Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

How Often Should You Wash Clothes?

Last post Wed, Aug 21 2013 10:36 PM by Gayla57. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 13 2013 7:59 AM

How Often Should You Wash Clothes?

I watched a short video this morning on how to get clothes to last longer and save money. Watch this one and let me know what you think of the tips. Have you already been doing these things for years?

http://on.aol.com/video/how-to-make-clothes-last-longer-517767268?hp=1&playlist=127155&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmaing7%7Cdl12%7Csec3_lnk1%26pLid%3D308904
    $ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • Tue, May 14 2013 3:34 AM In reply to

• wanting
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 13 2012
    • Hong kong,China
    • Posts 511

Re: How Often Should You Wash Clothes?

thank you, very useful for me, i hate wash clothes every day, especially when i'm very tired on my works.
  • Tue, May 14 2013 3:17 PM In reply to

I think k clothing should be washed after one use. Although I've been neglecting my shorts lately.
  • Tue, May 14 2013 4:15 PM In reply to

I sometimes wear jeans more than one day, but otherwise everything gets washed after each use. I usually just wear pajama pants and t shirts around the house, so I only wear jeans or regular pants for a few hours at most if I'm going out somewhere (no, I don't wear pajamas to Walmart! LOL!). No sense washing them after such a short period of time unless I stepped in a mud puddle up past my shoes or something.
    "The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Thu, May 16 2013 6:23 PM In reply to

Work clothes and undies generally get washed after 1 use.  Jeans and my around-the-house clothes go several, unless I've been working in the yard, or have splattered something on myself while cooking.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Thu, May 16 2013 8:12 PM In reply to

Trying to pay attention, I choose to get as much wear as reasonably possible between washings. Jeans may actually go four or five days if I stay at home and do almost nothing. Other clothing is washed based on odor, spills, and stretched appearance. AM
  • Thu, May 16 2013 8:32 PM In reply to

For me:

undies are only worn once as are "undershirts" or t-shirts worn right next to my skin.

Jeans...well, especially in winter when I'm not sweaty I can go a week because I generally take them off right as I get home from work and put on jammy pants.

Jammies, about 2x per week i put on a new set.   Overshirts  can get worn twice if they are aired out between and it wasn't a sweaty day at work.

Socks...with smartwool socks I can wear them 2 or 3 times when I'm camping/hiking/working, but again, taken off and aired well between wearings.  Other socks only get one wearing.

• Thu, Jun 20 2013 2:48 AM In reply to

Thank you for the link. Indeed, this is a useful one. Personally, I wash my clothes after I wore it especially my underwear. I separately wash my work clothes to my regular clothes to avoid discoloration and save some cash because obviously my work clothes are expensive than my regular one. In terms of my jeans, I usually wore it for two days before I wash it.

• Thu, Jun 20 2013 5:21 AM In reply to

• vivid
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 2 2013
    • Posts 594

Helpful tips. It's summer here, i wash all the clothes i wear everyda.

• Thu, Jun 20 2013 6:12 AM In reply to

I think clothing should be washed after one wear. We tried cutting back on our detergent and the clothes do not smell clean. We will never do that again!
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us