Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Hair Color - I've saved at least $150 this past year by doing this....

Last post Sat, Jun 1 2013 9:39 PM by Mimi. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 25 2013 8:44 PM

• Mimi
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 4 2008
    • Posts 993

Hair Color - I've saved at least $150 this past year by doing this....

Hi Everyone!

I hope you are all doing well!

Since each box of hair color comes with enough to do a full head of hair, and I only need it for an inch at a time, I've been measuring out just enough for what I need. As long as you don't break the seal (just unscrew instead) or premix all of it, it works great. In my kit each bottle of color and developer is 4 oz, so I know that it's a one-to-one ratio. (Be sure to check yours!)

I bought (red) plastic measuring spoons from Dollar Tree to use exclusively for the hair color. Depending on how much my hair has grown, I use either 1 teaspoon of each or 1 tablespoon of each. I mix them well in a ball jar. You can also buy a box of disposable gloves at Dollar Tree and an empty ketchup/mustard type dispenser if you like from DT or save and thoroughly wash out the dispenser from an old hair color box. Because it's kind of thick, I don't especially like to use the dispenser since it's hard to get into the bottle. Instead, I use a (COLORFAST) makeup-type brush to apply the color for more of a highlighted look most of the time, but that's just me. While you're there, you can also pick up a plastic shower curtain or plastic tablecloth to cover your sink to prevent staining.

Even if it didn't save money, I would like this because I don't have to remember to buy hair coloring whenever I get a hair growth spurt. :-) (Because it's so easy, don't accidentally do it too often and over-process your hair.) It DOES save money, though! I've gotten, on average, 5 applications from each box! Instead of $9 each time, that's $1.80 each time!

I hope that helps someone! Blessings to all of you!

"...for the happy heart, life is a continual feast. Better to have little, with fear for the Lord, than to have great treasure and inner turmoil." Proverbs 15:15b-16 NLT

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.--Winston Churchill
  • Thu, Apr 25 2013 8:59 PM In reply to

Re: Hair Color - I've saved at least $100 this past year by doing this....

I do this myself every 6 weeks I know how it goes a pain in the butt but when I hit 60 in 9 years  I quit doing it but it sure saves us a bundle huh?? mimi

Cindy ---
  • Thu, Apr 25 2013 9:11 PM In reply to

• Mimi
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 993

It sure does! Good to hear from you, Cindy! I hope you're doing well!
    "...for the happy heart, life is a continual feast. Better to have little, with fear for the Lord, than to have great treasure and inner turmoil." Proverbs 15:15b-16 NLT

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.--Winston Churchill
  • Fri, Apr 26 2013 8:21 PM In reply to

DD#1 does her own hair too. She used to do mine but I havent colored it in a long time.  DD always checks the markdown bin at Walgreens and has found some good prices for hair color there, Babs
  • Fri, Apr 26 2013 10:46 PM In reply to

Mimi:
    It sure does! Good to hear from you, Cindy! I hope you're doing well!

Im doing better.. and your in good spirits cool and to top that you saved a bunch of money a gold star for mimi keep saving alittle money and really treat yourself to something that you totally like your do need some spoiling..Smile
    Cindy ---
  • Sat, Apr 27 2013 3:05 PM In reply to

Mimi - if you have a CVS near you, Loreal will be on sale starting tomorrow; buy one get one 50% off Smile

• Sun, Apr 28 2013 8:56 AM In reply to

• Mimi
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 993

Thank you, Cindy for the kind words! Thank you Babs and Mrs. Wog for the good tips! I have company this weekend, so I can't write more right now, but wishing you all a lovely rest of the weekend! :-)

• Sun, Apr 28 2013 8:56 AM In reply to

• Mimi
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 993

Thank you, Cindy for the kind words! Thank you Babs and Mrs. Wog for the good tips! I have company this weekend, so I can't write more right now, but wishing you all a lovely rest of the weekend! :-)

• Sat, Jun 1 2013 9:39 PM In reply to

• Mimi
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 993

I thought that I'd bump this up now that I know how to make paragraph breaks. :-)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us