Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

beans beans and more beans

Last post 02-02-2014 11:26 AM by Jakiepoo. 31 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (32 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-22-2008 11:47 AM

• AmyC
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-24-2007
    • Posts 868

beans beans and more beans

I have never had much of an experiance cooking beans, or eating them for that matter, except for my stepfathers DISGUSTING bean soup, and refried beans.  Yet my DSIL that lives with us gets wic and we have an abundance of pinto and black beans.  What can I do with them?  I would prefer to stay away from soups, unless someone has a great chili recipe!  Keep in mind that I will need step by step..this how you deal with beans instructions as far as soaking and such.

Thank you!!! 

http://carneyexploits.blogspot.com

• 02-22-2008 11:57 AM In reply to

Re: beans beans and more beans

Pinto beans are good in chilli, cooked with a ham bone.....you need to soak them overnight, then in the morning, rinse them, cover with water. I bring them to a boil and then reduce the heat, cooked covered all day. Check often and add more water as needed. When soft, they are done.  For chillli, I just add some ground beef, tomatoes, onions, chilli powder, a tab of red pepper. Tomatoes can be whole, diced, sauce. It depens on the texture you want for the chilli. If you like the thicker, then sauce. You can add a bit of catsup. That  gives it a little sweeter taste or add a little sugar. Cuts down on the acid taste.   For beans and ham, I cook for several hours, then add a left over ham bone or chunks of ham. Both or good with cornbread. Babs 

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 02-22-2008 12:19 PM In reply to

In addition to the chili powder, I also add a good palmful of ground cumin to my chili.  It gives it a good, smokey flavor.  I also start with a base of diced onions that I let soften up before I add my beans and tomatoes.  Yum Stick out tongue ....time to make some chili now!!

--Mel

http://melboscorner.blogspot.com
  • 02-22-2008 12:25 PM In reply to

• AmyC
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-24-2007
    • Posts 868

do you drain off any cooking water before adding the chili fixings..or just leave it in, Do they need to remain covered with water while cooking?

Any other recipe ideas?

Thanks 

http://carneyexploits.blogspot.com

• 02-22-2008 12:47 PM In reply to

AmyC:

do you drain off any cooking water before adding the chili fixings..or just leave it in, Do they need to remain covered with water while cooking?

Any other recipe ideas?

Thanks 

I'll have to defer to someone who has soaked dried beans more often than I (it's been a while, I've been bad and used the canned).  I don't like very watery chili, so I would probably drain off whatever there was and add it back in little bits until I was happy with the consistency (which is what I shall do tomorrow hopefully).

I also like to add kidney beans together with cooled pasta, a little chopped raw onion and pepper and tomato and some italian dressing...makes a nice bean and pasta salad.

Black Beans are excellent with brown rice and salsa, makes a very hearty meal that sticks to the ribs (add a little shredded cheddar on top).

--Mel

http://melboscorner.blogspot.com
  • 02-22-2008 12:49 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-10-2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

You can mash cooked beans, like white beans, about 1 or 1/12 cups, mix with some cream cheese or goat cheese, mayonnaise, herbs of choice and seasonings of choice and make a sandwich with them. You can also make bean patties, adding a 1/4 cup of bread crumbs, 1 beaten egg yolk, a tbs. of milk or 2, to the above mixture and some flour to coat before frying. You can also add a little chopped onion and celery for flavor and texture. E

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • 02-22-2008 1:07 PM In reply to

I usually let the water cook down and then add the other things. Then is too watery just simmer and it will thicken up. Chilli can be eaten moe as a soup or thick....really thick you can add it on hotdogs. Babs

• 02-22-2008 1:09 PM In reply to

Beans need to stay covered with water while cooking, then when done, you can drain or just let them cook a little longer til the water cooks out. Removing the lid will speed that up. Babs

• 02-22-2008 1:56 PM In reply to

Dear All, THe way I cook beans is unusual, but scrumptious.  Preheat the oven to 250 degrees, ONLY.  Boil a full teakettle of water.  Meanwhile, sort & rinse beans.  Put the beans in a Dutch oven.  Pour boiling water over to cover & place in the oven.  Check after an hour; it's doubtful that they will be soft (ready) but they will probably need more boilign water to cover.  A new package of beans will probably cook in two hours.  Older beans will take longer.  Enjoy!  Yours in Him, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• 02-22-2008 4:51 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I cook my pintos in crockpot ... I use seasoning meat and bay leaf

I usually make chili the next day .  Crock pot it easiest way ...   

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
Page 1 of 4 (32 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us