Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

What do you think of Extreme Couponing? Have you tried it?

Last post Tue, Jan 7 2014 1:13 PM by pmburk. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 27 2013 12:00 AM

What do you think of Extreme Couponing? Have you tried it?

I saw several episodes of the extreme couponing series. People get cartloads of items for almost free using clipped coupons combined with store sales and store coupons. To see people get 3 or 4 carts of stuff is amazing.... One family spends $3000 a year just to buy multiples of Sunday papers....Has anyone here tried doing this? What was your outcome or what was your most amazing shopping trip?
  • Sat, Apr 27 2013 7:34 PM In reply to

Re: What do you think of Extreme Couponing? Have you tried it?

I try and buy store sales with coupons and stock up only on what we use. I have noticed it is not as much savings as the show on TV but when I do this which depends on what is on sale I can usually save maybe somewhat over $50.00. Not too bad! I do use a coupon clipper service that has quite a big variety of coupons and a lot of times what I am looking for. I find I don't buy much of what is in the Sunday flyer. The coupons are 10 cents a piece but well worth it when you are buying to stockpile. The coupon service is: www.thecouponclippers.com :)
  • Sun, Apr 28 2013 11:55 AM In reply to

I think saving is great. can't do extreme couponing here.  but i have noticed most are buying alot of junk food or stuff that would expire before it can be used.  we had a thread on it. but if it works for you great.

• Sun, Apr 28 2013 12:49 PM In reply to

Extreme Couponing is an entertainment show, nothing more. I enjoy it like I enjoy other TV shows, but I don't aspire to have a room full of stuff I'll never use. A lot of these people seem to have some hoarding/deprivation issues that make them do what they do to such an extreme.

I don't do anything close to extreme couponing, but like others here I do combine sales with coupons on items I use all the time. I have a nice stockpile of health/cosmetic items like shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, etc, that I no longer buy unless I have a coupon AND the item is on sale. And I usually have three or four coupons for the same item, but that's because my FIL gives me all his coupons (he can't be bothered!), plus DH sometimes finds coupon flyers at work from the newspapers left in the teacher's lounge. We also get flyers at the commissary and in the mail, so it's not unusual for me to have, say, four $2 off coupons for the rather expensive anti-perspirant my DD and I both use in the summertime, and I'll use those coupons when the item goes on sale for $3.99, making it only $1.99 a package. That's a huge savings when its regular price is over $7 at Walmart! DD also likes to use the rather expensive Colgate Optic White toothpaste. I wouldn't buy it normally, but it's often on sale at commissary for $2.25, and I'll have three or four $1 coupons, making it much more reasonable (I usually use Pepsodent myself, I like the flavour better and it's super cheap at the commissary!).

So I save a significant amount if I'm careful and watchful of sales, but I restrict my coupon use to stuff we really will use. I just don't get the point of stocking up on 97 bottles of hot sauce, or a hundred-year supply of mustard, just because it's free or only cost two cents each. I only understand that mentality if it's being donated to the food bank (although most people who need the food bank aren't there for hot sauce!), but you don't see too much of that on the show. It's mostly greedy people who never, ever have enough, even if they have $20,000 worth of stuff stocked in their garage. And it's also occasionally people who use their huge stacks of coupons fraudulently. A couple people have actually been called out on that over the course of the show. That's the sort of thing that helps drive prices up for the rest of us, and may eventually reduce the number of coupons that manufacturers distribute.

Goodness, how I do run on! LOL

"The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Sun, Apr 28 2013 1:14 PM In reply to

My local store no longer doubles coupons or lets us buy more than 3 of the same item using coupons because of extreme couponers.  I used to be able to save quite a bit using them but now am lucky to save $10 a month.  I don't understand the CVS couponing and ECB.

retired

• Sun, Apr 28 2013 1:29 PM In reply to

retired:

My local store no longer doubles coupons or lets us buy more than 3 of the same item using coupons because of extreme couponers.  I used to be able to save quite a bit using them but now am lucky to save $10 a month.  I don't understand the CVS couponing and ECB.

retired

Retired, I think the coupon limit at my commissary is six, but I never have that many coupons for the same item at one time. And they never double coupons, of course. Some of the stores here do double now and then, which surprises me after all the Extreme Couponing controversy, but their prices are still a bit high for me to drive around getting the deals. My SIL sometimes SEEMS to get some fantastic deals when she double-coupons, but she buys a lot of prepackaged stuff and other things I wouldn't buy, so I think our savings in general kind of averages out the same, for the most part. (she's not military, so doesn't shop at the commissary)

I don't get the CVS system, either. I'm only just now barely starting to get the Walgreen system, but I only buy a very few items there anyway. I sometimes wonder if they make it so complicated to keep us from bothering to try getting the deals.

"The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Sun, Apr 28 2013 4:35 PM In reply to

our grocery store every 16 weeks  had a triple coupon sale so I would stock up on coupos it was often had brourght 16 or more as stock pile of things did that for year ..I keep what I knew we would use and the other thing went to the food bank

I still stock up one thing we havent brought tooth paste in a long long time ( got them free )

and bath room tissue  when we find a good will buy by the case ....

I order diapers buy the flat daipers the girls here get what they need and I give the rest out at the food bank .

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

• Mon, Apr 29 2013 12:07 AM In reply to

I'm in awe of the people featured on Extreme Couponing for the most part, though there are many reports of shenanigans. For instance

-Store managers are frequently contacted by extreme coupon producers and they give special allowances like allowing extra coupons to be used when limit is 4 coupons, overriding the computers when usually they wouldn't, taking coupons that they wouldn't ordinarily accept, allowing credits to be used for other products when ordinarily credits can't be carried over...
    -A young boy featured printed out fake coupons and used them. He later had to pay for the products.
    -A few other women used fake coupons as well, caught by vigilant watchers. More examples if you google.

Reading all the examples illustrated how fake reality tv really is. But the people who are so adept at couponing they can SPOT fake coupons just by looking at the 1 second receipt shown on TV...that blows my mind.

In general I don't coupon. Nothing I want to buy ever seem to have coupons avail, but before making a larger purchase I usually scour the net for possible discounts before making a move. I understand I'm paying more than I have to, doing things this way, but the peace of mind that comes from simplicity is worth it to me. :)
  • Wed, May 1 2013 12:48 AM In reply to

You know, I noticed a few things about the show as well....Like, people buying 77 bottles of mustard, only getting trial size products, purchasing items they don't need (diapers were purchased but nobody had any kids), and super-high sodium products.... DH said that hoarding seemed to be an issue as well as greed ( let's clean off the shelves!).... I enjoyed the fact that some donated their items. That saying, "If it's free, it's for me" is a great motto here. I don't blame anyone for that, considering our economy, you know? I hope that the products are rotated and can get used at some point. My best shopping was not a big trip by any means, but sometimes I can get a coupon for $1.50 off and the item is on sale for $2. That was waffles. I have found that a website krazycouponlady dot com has alot of great coupons if you can print them. I also use kellogg's rewards to gain points to earn coupons for cereal and waffles. I have used airline miles to buy the local Sunday paper as well. It is an entertaining show. I enjoy watching the full carts and price before the discounts. Then watch what they paid.
  • Wed, May 1 2013 4:53 PM In reply to

I tried couponing a few times over the years but it never seemed to benefit me much. One time, one single occasion many years ago I happened to get a coupon for a detergent that my store soon had on sale. With the coupon being doubled I paid something like 10 or 15 cents or less for that detergent. Once. lol

Most of what we eat won't have coupons, veggies, fruits etc. I no longer buy newspapers, but if I come across coupons in magazines, etc they are usually for items I wouldn't buy. Sometimes I wonder if manufacturers issue coupons for products that are experiencing lower profits, rather than trying to improve the product. Who knows.

I've heard of the extreme coupon show but haven't seen it. Not sure I'd be entertained knowing people are buying so much junk food. I'd worry about their health. heh

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us