his paycheck stretch to cover everything to being a WOHM and the bread winner.  Dh being dh was trying to figure out how to do things and did so by sitting in the recliner sleeping most of the day or letting the dks get away with whatever they wanted (till I get home). He told me that any problems weren't his fault when they come up even when I pointed out to him where and what he did was wrong.

A few months ago I was beyond worn out. I decided to go on a retreat for myself by myself. I decided I was going for a bike ride and picked a destination within a few hours bike ride. I saved the money, took the time off from work and rented a motel room (with a fridge).  I tossed a few days’ worth of clothes and my meds in my back pack and took off. Just me no dh or dks. Only 2 people (dc being one of them) knew where I was and my route. I would call home from my cell every night to make sure there weren’t any major disasters but other than that there was no contact with home.  

I spent my time riding bike trails, watching TV, reading, relaxing and taking in the town I was in. By the middle of the third day I knew what I wanted out of life and what I was going to put up with from dh. I was sooo de-stressed that I called dh asking him to bring me my cell phone charger and invited him to spend the night if he wanted to. The next day he brought home my dirty clothes and I rode my bike home. From what I’ve been told those few days alone made a 95% improvement in my attitude and I’m actually the person I used to be again.

One of the things that was suggested to me which wouldn’t cost that much was that I stay at a campground. I looked into it tent/camper sites in the state parks were $21 per night. I could have rented a cabin at some of them for 3x more. I’m not sure what the medical reasons you mentioned are bw but that’s a thought. 

thrift is a sign of intelligence, any fool can spend money

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit drieth the bones. Proverbs 17 verse 22
  • Sat, Jul 27 2013 10:17 AM In reply to

• map578
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 25 2011
    • Posts 462

I think it is important. It doesn't matter what you do or where you go a little down time spent with your loved ones is a wonderful thing.

I absolutely adore them and so does my husband. I often joke that the man I married comes out to play while on vacation.

Our first vacation as a family was spent on a VT lake in a mobile home made possible through the generosity of an uncle. We went with a car load of groceries and not a lot of money. We hiked through the beautiful white mountains in NH, swam in the lake, took  tours of a maple factory, Cabot cheese, and stopped at a granite quarry. I was hooked.

It's been many years since that first vacation and we did manage to go almost every year. It may have not been Disney and certainly not overseas but we loved them.

Camping, we have gone in everything from tents to travel trailers. We took our grandkids for the first time for a weekend this summer in a tent at the beach. My poor husband hurt his back and was told by his doctor that he was too old to be doing that. We loved it and so did the kids. We are looking at the second weekend of Sept. for another round.

Stay vacations. Amusement parks with the kids, museums, hiking, and lake days.

Now that we are empty nester's and after a health scare a few years back we decided we better do what we want to while we can. It's funny when we thought I wasn't going to make it we would talk of our best memories and many of those memories were made on vacation.

We always go with what we can afford although we do go quite a bit further from home. I never go out of budget and generally come home with most of my spending money. My husband also works many overtime hours that he would not have to so we can afford these trips comfortably.

• Sat, Jul 27 2013 10:29 AM In reply to

I am all for doing things that encourage good health and happiness. If you feel this would benefit you then I say totally go for it. It sounds like GREAT fun to be quiet honest. I am not sure what your areas are like but I am sure there are ways to work around lodging and healthy eating options to support a healing vacation time for yourself. Some people lodge in their own vehicles to save money... you can also take advantage of park grills or bringing your own portable and a cooler and hitting up those markets you spoke about as need be. I think this adventure would be great fun for you, especially with your camera!
    I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • Sat, Jul 27 2013 11:16 AM In reply to

I don't think expensive vacations and trips are necessary. I think restful breaks from the every day routines in life are. I think getting out of the house and doing relaxing and fun things are something we need to refresh us and give us positive energy to keep on going.

$ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
Page 1 of 3 (24 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us