Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Does anyone else like "American Pickers"?

Last post 04-07-2013 8:19 AM by sunshinetreva. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-02-2013 10:21 PM

Does anyone else like "American Pickers"?

I really enjoy watching Frank and Mike travel around finding interesting items to 'pick'.

They have an amazing amount of knowledge on so many topics...history, the military, entertainment, cars, bikes, motorbikes, etc.

Some of it is kind of sad, though. To see how much passion some people invest in things that eventually rot and decay.

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • 04-02-2013 11:08 PM In reply to

Re: Does anyone else like "American Pickers"?

HELLYA mom and cindy middle sister and I watch it all the time we talk about it in the email what things those guys got and so far I have in interest in oil lamps they taught me the turn of the centry last centry that is what those lamps look like now Im on the hunt so far I got one lamp looking out for another.

chrissanne
  • 04-03-2013 7:39 AM In reply to

I watch from time to time. It's amazing what they found but also shocking to see how much stuff people pile up but never use or even can enjoy but won't let go of.

$ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • 04-03-2013 8:02 AM In reply to

Thinking more on this...

Is there a deeper think reflected in this show? We see people in this one and others who just pile things up and save them. Is that becoming the norm?

Is it time for a decluttering in our own lives, time to let go of stuff we don't really use or need to make room for air, comfort and ease of finding the things we do use?

• 04-05-2013 7:47 AM In reply to

• Walt34
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-17-2007
    • WV eastern panhandle
    • Posts 1,400

I've seen it from time to time but don't make a point to watch it. Some of those people would be candidates for "Hoarders" and it is kind of sad to see how much of their resources have been expended on accumulating stuff that they won't let go of or do so reluctantly.

While the show makes much of the spread between what they buy something for and expect to sell it for, they don't say a word about their travel expenses, cost of running the shop, costs of restoring the artifacts, and the like. So I doubt it is as profitable as the producers make it out to be.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Money Management
  • 04-05-2013 10:34 AM In reply to

Walt34:
    While the show makes much of the spread between what they buy something for and expect to sell it for, they don't say a word about their travel expenses, cost of running the shop, costs of restoring the artifacts, and the like. So I doubt it is as profitable as the producers make it out to be.

I have heard people comment on the amounts they make but that's how business works and this is their business. If any of us were to go into retail, restoration or the like, we'd have to cover our costs and make our living off it.

• 04-05-2013 11:28 AM In reply to

I love American Pickers, mainly because of the interaction between Mike, Frank, and Danielle. I also love how they really try to respect the people whose stuff they pick, and try to give them fair wholesale prices on the items they buy. I'm sure they make a very good living at what they do, between their shops (Frank has a shop of his own as well as the two in Iowa and Tennessee that are featured on the show) and what the show pays them.

Funny someone upthread mentioned Hoarders. For awhile, Hoarders came on at ten pm on Mondays in my area. So I would watch Antiques Roadshow at eight, American Pickers at nine, and Hoarders at ten. From the sublime to the ridiculous, you might say. One end of the spectrum to the other. And then I'd be inspired for a day or so to clear things out of my own house! LOL!

"The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • 04-05-2013 12:18 PM In reply to

I watch it sometimes.  Prefer pawnstars and british antique roadshow.  We have canadian pickers here so of course watch that when it is in our neck of the woods. they shot part of an show at the store at the end of the street.  a store we don't go into because he overcharges on everything! a demo co.  so some interesting stuff but charges more for used hammers then you can get new.

• 04-07-2013 8:19 AM In reply to

We watch from time to time. We passed a house yesterday that we thought they might enjoy. LOL I grew up in a house where my parents worked together every day, yet I am always impressed by couples who can do that and make it look it fun. I love my DH, but I'm not sure I could work with him every day.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us