Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

High Temps Are Budget Busters

Last post Tue, Jul 23 2013 7:59 PM by Cheryl. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 18 2013 3:30 PM

High Temps Are Budget Busters

This heat is having people across the U.S. cranking up the air conditioning to combat it. For those in the areas with the highest temps, this will be a budget nightmare.

But the Dollar Stretcher and all the frugally seasoned forum members are here to help you combat the heat and keep your electric bill as low as possible.

You can begin by reading this article on lowering cooling costs then read what other tips our members have for you.
    $ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • Fri, Jul 19 2013 8:26 AM In reply to

Re: High Temps Are Budget Busters

Link?

• Fri, Jul 19 2013 9:27 AM In reply to

• Gary
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Posts 412

• Fri, Jul 19 2013 10:35 AM In reply to

This heat wave is terrible! I am so thankful for AC. Don't know how those without manage. My prayer is that the power stays on. Perhaps this isn't energy efficient (or, maybe it is) but if you turn the furnace/AC fan (this is central air) to permanent 'on' it keeps all the air circulating and may cut down on how much the AC runs?Of course other kinds of fans do this too but are limited to certain spaces. IMO the most expensive thing to do is to purchase something...say a window AC...$300 and then not use it because it is too expensive to run. Important to think ahead! :) Stay cool everyone! Better days are coming!
  • Sat, Jul 20 2013 5:06 PM In reply to

The link didn't make it through apparently but Gary posted it. Many thanks.
    $ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • Sat, Jul 20 2013 5:21 PM In reply to

Yes, thanks for posting the link. I could use some energy savers right now...temps in the 90's to 100's most days...my electric bill jumped almost $100 this month!

• Sun, Jul 21 2013 6:54 PM In reply to

Our last electric bill was up $40/ I am sure the next one will be higher. We are only using AC at night but have needed it every night. Lasyt year. We used AC maybe 5 times the whole summer. I am using the clothes dryer more too. It is crazy. It has been so humid that the clothes were souring not fully drying. All winter, I didn't use the dryer. It is all backwards. lol, Babs

• Tue, Jul 23 2013 10:21 AM In reply to

• mattw
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 25 2013
    • Posts 6

Yeah, I thought it was hot in FL, but the northeast is definitely beating us this summer!

• Tue, Jul 23 2013 7:59 PM In reply to

We haven't had a bona fide heatwave here in Texas, at least yet. We've had 100 degree days as usual, but last week it rained nearly all week. Some days pretty hard.

What I do to keep the electric bill low is I never use the oven during July or August. I use those two months to clean it, a little at a time. I don't like using the 'self cleaning' cycle. I prefer the level of clean when I get my own self to clean it :)

Also, I live in a state where electricity has been deregulated, for over a decade now. It pays to shop the rate. With no changes to the HVAC unit, no changes to how often we're home or how the thermostat is programmed, the bill has gone down 60.-80. dollars just from changing electric providers.

Keeping up with the exterior caulk is another one, especially on the side of the house that gets the full afternoon sun.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us