Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Star Lives on Less Than $2 a Day

Last post 05-05-2013 2:36 AM by Cheryl. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-24-2013 7:38 AM

Star Lives on Less Than $2 a Day

Ben Affleck is supporting an awareness movement and has pledged to spend only $.150 to eat one day.

I see many negative comments to this news bit. I don't understand it. The man is choosing to support something that makes people aware of their spending. He doesn't have to participate at all but he is. Maybe he will learn something as well. I don't see this as a bad thing.

http://on.aol.com/video/ben-affleck-and-sophia-bush-will-live-on-less-than--2-a-day-517754829?hp=1&playlist=127161&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdaily-buzz3%7Csec4_lnk1%7C303038
    $ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • 04-24-2013 8:09 AM In reply to

Re: Star Lives on Less Than $2 a Day

I heard about this yesterday...Ben Affleck, Sophia Bush, Josh Groban. I think it's a good thing. It sheds light on the subject. I did see in the fine print, though, the celebrities don't necessarily have to do the entire 5 days. They are really just figureheads to gather attention, though, so I don't think that matters whether they finish or not.
  • 04-24-2013 8:53 AM In reply to

I think that it is something all of us should think about for ourselves. I dont mean that we have to do it. But to try to figure out what it would mean to us and our familys, Babs
  • 04-24-2013 2:23 PM In reply to

I read that Ben Affleck pledged to a day. I'd be more impressed if he did five but he doesn't owe anyone that.
    $ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • 05-01-2013 3:18 AM In reply to

I think the only people who should criticize him are those who have done it, and longer.

1.50 would be three meals of beans and rice or some such, maybe moreso at the markets in his neighborhood. One day is enough to impress me. I wouldn't be willing to do it.

Giving funds is what helps. Eating the way they do may increase our empathy, but does nothing to help them.

• 05-04-2013 2:41 PM In reply to

• Elsi
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 11-12-2009
    • TX, USA
    • Posts 503

In this same campaign, a BBC journalist (Milligan) writes how he was able to eat for 5 days on £5, or £1 per day.  Another journalist has analyzed the first article and call "foul".  He points out that Milligan bought food in the bulk/family packs and used only a small portion of it, reporting only the cost of the portion that he ate and totally ignoring the waste/cost of the food not eaten.  It's an interesting article.

• 05-04-2013 8:46 PM In reply to

Well, I've done the various food stamp challenges, and it only works healthily if you take your monthly allotment dollar figure and shop. Weekly is too many small, expensive portions. Monthly allows for more economical sized packs. And fresh produce. Eat the highly perishable first, leaving apples, carrots, potatoes, etc for later. I also left some of the allotment in the envelope I labelled EBT, so I could get produce later in the month. I bought tea bags as well, and that only worked thinking monthly.
  • 05-04-2013 11:05 PM In reply to

Most of them are talking about 3rd world  countries  it a sham but who who taking care of  our Nations poor and older  and family  the ones who can't affford to feed their famlies ...we support two food bank  ...

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

• 05-05-2013 2:36 AM In reply to

I do agree we have issues here in America. I used to volunteer at our local food bank that served the entire county. Honestly I eventually quit because it was disturbing. Not because the recipients were hungry. The majority of recipients were not on assistance, driving vehicles more costly and newer than mine, and were there either because of poor choices or to see what they could get. The majority were overweight or obese. Maybe it's just like that in Texas, I have no idea. That was the disturbing part.

I realize they could be hungry also, but I can certainly understand people feeling compassion for those who are starving, have distended bellies, and living in a country without food stamps or other assistance from their country.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us