Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Crackers for long-term storage

Last post Wed, May 1 2013 3:28 AM by Cheryl. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (24 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 24 2013 12:15 AM

• Sea
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 24 2013
    • Posts 874

Crackers for long-term storage

What kind of crackers are best for long-term storage (disaster prep)? I like plain ones, like Wheat Thins, Saltines pretzels.

Also, is this a good buy - 2 twenty ounce bags of Wheat Thins for $14?

• Wed, Apr 24 2013 1:02 AM In reply to

Re: Crackers for long-term storage

Wheat Thins are always on sale here for about $2 a box. I think a regular box at that price is like 10 ounces. I went to the website but can't see the print that small, eyes are not as sharp as they use to be, sorry... Anyhow, if a box at 10 ounces is $2 here than 4 boxes to make 40 ounces would cost me $8 so according to prices here then no, that value pack would not be a good buy. I personally though would not spend $14 on crackers to begin with and something like that i wouldn't expect to see over $10 so $14 seems steep. I guess it all depends on your sales there and price differences, as well as how many you feel you need to have to stock up and how important they are to you. If that is a good value for your area and you need that much and feel them important enough to budget that price for them then go get em' Do you know the price of 1 box there?

How do you store your crackers once the bag is opened? I ran some expirements here with cracker storage. I liked glass best.

I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • Wed, Apr 24 2013 1:06 AM In reply to

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/shopping-storing/emergency-foods-00000000038238/

This has a small section about emergency food and crackers...

I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • Wed, Apr 24 2013 8:12 AM In reply to

I had several different kinds of crackers in my food storage. They don't stale like breads does.
    $ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • Wed, Apr 24 2013 10:53 AM In reply to

How do you store yours Brandy and in bulk or basic sizes? See crackers, chips, pretzels, etc. are considered snack foods here not survival ones so our need for them in an emergency prep supply like Sea's would be a lot less than if someone felt they could use them for survival foods. I would much rather spend money on nutritionally dense stuff to stock up on with crackers as a side item so only a box or two of whole grain crackers would be ideal here and I'd store them in the box unopened. Bulk crackers and a single occupant like Sea woud really give her a ton of servings... A good quality whole grain cracker could meet some whole grain needs which is good for survival but really lacks all the other stuff so a good supply would be balanced...so needs could be met as best as possible at those kinds of times. Sorry Sea, I know this wouldn't work for you since you don't do tuna but could do canned beans instead: crackers for whole grain souce with tuna (or canned beans!) for protein, olives or olive oil mixed in for healthy fat... canned vegetables and dried or canned fruit --- that could work well to balance nutrients and make things more nutritionally dense. Sea, if you bought the big bags of Wheat thins could you just leave them in the bags? or want to open one and divide? Do you have plastic containers to seal tight? or ziplock freezer bags to store on the shelf or your supply area?

• Wed, Apr 24 2013 3:04 PM In reply to

One positive thing about crackers and food storage is that they can be put in a plastic for tin container. IF you had to evacuate, crackers could be thrown in a tin in your backpack. They are good with cheese, peanut butter, tuna, any canned meat.  Bread cant be stored in that way, frozen yes but not if you need to carry it with you. It would be crushed quickly.  I keep an eye on the use by date on crackers, they can still be good up to six months past the date. Then they really start to taste stale. This is a food that would need to be rotated on a regualr schedule. Babs
  • Wed, Apr 24 2013 3:05 PM In reply to

I should have added that I would store in the boxes then in a tim after opening or if needed to transport with me. BAbs
  • Wed, Apr 24 2013 4:41 PM In reply to

GREAT advice Babs! I didn't even think of tin, what a brilliant idea. That is great. I should try that for the house. I think bulk crackers for a NON single occupant is more ideal if they need to be rotated... too much for one person may result in overall waste... Sea, you may want to save that $14 especially since you are really low on food funds and invest in a box of crackers for food storage, un openeded and then one you can enjoy in the home. Wait for sales if you can, crackers really are not expensive for basic ones and the off brands are often cheaper. You can find them at the dollar store for a buck...

• Wed, Apr 24 2013 4:44 PM In reply to

Can't forget that peanut butter!

Tuna... peanut butter... mashed beans... chili... are great shelf stabe items to use the crackers with. I know you aren't looking for meat ideas but canned salmon or chicken work well too for those who would want a meat-protein option.

• Wed, Apr 24 2013 6:59 PM In reply to

BargainBistro:
    How do you store yours Brandy and in bulk or basic sizes?

In basic size.

When the temp is over 100 degrees, there is no electricity and no way to cook full normal meals, light eating through the day is good. Some crackers, peanut butter and water really works well there.

$ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
Page 1 of 3 (24 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us