Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Age discrimination?

Last post Thu, Nov 14 2013 12:43 PM by MarthaMFI2. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (24 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 25 2013 9:34 AM

Age discrimination?

I got my RN at age 48, I have a part time job, but feel I am being passed over for interviews due to my age. My fellow older nurse graduates report similar stories, whereas the younger students have had a lot more luck getting hospital jobs. Has anyone experienced this, and are there any steps to take? At this point, I am counting myself lucky to have a job in the field, and I keep applying.
  • Sat, May 25 2013 9:53 AM In reply to

Re: Age discrimination?

I'm sorry this is happening to you. I do not have any personal experience/feedback to give you on this one but did want to jump in and say that we all love you here and those who are turning their cheek to you are turning down a wonderful woman and workers. THEIR LOSS. God will find you your perfect spot. Stay strong and know you worked hard through all that grueling training and will find something steady.
    I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • Sat, May 25 2013 10:27 AM In reply to

Thanks a lot, Bistro! I had a job interview for my dream job and did not get it. I downplayed my experience at the interview, feeling they were more interested in the nursing role. I think I need to talk myself up and go into more detail if I get the chance again. I would volunteer more, but don't have the time, to make connections. It was great to get an interview. I am applying for one job a week, hearing nothing. I know God has a master plan and I need to have faith and trust. Thanks for your kind words.
  • Wed, May 29 2013 2:52 AM In reply to

• vivid
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 2 2013
    • Posts 594

Just need to keep going and you will find what you needSmile

• Wed, May 29 2013 8:44 AM In reply to

I have heard others complain of being passed over and feel their age is a factor. I don't know what can be done here.
    $ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • Wed, May 29 2013 8:48 AM In reply to

I found this but I am not sure it's really helpful...

http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/publications/age.cfm
    $ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • Wed, May 29 2013 7:30 PM In reply to

Age discrimination is horrible and I think it's a lot more common than people think.  I worked in a tech field and when I left at 40, I knew it would be very difficult to get back into that field.  It doesn't mean that you won't find work, but it will be harder. 

The best thing to do is build contacts and network, network, network.  I think it's hard when you're new to a field though.  Do you have any opportunities through your PT job?  Is there room to move up or take on more responsibility?  

• Thu, May 30 2013 12:28 AM In reply to

Problem there big problem there makes me angry very angry to the point of wanting to srangle the interviewer and I get jailed for it... No its them young people have it made always have I looked for jobs before putting 12 to 13 apps. a week just to get a stupid interview, not one phone call and had to start all over again and again maybe 3 months later they call I say keep your bloody jobs I opened up my own bussines I nevered hired the young out of school I hired people who were my age of 34 to 35 or even in their 40's and 50's people with a brain under thirty five forget it I been there and hired some of them they did not work hard so I fired then and hired my family who neded jobs.

My point to my long winded story older workers have experience that I wanted I had two bussines almost resulting to I think half a million problem my husband screwed it up and he had to filebank ruptcey from the first title company and lost our business while I hung on to what I COULD in the other and I lost it all but my lesson learned.

But from hiring older workers they kept me afloat and they knew what they are doing while some snot nosed kid do what they want and screw it up for you but I want experience not a brat I need to babysit with but sadly its not that way bussines want younger and dummer young when no experience and the older need to stay in the jobs so the old turn old and the younger seem to get dummer I still hire older if I had a bussines again but no I am retired and yeah discrinated againes being just plain freaking old.   Sorry folks blowing and venting this is a sore subject with me...

Cindy ---
  • Thu, May 30 2013 12:28 AM In reply to

Problem there big problem there makes me angry very angry to the point of wanting to srangle the interviewer and I get jailed for it... No its them young people have it made always have I looked for jobs before putting 12 to 13 apps. a week just to get a stupid interview, not one phone call and had to start all over again and again maybe 3 months later they call I say keep your bloody jobs I opened up my own bussines I nevered hired the young out of school I hired people who were my age of 34 to 35 or even in their 40's and 50's people with a brain under thirty five forget it I been there and hired some of them they did not work hard so I fired then and hired my family who neded jobs.

My point to my long winded story older workers have experience that I wanted I had two bussines almost resulting to I think half a million problem my husband screwed it up and he had to filebank ruptcey from the first title company and lost our business while I hung on to what I COULD in the other and I lost it all but my lesson learned.

But from hiring older workers they kept me afloat and they knew what they are doing while some snot nosed kid do what they want and screw it up for you but I want experience not a brat I need to babysit with but sadly its not that way bussines want younger and dummer young when no experience and the older need to stay in the jobs so the old turn old and the younger seem to get dummer I still hire older if I had a bussines again but no I am retired and yeah discrinated againes being just plain freaking old.   Sorry folks blowing and venting this is a sore subject with me...

Cindy ---
  • Sat, Jun 1 2013 6:25 PM In reply to

I went back to work at age 52, after a 17 year absence from the hospital workforce.  There are ways to play the game: 

Mention in passing that your children are older & you are glad to no longer have to deal with those "childcare issues" - - RNs not showing because their own child is sick is quite common & much despised in the hospital workforce. HUGE advantage.

Because you are a recent grad, you have experience with the newest technology.  They don't always look to see how long you have been an RN, & sometimes they misread the date.  Since many older RNs are not totally comfortable with computer charting, mention that you love how much time the new computer charting saves, & that everyone across the care spectrum can access the info they need at their terminal in real time - - like RT can see when the meds were given, in case that affects their timeline for care.If there were certain machines you really enjoyed using, mention them.

A lot of the younger RNs hate scanning meds, & consider it a waste of time.  This is a big problem in a lot of hospitals.  Talk about how much safer it is for everyone when the "computer eyes" decide if the med is a match to the patient.  This is a biggie for liability control.

Ask what type of hand sanitation they utilize: hand washing, or santitizer foam.  This is a biggie under Obamacare.

In most interviews, they will ask what you think your worst skill is.  I always said "IV's.  I have always had to work on starting IVs; I am not a natural at it like some of my classmates are, but I can draw any required labs.  I just may have to try more than once to start an IV."  A ridiculous number of RNs have trouble starting IVs, and in some hospitals, they now have the lab techs do it.  No one ever held it against me.

They may ask what you consider your best skill.  "People skills" is a good one. If it is ture, you can always say, "I have never had a patient of mine complain".
Page 1 of 3 (24 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us