Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Summer 2013 Decluttering!

Last post Mon, Aug 19 2013 11:45 PM by tracyinmn. 26 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (27 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 21 2013 10:49 AM

Summer 2013 Decluttering!

Not that isn't needed with kids most of the time but this is the more serious decluttering I am talking about!   My goal is to have a garage sale and reorg and declutter the downstairs.  Upstairs too but that isn't as bad.

Cleaned out a couple of drawers in the kids art and craft dresser already plus the school books. working on my room..have a bag going ..so far a coat and a few shirts. a friend gave dd some shirts but since she is a lot bigger..keep some and get rid of the rest.   when I get the rest of my summer clothes out will go though them. 

Will go though ds room this weekend.  already dropped a bag of toys etc off at the school for the xmas gift co. where kids can buy xmas gifts cheap for family. fundraiser. great way to get rid of mcds toys and other things like that. 

I know the my little pet shop stuff is going plus tranformers and more.  told the kids they get the money so they are happy to get rid of them!

Share your decluttering efforts no matter how small or big! 

• Fri, Jun 21 2013 11:01 AM In reply to

Re: Summer 2013 Decluttering!

DH spent part of yesterday sorting and downsizing his stacks of t shirts. When I walked into the closet this morning his shelves were so much less packed than usual that I felt like I was in the wrong place. LOL. He also cleared some things out of 'his side' of the long closet in the spare room, so I think it's my turn now. We're soon going to have a trunk full of donations for the thrift store, just in clothes.
    "The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Fri, Jun 21 2013 3:45 PM In reply to

I need to go through the twins' closet-they have grown again and I need to pass on what doesn't fit anymore. Also need to go through the boxes in my basement storage area for the next size up for them. My linen closet is looking iffy again, so need to go through that as well. I really try to keep a handle on the linen closet, but no matter what I do it seems to end up needing more of my attention than I have to give it!  Anyway that will go on my to-do list for next week-will not get to it this weekend.

My basement storage is looking pretty good, and since we just used all the camping stuff on our trip, that is clean and reasonably well organized.

DH's workbench and garage need attention, but that will have to go on his list, not mine. I did a major clean out of my kitchen cabinets earlier in the year, so they are ok, just need to make sure they stay that way.

Good luck with all your decluttering projects everyone!

Hannah

• Mon, Jun 24 2013 2:03 PM In reply to

we did some of the reorg of the basement yesterday..finally..seriously we left it way too long.  dd was I didn't know there was a desk there I thought it was a junk pile.   most stuff in piles to go though since we needed the pathway for moving the desk to where the loveseat was in the playroom.   basically piled stuff in orderly piles lol  plus moved old dressers to the playroom so I can put stuff in them.   need to do a cleanout for the garage sale plus finding rooms for the craft stuff and things like the girl guide craft supplies because we don't have a place to keep them at the school. extra work supplies etc .  need to get tubs and boxes so we can sort right into them.  $1 box etc.

need another dump run!

• Mon, Jun 24 2013 2:41 PM In reply to

I just cleared out some of the clutter from my linen closet. Threw away a bag of old dust rags that I just didn't feel like washing yet again. I've got a huge bag of clean rags anyway, I won't miss those ratty old things. Have a pile of towels to donate to the SPCA, and some odd pillowcases to donate to the thrift store. Also a bag full of trial size shampoos and lotions to donate. I kept a few of them, but we just didn't need them all. Also cleared out the dresser that's been sitting in my hallway for months. A stack of Christmas linens to go to the thrift store, and the rest went into a plastic bin to store in the attic with the rest of my Christmas stuff.
    "The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Tue, Jun 25 2013 10:19 AM In reply to

Last Friday I cleaned about 10 shirts out of the closet some capri pants 2 swim suits a couple pairs of sandals that were in perfect condition but not comfy on my feet. Some of the stuff was almost new took to the thrift store hoping someone else could find some use for the items. I would rather donate than fool with a yard sale.
  • Tue, Jun 25 2013 11:33 PM In reply to

pulled out summer clothes and got rid of some.  moved some tshirts that are more souvenirs to storage with other ones (only about 6 in total)  instead of having them in my dresser.   doing a bit a day.

• Wed, Jun 26 2013 12:48 PM In reply to

I got another box to goodwill!  (then sadly brought home a crockpot to make yogurt in...darn it!) 

I'm hoping to go through clothes again this week in the evenings.  Maybe take one type of clothing or one drawer per day and do another weed out.  I've changed sizes so there are probably many things that can go.

The kitchen clutter is the hardest for me.  I get really attached to great gramma's jars and bowls that I have so when I tackle that set of things I'll probably have to get rid of the newer stuff that's in better shape!  If I had kids I could impose my junk on them but alas I have to face it myself.

• Mon, Jul 1 2013 11:59 AM In reply to

cleaned out a bunch of dd clothes and gave them to friends about 7 dresses, some shirts, sweaters, fleece and a couple fancy winter jackets.  

a start!   plus started a pile on shelving for the garage sale.  as flylady says 15 mins a day!

• Mon, Jul 1 2013 3:07 PM In reply to

I'm in. My "toss 10" is pretty much a weekly thing so I have only a few spots in my house that need to be seriously decluttered:

my storage room

office closet

grandchildren's closets (2)

one closet in my room

entertainment center

And of those, only my storage room will take more than a day, at most 2 days.

I would like to get some painting done this summer so I'm going to look at my calendar and schedule in the decluttering and painting. The good thing is, decluttering is free!

Susan
    It's all about Love!
Page 1 of 3 (27 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us