Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Raising a Backyard Brood

Last post Mon, Apr 22 2013 8:41 AM by LNBee in NC. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 12 2013 1:45 PM

Raising a Backyard Brood

Over 450,000 people search for info on housing their chickens. Are you among the growing number of people who are raising chickens in the backyard?

http://gardenclub.homedepot.com/chickens/
    $ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • Fri, Apr 12 2013 2:47 PM In reply to

Re: Raising a Backyard Brood

Not yet but we have discussed it. DD, Bean has 8 chickens. DS#2 has 20 chickens and four ducks.  They both really enjoy having their brood. In our town, you must get a permit and pay a fee, You can only keep 12 and no roosters.  I would like to do meat chickens. We have discussed it as a family. DS lives in a different town and can have as many as he wants to keep. He has one rooster. Babs

• Fri, Apr 12 2013 8:32 PM In reply to

How is Bean?
    $ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • Sun, Apr 21 2013 10:09 AM In reply to

• Ginny
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 21 2013
    • Posts 1

We purchased four Rhode Island Reds a couple of years ago for eggs.  We just purchased six meat chickens.  It is very nice to go to the backyard for fresh eggs in the morning verses the store. The first thing my family always ask when they visit, got extra eggs.   
  • Sun, Apr 21 2013 10:18 AM In reply to

I want very badly to do this. DH isn't so keen on the idea. Right now our lawn is very small, but I'm keeping this idea in mind as we search for our new place closer to DH's work. Been reading up a lot on chickens, and as an added bonus my realtor has quite a few they keep in chicken tractor.
  • Mon, Apr 22 2013 8:41 AM In reply to

I wish.  When living in the country in Iowa a number of years ago, we had several different breeds of chickens, including Aracaunas.  I let them out of the coop in the morning, they ran around the yard and barn all day, and I penned them  up at night.  I really, really enjoyed having the chickens and especially enjoyed those beautiful, rich, eggs with the almost orange yolks.  One of the hens went broody and about 10 chicks hatched.  Fun.  (When I read Psalm 91 about hiding under the shelter of Hiis wings, I think of the little chicks hiding under momma hen's wings.)  After we moved out of state and were living in the burbs, the eggs had to come from the grocery store.  After seeing the pale yolks from the store eggs, one of my kids asked what was wrong with the eggs.  Would love to have chickens again but at this stage of life we are in and out of town a lot, and there is no one we can rely on to care for them when we are gone.  I have to settle for getting my "chick fix" every year at a local hardware store.  Memories - sigh!

Ellen B.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us