Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

books from childhood

Last post 07-16-2013 4:27 PM by Loveday. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-09-2013 10:38 PM

books from childhood

What were your favorite books from childhood? I remember Millions of Cats...I checked it out from the library so many times I think I about wore it out! :) Then I read the Flicka, Ricka and Dicka and Snip, Snap & Snur books (Swedish) The very first book I actually owned was Little Women. Recently (65 years later) I re-read it and still loved it tho a bit dated. How about you guys?
  • 07-09-2013 11:35 PM In reply to

Re: books from childhood

I loved all things Nancy Drew; read in bed with flashlight lol.  I also enjoyed Beverly Cleary books.  Also enjoyed Trixie Belden and Donna Parker stories.

Carol
    western NC
  • 07-10-2013 12:09 AM In reply to

Oh, this is one of my favourite topics.Big Smile

Mazie, I LOVED Trixie and Donna! I still have all my copies of those books; in fact, I've got one Trixie Belden (The Red Trailer Mystery) that once belonged to my aunt back in the early 50s. Beverly Cleary was great--loved Ellen Tebbits, and her teen novels (Fifteen, The Luckiest Girl, Jean and Johnny) are among my all time favourites. Lois Lenski's books--Strawberry Girl was my favourite. And a book called The Singing Hill by Meindert deJong, illustrated by Maurice Sendak. Beautiful story.

Little Women, the Little House books, Anne of Green Gables, the Katie John stories (anyone remember Katie John?), and dozens of 50s-era malt-shop/sock- hop teen novels. I devoured those when I was about eleven or twelve. I went to high school in the early 70s and I remember wishing life was like the 50s. LOL.

My favourite book from my early childhood was called 'The Little House' by Virginia Lee Burton. It was about a small house out in the country that eventually gets surrounded by suburbs and then a big city, and then gets moved back out to the country again. Its illustrations are what makes this book so special.

I could talk about childhood books all day.Big Smile

"The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • 07-10-2013 12:31 AM In reply to

• Sea
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-24-2013
    • Posts 790

The Wind In The Willows, Pooh, Hardy Boy mysteries, Charlotte's Web, Peter Pan, Jane Eyre, Robinson Crusoe, Ten Thousand Leagues Under The Sea, The Big Black Horse, Grimm's Fairy Tales, the Virginian, Alice In Wonderland,  The Land of Oz - so many I can't list them all.

• 07-10-2013 12:51 AM In reply to

As a child I would read almost anything. My favorites were The Swiss Family Robinson, Robinson Crusoe, The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew Mysteries, The Childrens Bible Stories, Mark Twain books and the Story of Slappy Duck.
    Riley
  • 07-10-2013 7:06 PM In reply to

Loveday: The Little House sounds precious! I loved the series Brenda Starr: Girl Reporter (remember...this would be the 40's for me)
  • 07-10-2013 8:43 PM In reply to

When I was a little girl in Germany an American family member sent us a 'goodie box' which included a copy of "Dick and Jane". I LOVED it!!! and that's where I began learning to read.

I've been a reader my whole life, but that book was the beginning. Smile

http://www.amazon.com/Go-Read-Dick-Jane/dp/0448434059/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1373503158&sr=1-1&keywords=dick+and+jane

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • 07-10-2013 9:14 PM In reply to

Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden. I still reread Tom Sawyer every couple of years, and Tom still makes me laugh.
  • 07-11-2013 2:16 AM In reply to

Grimm's Fairy Tales is my favorite when i was in primary school.

• 07-11-2013 12:42 PM In reply to

Kassy:
    Loveday: The Little House sounds precious! I loved the series Brenda Starr: Girl Reporter (remember...this would be the 40's for me)

Here's the Amazon page on The Little House: http://www.amazon.com/The-Little-House-Virginia-Burton/dp/039525938X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1373560794&sr=8-3&keywords=little+house   You can 'Look Inside' to see some of the adorable illustrations.  Big Smile

"The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us