Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

What does coconut milk taste like?

Last post 09-12-2013 8:21 AM by Niogyy. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-11-2013 6:10 PM

What does coconut milk taste like?

I've still got an unused can of coconut milk sitting in the pantry. Is it sweet? Is it bland, like regular milk?

Was watching someone cook with it on you tube; looks like it is very thick.

I'll be looking up some recipes...seems like it goes with chicken or shrimp? What about pork?

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • 04-11-2013 6:40 PM In reply to

Re: What does coconut milk taste like?

it is very thick and can be very sweet   I cook rice in my rice cooker with cocont milk

and I made a pudding with it a couple of time

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

• 04-11-2013 7:35 PM In reply to

Does the sweet and thick kind have sugar and thickeners added? Just wondering?
  • 04-11-2013 8:00 PM In reply to

Hi BW, I use it often. I actually used 2 cans of it tonight in my Asian soup. I use it mostly in Asia/Thai and Carribean/Island foods and dishes - especially curries and soups. I also use it when I make coconut sticky rice.

I do not find it overly thick or sweet. The only thick part is the layer on top. Shake the can well and then bottom from the bottom up. This will get everything out without having to scoop leftover thick parts. Shake, open bottom up, dump and the can will be clean after.

Do you like Thai food? Your best bet to use it would be Thai or soup oriented with chicken, seafood or shrimp as the protein. I would NOT recommend using other meats with it the first time you try it. I find it mild creamy with a light sweet aroma, nothing overpowering but heavy meats could ruin the first timer taste test for a dish - stick to the ones I suggested or use it vegetarian. You can make some delicious coconut curry or coconut vegetarian soups with it. Let me know if you'd like some ideas based on what you have. Awhile back I suggested an Asian soup for you with stuff you had on hand. You put it off and I'm not sure if you ever got to it but the coconut milk would be  great addition to that one...

I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • 04-11-2013 10:52 PM In reply to

It's that can from long ago.  "Golden Star" is on the label. The contents are, 'coconut milk, water'.

Have never had Thai food, but I do like and cook with curry. The can has a recipe for rice pudding, but something 'main dish' with chicken or shrimp sounds more appealing. With a little green onion, garlic and some cashews or almonds?

Will try it sooner or later. Smile

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • 04-11-2013 11:00 PM In reply to

BW you don't even need my silly suggestions! You always have a nice brew of resourceful ideas yourself with delish outcomes. I have seen pics! The proof is there! Your idea for cashew-coconut curry with shrimp is DIVINE with fresh green onion on top... 5 star... PLEASE let me know how you use it whenever you do!

I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • 04-11-2013 11:43 PM In reply to

Mom uses it to drink she can no longer have lacate mmilk or the non so in the coffee she uses coconut milk and its great to bake with soup and to dip bread in and make french toast

chrissanne
  • 04-11-2013 11:55 PM In reply to

Sissy, the kind Mom is drinking is the refridgerated coconut milk... I doubt she is chugging canned coconut milk LOL that would be quite a different adventure.... Canned coconut milk is used in cooking and refridge stuff is used more for beverages/drinking... You can use it to cook but the taste is different from what I've noticed. I would never drink coconut milk in the can used for cooking, just not my thing due to taste preferences... I use to make it fresh from coconuts with the meat and water, now that is the ultimate treat right there for drinking or cooking but best for drinking and SO nutrient rich. I am experienced with Thai youngs!

• 04-13-2013 2:05 PM In reply to

Ok Ok I did a pooper scooper  mistake..lol good one bb but its canned forgot you can't drink the cream to well magor problems..  lol

chrissanne
  • 04-13-2013 8:42 PM In reply to

BargainBistro:

Sissy, the kind Mom is drinking is the refridgerated coconut milk... I doubt she is chugging canned coconut milk LOL that would be quite a different adventure.... Canned coconut milk is used in cooking and refridge stuff is used more for beverages/drinking... You can use it to cook but the taste is different from what I've noticed. I would never drink coconut milk in the can used for cooking, just not my thing due to taste preferences... I use to make it fresh from coconuts with the meat and water, now that is the ultimate treat right there for drinking or cooking but best for drinking and SO nutrient rich. I am experienced with Thai youngs!

Hi BargainB., Sounds to me like you are an excellent cook and really know your food items! I like how you used to make your own coconut milk. Christine
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us