Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

What would you buy for the sake of convenience?

Last post Tue, Feb 12 2008 12:16 PM by Edey. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (22 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Feb 9 2008 6:16 PM

What would you buy for the sake of convenience?

I was perusing Pat's Extremely Frugal blog http://patveretto.com/blog/extremelyfrugal.html  Great tips!!

But I was reading the one describing how to make powdered sugar. I love that idea in case i run out! However, I think I will pay the .69 a bag sale price for the real deal, rather than always making my own.

It got me to thinking. What do you purchase instead of making yourself - trading convenience for frugalness?

I guess mine is powdered sugar and cake....now I buy cake mixes at .59 - .79 a piece. It's hard to make a cake from scratch for that. I save the homemade cakes for specialty kinds.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Sat, Feb 9 2008 6:26 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Re: What would you buy for the sake of convenience?

Pancake mix, the complete..just add water kind. I get 24 waffles from a box. Dont have to add eggs. I get it for around a dollar a box. Easy and cheap.    Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Sat, Feb 9 2008 6:31 PM In reply to

• kabin
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 29 2007
    • Indiana
    • Posts 1,618

Hi Michelle,

I buy cake mixes and sometimes premade icing, except duncan hines, yuck. I also buy some rice mixes, pizza, and ocassionally frozen hash browns, when on sale. Oh, ad I will go to Walmart and buy a big bag of shredded cheese because it's actually the same or cheaper to buy it that way. We go through a lot of cheddar. There are a few other thigs that I might be if they are on sale, but not many. Mostly I prefer homemade to premade anyway. I have never made my own powdered sugar though. I don't much of it.

Kathy

• Sat, Feb 9 2008 6:43 PM In reply to

Let me see, sweetened condensed milk, slivered almonds, boxed or canned eggs whites(hate to toss the yolks of real eggs), dehydrated blueberries(they are expensive in their true form here),  soy milk(haven't ordered beans in a year), powdered cheese, canned peaches(for peach jam and butters), dried soup mixes, bottled catsup and bottled mayo.  I am sure there are more things..  : )

Brainschef Michelle 

• Sat, Feb 9 2008 6:46 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Brianschef:
    soy milk(haven't ordered beans in a year)

You weren't making your own milk were you?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sat, Feb 9 2008 6:53 PM In reply to

Yes, I have a soy milk maker.  We use Laura Soybeans.  And let me add the milk is for Brian, I cant drink it for health reasons, he is lactose intolerant.

Brianschef Michelle 

• Sat, Feb 9 2008 7:11 PM In reply to

• I'm also for buying big bags of shredded cheese. When I try doing it on my own, the cheese turns clumpy/cakey.
    • dried fruit; I am seeing trying to dehydrate my own as an inconvenience
    • sourdough bread (being alone and not eating that much it wouldn't be worth keeping a starter) 
    I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • Sat, Feb 9 2008 7:11 PM In reply to

Pancake syrup if it's cheap, powdered and brown sugar, oreos- are those a convenience?  I love double stuff a few times a year, bread, sliced cheese, Kleenex, feminine hygiene products, baby wipes, diapers- I'm not into washing all that stuff-laundry soap, clothes, I don't sew clothes, and candy and valentines come to mind as we are going to buy these.  

Tracy
    Beginning Debt Slayer

• Sat, Feb 9 2008 8:49 PM In reply to

My list would be long!  besides diapers, kotex etc, laundry soap etc.   Pancake mix, syrup, cookies, bread, candy, cake/brownie mixes, frozen pancakes/waffles, sliced/shredded cheese, canned soup, beans etc, cards,  don't sew clothes, frozen pizza, juice boxes, snack bars like sweet and salty or rice krispies squares, perogies, kraft dinner, chicken strips, burritos stuff like that.   On the other hand, the majority of the stuff I buy as cheap as possible. It would cost me more to buy the fabric and make clothes then buy them cheap or second hand.  Pancake mix/syrup we only go though a couple of each a year.  Cheese is min a lb here and takeout pizza min $10 each so $5-6 for a frozen pizza is good.   I don't actually used much canned soups etc.  Most of the convenience stuff is canned ravoli or microwaved bowls etc for lunches or pizza pops.  Actually usually works out cheaper then making a ham sandwich etc.  Having a couple of cheese strings or nut bars, juice boxes in the car or diaper bag for snacks saves more money then eating at a fast food place and it doesn't spoil fast.

With sales or dollar store,  I can get most things at a really good price.  Except for diapers and things of that nature, the only things I buy on a very reg basis is cheese strings and juice boxes.  I can get baked goods most times very cheap.  Also the savings factor, a box of 30 rice krispies square lasts dh about 4-6 mths for lunches but if I had to make them all the time, it would be more expensive and bad for the waist line. I do make them for kids school parties. popular thing with kids and teachers. The teachers like them because they aren't messy. I dress them up with sprinkles etc for birthdays.

Actually typing this, I realized most of the convenience food is for the rest of the family or homestay students who can't cook or too little to cook!

My Family's Interests
  • Sat, Feb 9 2008 10:03 PM In reply to

• dolly77
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 27 2007
    • Way Down South
    • Posts 295

It's interesting to see what others view as convenience items---I'm seeing things in a whole new light!  I can't bring myself to say that feminine napkins are a convenience because I know I would never make my own.  Then again, I never thought about cake and pancake mix as being a convenience.  I guess it's like saying butter is a convenience because I didn't churn it myself!

My initial response to the question: 

For conveniece I buy: baby cut carrots, bagged salad, shredded cheese.

But now I'm thinking, wait a minute....lunch meat, mayonnaise, detergent, salad dressing, frozen french fries, rice mixes...the list goes on and on!

Page 1 of 3 (22 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us