Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Summertime Soups Anyone?

Last post Thu, Aug 22 2013 10:55 PM by vivid. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 10 2013 11:14 AM

Summertime Soups Anyone?

Soups aren't just a cold time favorite, some of us enjoy them all year round. I love to make soups by the season, it never stops here. What about you? Do you still make and enjoy soups during warm to hot seasonal weather changes? What kinds? Anyone make any raw or chilled soups at these times? Let's share some ideas so us soup lovers can still "have our soup and eat it too!"... RECIPES encouraged/welcome please!
    I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • Mon, Jun 10 2013 11:38 AM In reply to

Re: Summertime Soups Anyone?

I honestly can take hot or cold soups at any time. During hot weather it is nice though to have some yummy light and cooling soups to enjoy. I make a lot of raw vegan soups with raw veggies and avocado for a nice creamy texture. I may also use homemade raw nut/seed (almond, walnut, hemp, etc.) "milk" as a base. I love chilled raw fruit soups too... gazpecho (spelling?) or chunky garlic-salsa style soups... I like to work with seasonal veggies, especially summer squash. They are great with apples in a nice smooth pureed bisque like soup... I don't do a lot of meat soups but a healing chicken soup or congee is welcome anytime here. French or Italian fish stew can make an elegant entree in spring and summer seasons with fresh herbs and lots of them and fresh seasonal vegetables. VERY SIMPLE mono style soups are also beautiful: fresh pea... fresh tomato... fresh cream of greens... rainbow carrots... golden beets...shitake mushrooms... a head of broccoli... asparagus... etc. you take one of these and a nice base/broth and some fresh herbs = you're all set! Then there are special bonus goodies to work with like fennel, jumbo spring onions, cucumbers, assorted hot and bell peppers, purslane, tons of fresh herbs and sprouts + seasonal greens and so on. Soup shots make great appetizers too. Color and creativity is great for these spring and summer seasons - impress the guests or family with a nice Italian vegetable minestrone soup but instead of pasta try making noodles from seasonal squash or harder veggies - carrots, beets, etc.
    I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • Mon, Jun 10 2013 12:12 PM In reply to

we love soup anytime   Chicken noodle is a hit here anytime and  my Vegetable Beef  they eat all the time Aunt , Uncle and I often have a cup ot spilt pea soup ..

I make a nice gazpacko , and a favorite here is cantaloupe soup so good  my Aunt makes a cool Cumin-yougurt soup

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

• Mon, Jun 10 2013 12:17 PM In reply to

Gayla, melon soups are soooo good.... so is pineapple with fresh greens... Hey, how does your Aunt make her yogurt cumin soup? that would be so good with fresh diced cucumber... yummmmmmmmmm and fresh parsley on top!!!
  • Mon, Jun 10 2013 7:56 PM In reply to

it has cucucomber , mint  and cashews ..   it wonderful .

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

• Tue, Jun 11 2013 5:12 PM In reply to

Gazpacho is something I've tried to like, I just don't and I have no idea why. I love tomatoes.. dunno.

I do cold veggie soups, but find others seem to find them more palatable if I call them smoothies and serve them in glasses. For some reason folks here have a mental block on cold + soup lol

I toss some leftover cooked veggie, still cold from the fridge, with whatever aromatics I have on hand, a little green onion or something, some veggie broth or just water and ice and a little frozen fruit, depending on what kind of veg. I like frozen peaches with kale, frozen strawberries with spinach. I've also found out I can't make a cold soup I like at all from cauliflower or broccoli. If someone has a good recipe I'd love it if you shared it.  And cold potato soup, that is one I will actually put in bowls. heh with a lot of green onions and also about half and half russets and sweet potatoes. If I don't have green onions, I hit it with a little cinnamon.  I've also made a cold sweet potato soup with a little unsweetened coconut and just a pinch of nutmeg.  I don't think I really set out or plan a cold veg soup, I just find whatever veggie leftovers I have, and go from there.

Great thread, BB

• Wed, Jun 12 2013 3:22 PM In reply to

I don't like cold soups at all.  I like clam chowder and potato soup but seldom eat them in the summer.  I love French onion soup but just can't seem to make a good one at home so I only eat it when BFF and I go to a restaurant.  I want to like tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches.  Just haven't found the right seasonings to get the soup to taste right.

We do eat quite a bit of homemade veggie soup in the summer.  I've got a cache going in the freezer right now that will probably have enough bits and pieces in it by the weekend to nake a pot of soup.

retired

• Wed, Jun 12 2013 8:10 PM In reply to

Cheryl, girl oh girl I challenge you to a soup showdown!!! (evil eye, this gives me an excuse to come taste test all your great soups lol)
  • Wed, Jun 12 2013 9:15 PM In reply to

haha BB!

Well, I love playing with food (grin)...

I hope you try that tom. soup recipe. It isn't mine, but man oh man it is good. Just had some leftovers for supper with a spinach/kale/chard bag salad mix, and tomato sandwich.

I'm no match for your culinary talents, though. lol

• Thu, Aug 22 2013 8:59 PM In reply to

I am on the hunt for an authentic recipe to make the broth used in wonton soup.

Not canned or boxed broth, but whatever the ingredients and directions are for making my own.

I happen to have pork ribs and chicken wings available. I also have garlic and onions.  Is that a good start?

Help...s'il vous plait!

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us