Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Crockpot Beans and Refried Beans

Last post Mon, May 20 2013 10:08 PM by Gayla57. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, May 5 2013 12:08 PM

Crockpot Beans and Refried Beans

to who every sent me an email  I deleted your message by mistake .. for my crew I do this about 4 times   I have some in the family who love the beans whole in theri tacos or burrito and  more than once they ask for the bean to be not so mashed  I understand ..

I have cooked some black beans and they refried wonderfully  when I serve them the boys insist they have fresh limes ..  

Crockpot Beans

3 c. pinto beans (cleaned and picked through)
    1/2 an onion chopped
    2 or 3 garlic cloves chopped
    2 T. canola oil

I put all this in my crock pot and fill it to a couple inches from the top with water. I set it on high and let it cook about 5-6 hours until the beans are tender. Then I add about 1 1/2 T. of salt at the end of the cooking time. (Salt must be added last or the beans will toughen up.) I also use this recipe for black beans if I want to make refried black beans.

Refried Beans

2 c. beans and bean juice

I put this in a small black iron skillet with a little oil on the bottom and heat up, mashing as I go with a potato masher. Then I add a little shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese to melt through. I cook until the water has evaporated a little giving me the desired consistency.

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

• Sun, May 5 2013 7:53 PM In reply to

Re: Crockpot Beans and Refried Beans

Thanks for sharing this...I too make re fried beans the same as you do but I add sharp cheddar cheese and coked brown rice. Maybe it would be a little something for new for your family? TM
  • Mon, May 6 2013 12:41 AM In reply to

Gayla!  You put the salt in last!!  No wonder my beans are always like pebbles.  No one ever told me that.  Just told me what to put in there so I put it all in at once.  I will be buying some beans and trying this again!

retired

• Mon, May 6 2013 9:49 AM In reply to

my beloved friend Maria told me that I asked why she said you had it frits the bean are tough

we nade twi of pintos she was right I so sorry I never mention before  Never salt youe beans at the begining i hwve an old cookbook publish in the 1800  and tells you about salting last

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

• Mon, May 6 2013 9:56 AM In reply to

one more thing went making bread remember salt kills yeast  . that the number one rule in my bread classes .

Gayla57

• Tue, May 7 2013 8:32 AM In reply to

I'm so glad I found this thread! I've been wanting to do this...in fact, just noticed a bag of pintos I bought in the pantry and it reminded me I wanted to cook them and make my own refried beans. Like retired, I had no idea that salt would harden the beans. That might be what was wrong with some previous recipes I made in the crockpot. lol

I learn so much from you Gayla!

• Tue, May 7 2013 2:39 PM In reply to

This is how I cook my beans too.
    Thanks Gayla, for all your recipes, hints and tips that you post-they are all so useful. You are such a blessing to the forum!

Hannah

• Tue, May 7 2013 2:51 PM In reply to

I never knew that about salt and beans!Surprise  (of course, what I know about cooking in general would fill a tiny pamphlet, come to think of it. LOL )  So glad I popped into this thread today, thanks Gayla!.Big Smile
    "The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Thu, May 16 2013 1:24 PM In reply to

Gayla, you don't soak them before cooking? Just checking, as I'm planning to try out your instructions on this tomorrow. I have a bag of pintos that I need to use up.

• Sun, May 19 2013 7:51 AM In reply to

I followed the instructions exactly and the beans turned out perfectly! Now that I know how simple it can be, I'm done buying canned pintos and black beans! Thanks Gayla!

Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us