Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Need Help Tracking Expenses

Last post 01-08-2014 4:18 AM by stephiedaniel63. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-03-2013 8:22 PM

Need Help Tracking Expenses

Hi Everyone, I really need some help here.

I am looking for a non complicated and easy to use program or system on my computer to document daily spending and budgeting each month. I have Microsoft programs and they put me in a head spin - too many charts, lines, graphs and stuff to look at. I have tried to use the calendar and you have to imput things based on time and schedule so it doesn't work. I have tried to make my own and they are really hard to follow. I need something organized and easy to look at where I can go and view a calander of that month and type in daily spending and ending balance to follow my spending and budget better. Think of someone who is a complete beginner and needs something easy.

Any ideas? suggestions? referrals? I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much. I need to do better this month with spending and this will be a good start.

I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • 04-03-2013 10:29 PM In reply to

• Juana
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 08-13-2011
    • Cincinnati
    • Posts 180

Re: Need Help Tracking Expenses

I use a program called dsbudget and really love it. You can set whatever expense categories you want, color code them, it's free to download and use, and you can toggle the graphs on and off. There isn't really a calendar view by day, but it does show each time you spend underneath the category, and counts down as you enter expenses. It does depend on remembering to document everything though, and I find it hard to get back on track if I get behind!

I really like being able to set my own categories, and have them change from month to month. So every third month when money goes into retirement savings, I cna just enter that category for that month instead of having it be automatic across every month. Also, I color code the most important things like rent, utilities, etc differently from optional expenses like haircuts and clothes. 

You can check it out here: https://sites.google.com/site/dsbudgethome/

• 04-04-2013 12:29 AM In reply to

Juana, that is so awesome. THANK YOU. Okay so I downloaded and set it all up and tracked today's spending. I am really nervous though. I see it come up on a Google Chrome webpage.

1. How do I save the info? or does it autosave and everytime I re-enter the program it will come up the same way it did before I closed the program and auto save?

2. Can others access this info or is it just on my computer only?

3. Do I have to be online in order to use the program?

I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • 04-04-2013 12:31 AM In reply to

If you can find a copy of Money Matters by Larry Burkett, that is about the best software for budgeting.  Look on eBay or Amazon. It pops up every once in a while.  Here are some other options:

http://www.household-budget-made-easy.com/free-budgeting-software.html

If you are new at budgeting, I recommend a pen and paper system to help you internalize what is really going on in the budgeting process.

I am a Personal Financial Coach helping individuals across the country save money, get out of debt, and live financially free without selling insurance, investments, or fancy software. Just plain 'ole common sense principles that work.
  • 04-04-2013 9:22 AM In reply to

• Juana
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 08-13-2011
    • Cincinnati
    • Posts 180

BargainBistro:
    1. How do I save the info? or does it autosave and everytime I re-enter the program it will come up the same way it did before I closed the program and auto save?

2. Can others access this info or is it just on my computer only?

3. Do I have to be online in order to use the program?

That confused me at first too- it does autosave when you close it, no need to do anything. I believe it just comes up in a browser because it's just very basic software needs a platform to run, if that makes sense. It will work offline, and doesn't send or download any data. It just uses the browser as a way to display and manipulate the numbers. 

This FAQ addresses your questions better than I probably am! https://sites.google.com/site/dsbudgethome/documentation/faq

• 04-04-2013 9:38 AM In reply to

Thank you both so much! You have no idea how great of help this is.

• 04-04-2013 2:35 PM In reply to

I also want to add in to this...deep breaths, it will be ok.

$ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • 04-09-2013 3:47 PM In reply to

I've been using Mint.com and I find it very handy and pretty intuitive. Takes some time to set it up, but worth it, I think!

• 04-21-2013 8:02 PM In reply to

• Juana
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 08-13-2011
    • Cincinnati
    • Posts 180

Getting toward the end of the month- how is dsbudget working out for you? I actually did a good job at keeping up with it this month, and was able to put more than usual into savings! Big Smile
  • 04-21-2013 9:00 PM In reply to

Im a geek they say at my second job a brain E ack they call me why I yet to un derstand them...

Ok I use quicken ok Im stupid when it comes to keeping track of things and house hold expense cindy already set that up for me and yes its free how to get it I have it instilled in part of my sofrt ware programe you might have it too.  Go to desk office on your computer and see if you have it if not then I know some one in this community may know I yet I donnot know Im stupid when it comes to this ..

chrissanne
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us