Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

When do you start stocking up on school supplies?

Last post Thu, Jul 25 2013 5:27 PM by Gayla57. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 14 2013 5:10 PM

When do you start stocking up on school supplies?

Today I was reading the paper. I turned the pages past the front page, sports, business, variety and other pages. Then I looked into the ads. There were all sorts of things for sale.

Suddenly I saw ads for the upcoming school year. I started thinking about this and wondered when people started assembling all that will be necessary for the next school year.

When do you start putting together clothes and supplies for the next school year? 

• Sun, Jul 14 2013 5:20 PM In reply to

Re: When do you start stocking up on school supplies?

I'm past that stage of my life now, but when I did have kids in school, I usually started in late July, early August. Not that I wanted to, mind you--it always seemed like school had just let out!  And the list of 'necessities' seemed to get longer and longer every year. Tongue Tied  But whenever I saw good deals on stuff I bowed to the inevitable and started collecting everything on the kids' lists. I usually had a head start from the previous year, though, with things I'd bought on clearance. Target is very good for that--I still buy a few things on clearance there for DH to take to school and pass out to some of his students who really need them.

"The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Sun, Jul 14 2013 9:29 PM In reply to

I start early Aug but not for my kids. I buy markers to use in my child care. I buy a lot of school supplies to pack in Operation Shoebox for Christmas. You cant beat some of the sale prices. Babs

• Mon, Jul 15 2013 12:42 PM In reply to

although we home school and like Babs we buy for the shoe boxes  got  the ads from Walmart and Dollar General yesterday ... 

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

• Mon, Jul 15 2013 1:00 PM In reply to

Usually, around the first week in August Target has a good sale. So, then we go and get everything there, and at one time.

As someone mentioned, it seems the lists get linger and more elaborate each year. One way we save with this is teaching our sons to take good care of their belongings. That way things like backpacks, lunchboxes, scientific calculators, 3 ring binders or items for special projects e.t.c can be re-used and/or passed down to younger siblings.

Hannah

• Mon, Jul 15 2013 7:34 PM In reply to

• map578
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 25 2011
    • Posts 462

My daughter is shopping now. All the sales are on.

Last year she waited on book bags and there were no batman bags left. She went shopping today and took the last one off the shelf.

• Mon, Jul 15 2013 10:59 PM In reply to

all year for deals! but I like the sales for stocking up.  but I have lots from last year plus cleaning out the art drawer in the dresser turned up lots of erasers scissors, pencils ...all things the kids said we never have but had lots!  pencils seem to all year given out at festivals and events. kids have gotten at least 6 in the last couple of weeks.  nice thing with homeschooling no ones lists but mine!  also with just going to the homelearners couple of days a week saved the backpacks so they are in good shape.

I found the general curriculum books at a homeschool fair and value village.  local library has the science smart books so can photo copy from there.   always an eye out for a kit cheap at a thrift store!

• Wed, Jul 24 2013 8:41 AM In reply to

• ziggee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 18 2007
    • Posts 70

A few years ago my in-laws bought my child a Jansport backpack and it should last her until after college.  The backpack cost about $70.00, but it beats having to buy a new one year after year.  You can buy those when the states have their taxfree school holiday.  As for other school supplies I use the school supplies that are left over from the previous year and if I have to buy something new for new supply list I do. This year my childs teacher gave got some extra crayons and markers for helping her clean her room at the end of the school year.  Those items will be sent back to school with my child so the new teacher can also enjoy them. I can buy a lot of new clothes from garage sales or thrift stores a lot of clothes still have the tags on them and have never been worn.  If an article of clothing fits my child in the waist but not in length I just add lace or extra fabric to the item. 

During the school year I will buy facial tissue and disenfectant wipes to give to the teacher.

• Wed, Jul 24 2013 10:15 AM In reply to

got two workbooks from value village new and cheap. plus not old ones. I always look at the dates.  1.99 each englishsmart and mathsmart.  and at a clearance store I got a huge art kit for $12 full of markers, pastels, paints, colour pencil crayons etc. the kind that gives you 3 of each colour of markers.  have previous supplies but this way all complete and i have pastels.

• Thu, Jul 25 2013 5:27 PM In reply to

at local big box  store today we found pencils backs of 12 for $.05  got 100 of them along  pencil sharpers and eraseers .. Had packages of 150 paper for $.0.25 a package  got 100 of those and  any how with rulers  ..

brought a case of color paper and a case of tissue   those we always give to the kindergarten pre school  and pre K programs

my children have each need some paper and  and  copy paper   Michael only uses Mechanical penciles so I got him 10 packages and the graphing  paper he  loves to do graph.

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us