Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Small frugal tips

Last post 07-23-2013 8:29 PM by timzagain. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (30 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-04-2013 10:48 AM

Small frugal tips

Many little things add up to big things...pennies add up to quarters, adds up to $$ etc. I'm wondering if some of you have a small tip to share. I keep hoping to discover some tip I don't already know about or am reminded of! It reminds me of the Tightwad Gazette in fact. Example: Is it still true that if you buy store brand lemon juice you can make your own lemonade cheaper than using real lemons/frozen concentrate/powder mix etc.? I recently bought the frozen concentrate and it was terrible! The thing I would like about making my own is that I can regulate the amt. of sugar! I don't like things too sweet!
  • 07-04-2013 1:15 PM In reply to

Re: Small frugal tips

There's a lot of little things you can do to save money. Wash and reuse plastic baggies, use dryer sheets twice or tear them in half, water down liquid fabric softener, save your soap scraps for making your own laundry soap, using flourescent or LED bulbs, not using the oven when it's hot, etc. I could go on and on. I have made lemonade with bottled lemon juice, you'll have to experiment to see if it meets your taste. Jill
  • 07-04-2013 7:22 PM In reply to

I don't know if this counts of not but when I'am using coupons I just take the amount I've saved with the coupons and get that much cash back to use in other ways. It isn't as easy as it used to be the coupons are mostly for junk or things I can't afford but every little bit helps.
  • 07-04-2013 8:56 PM In reply to

I'm thinking that maybe I should get a toaster oven. I hate to clutter up my counters but perhaps it is worth it as I do use the oven quite a bit.
  • 07-04-2013 9:17 PM In reply to

Kassy:
    I'm thinking that maybe I should get a toaster oven. I hate to clutter up my counters but perhaps it is worth it as I do use the oven quite a bit.

I use my toaster oven all the time. It really makes a difference. It's well worth the extra clutter on the counter.Big Smile

"The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • 07-04-2013 10:47 PM In reply to

I bought checks on line, the cheapest kind, I think from a place called carousel checks. It has saved a lot of money. I have also stopped buying greeting cards if I am going to give someone flowers or something like candy. I just give them the gift!  Greeting cards are getting very expensive. If I do buy a card, I get one at Trader Joe's for 99 cents.

• 07-05-2013 12:12 AM In reply to

Just came across a tip I hadn't thought of! In The Simple Dollar website (it's a great site) it suggested to put your shampoo in a pump dispenser. It dispenses less shampoo than a squeeze bottle does! Going to try it!
  • 07-05-2013 12:15 AM In reply to

Tracy: I like the idea of giving a gift but no card. It makes sense (unless you have someone who is very sentimental about their cards...like my sister).
  • 07-05-2013 12:28 AM In reply to

Saving the ends of your carrots, celery and onions in a container in the freezer, which you can make broth from when you have enough. Also mushrooms, they add the greatest flavor.
  • 07-05-2013 4:25 AM In reply to

Kassy:
    Just came across a tip I hadn't thought of! In The Simple Dollar website (it's a great site) it suggested to put your shampoo in a pump dispenser. It dispenses less shampoo than a squeeze bottle does! Going to try it!
    I should really try that. My daughters, both with thick curly hair, go through staggering amounts of conditioner! it is so bad that I'm forgoing the purchase of preferred brands and opting for cheaper and less effective brands! They will use $2 stuff and $20 stuff with equal impunity! Thanks for sharing that tip

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
Page 1 of 3 (30 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us