Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Ten Useful Things For A Buck

Last post Thu, Jun 2 2011 4:17 PM by gayla50. 39 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 14 2008 1:26 PM In reply to

Re: Ten Useful Things For A Buck

rolo:

box of 100 envelopes for mailing rent check...we only use 1 a month so this will last "a while"

baby oil, for DIY shower sugar/oil scrub and for body moisturizer

petroleum jelly, for moisturizing purposes

white crew sox

Blistex lip balm, the green tube, only $1 a tube, can't find it cheaper elsewhere

assorted pantry items that I can't find cheaper elsewhere 

greeting cards 2/$1.00, if I decide to buy instead of make

motor oil

dish cloths

100% cotton dish towels 

I can get everything except motor oil. The dish cloths and dish towels are just as good as anywhere else and why pay more for brand name lip balm if you don't have to? I have also gotten good quality socks for a buck a pair, both mens and womens and the stationary supplies are great, too.
    Marlene
    Dollar Store Style
    Home Decor From The Dollar Store!

• Tue, Apr 15 2008 8:48 AM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

The Dollar Store chain has a great automotive aisle...well worth checking it out if you are a car buff or have an automotive related need.   

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Tue, Apr 15 2008 11:12 AM In reply to

Marlene,

I just have to say that I am very envious! In Ontario, where you have Dollarama (I have never seen one in the states) we have gotten some very high quality items including small plastic containers I bought for dd 1 when she was in kindergarten (now Grade 5) and they are still going strong. Same with little kid socks. I have a pair I have been able to actually pass down from one son to another. I saw one floating around the other day, but I fear it's mate is sock heaven or wherever it is they go. The best buy, by far, though is some cast iron trivets(attractive and sturdy) for setting hot foods on the table. We tried to get more on a subsequent visit but they were all gone.

BTW, DH is a native of Ontario and when we visit we always make a visit to the local Dollarama.

Having said that, in regards to question:

1. Bubble bath for kids 2. Pears soap (last forever) and good for faces 3. 3-liter bottles of pop when we splurge for movie night. 4. food storage containers. 5. Breck brand bubble bath and shampoo for kids. 6. journals for aspiring writers 7. books 8.baskets for various household purposes 9. picture frames for kid art/poems and other keepsakes 10. scrapbook supplies such as stickers, paper punches. 11. DH likes the reading glasses especially those that come with cases. 12. Small household tools

Colleen

Colleen
  • Mon, Apr 21 2008 10:48 AM In reply to

• kabin
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 29 2007
    • Indiana
    • Posts 1,618

We have access to "Dollar Tree". "Dollar General" and another one (I can't think of the name right now). Dollar Tree is my favorite though.

Let's see. I don't go that often, but I find that seasonal items are a good deal. I also scour their bath and body section. I found some really wonderful body wash, lotion and body butter there at Christmas time. It rivals scents from Bath and Body works.

I also like the hand soaps, the hair accessories, socks, nail items.

A few years back I bought some of the big latte cups there to use for soup cups. (We don't drink coffee) They are still going strong. I have also bought a few ceramic plates there to supplement the kitchen ware. Nice colors.

I don't think many of the cleaning products are a good deal there, but all of the party stuff is, including wrapping paper, etc...

In the past I have also purchased plastic storage containers. If I don't lose the lids they are suprisingly good quality. I actually prefer to use real glass to drink from and sometimes their glasses are ok. I find them cheaper at Walmart most of the time though.

Every once in a while I find a decent book there and purchase those for gifts. Office supplies are usually pretty good.

Sometimes I get candy there, but not always the best deal anymore.

I guess that's about all I can think of right now.

• Tue, Apr 29 2008 8:28 AM In reply to

So much good stuff for a buck! Glassware, office supplies, socks for the whole family, tools - you name it, you can probably find it at a dollar store. They even have great baby stuff like bibs, feeding bottles, sippy cups, and our local store just started stocking brand name baby food, although variety is limited. The best dollar stores are constantly finding new things to satisfy shoppers' needs.

Marlene
    Dollar Store Style
    Home Decor From The Dollar Store!

• Tue, Apr 29 2008 9:29 AM In reply to

I get:

feminine pads, hairspray, qtips, shoe inserts, soap, ramen noodles...all for a buck.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Tue, May 20 2008 4:02 PM In reply to

I get gift wrap when it is nice and cards too.  I get canned veggies and other canned items.  My daughter loves the flavored applesauce that I pack in her snacks for school better than the "good kind".

There is a web site you can google, the 99c store chef.  This guy is fun to read up what he finds and makes goeurmet!!

http://the99centchef.blogspot.com/  Actually, here is his blog.

;-)

Henry Ward Beecher wrote, "It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich."

• Tue, May 20 2008 4:13 PM In reply to

dmc_2008:

I get gift wrap when it is nice and cards too.  I get canned veggies and other canned items.  My daughter loves the flavored applesauce that I pack in her snacks for school better than the "good kind".

There is a web site you can google, the 99c store chef.  This guy is fun to read up what he finds and makes goeurmet!!

;-)

Cool blog! This guy apparently attended high school right down the street from where I live!! How cool is that?

God bless,

Julie

• Tue, May 20 2008 4:13 PM In reply to

dmc_2008:

;-)

Cool blog! This guy apparently attended high school right down the street from where I live!! How cool is that?

God bless,

Julie

• Tue, May 20 2008 5:09 PM In reply to

Marlene Alexander:
    What are your favorite things to buy at the dollar store?

At Deals, I find Squirty Heads in the summer and always have to buy about 20 packages of 4.  They are pool toys, but also just the right size ball that a spaniel loves to chase them, or carry them around in their mouths.  The dogs love these toys, far more than the dog items carried.  :-)
    Lynnea the Dogmom
Page 2 of 4 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us